Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Guides and Tutorials

Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Speaker

Thank you for the response, welcome, and condolences.

#firstworldproblems

Inside of the save folder and main folder are all of my characters in their own folders. I validated when I pasted it into the non cloud location.

I copied the exact same folder back into place when checking to make sure I could return to cloud settings.

It is probably something I am doing wrong...lol.

ETA: I am tracking on the numbered folders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by slick4hire; 11-11-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Praetorian

Well I have to say I'm confused...

Can you possibly take a screen shot of your GD settings on the General tab and one of the contents of your \Main folder so I can see the address bar.

Cheers
Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Speaker

I will screenshot current settings (returned to cloud until I can figure this out) and my (to this point obviously incorrect) second attempt local settings this evening.

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Speaker

Here are my current settings. It was suggested that I not share the first numbered folder so it is blacked out. I will go back through the process and post screen shots for direct comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Current Folders.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	20035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Current Steam Settings.png
Views:	271
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	20036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Current Grim Dawn Settings.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	20037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Current Character Screen.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	20038  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Speaker

And what do you know. I swear I did exactly the same thing. Now it is working.

Feeling rather foolish, but would love to know what I failed to do the other day.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 PM
Speaker

Unhappy

Hi, I wish I found your post earlier. Here is my situation:

I started playing GD with Cloud Saving ON.

I had several characters, none are optimal cause I didnt know much about the game back then. As time goes on and I learned more about itemization and different builds, I increasingly felt the need to have a stack mod. I installed GDStash. And yes, I did read the warning regarding using GDSTash with Cloud Saving on. Things were going fine, I made use of the unlimited stash space quite well and did really enjoy the game ever since.

But one day I made one mistake. And every thing in my stash is gone. Mats, legs, potions, gone. I couldn't recover it at all. the only thing left is my characters and the gear i wear and the stuff in my bag. I felt horrible.

Then I made a decision to switch to local save file. But I did not transfer any characters from cloud to local cause I didn't know we could do it So I started fresh. I did use GDStash to cheat some help items to get started super quick.

And now, I have like 15 characters with around 10 of them being maxed out. I really enjoy this game. I have a lot of build ideas, I generate them so fast I cannot grind character fast enough. For example now, I just had an idea for a Witch Hunter, but I don't have one.

However,

I do have a lv 90+ Witch Hunter in my cloud save! and so I digged, dived deep in my file explorer to find those cloud saves. And nothing showed up. I find no "Steam" folder, no "219990" folder no nothing.

So my question is: After checking "Cloud Saving" in Grim Dawn settings, do all my cloud save characters get deleted ((((((

Can I recover them somehow?????

I don't mind grinding a new Witch Hunter again but it will be super neat if I can get him back.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 AM
Praetorian

Hiya mcquany and sorry for delay in replying I've been rebuilding my pc from scratch.

First off, NO, Grim Dawn doesn't delete any of your saves, even if you uninstall GD, without you manually selecting a char in the char screen and select delete.

Regards your cloud save, what's the location of your Steam installation?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Speaker

you want the steam installation? or grimdawn? I think they are separate
Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Praetorian

You were saying that you cannot find your cloud saves, these are all stored in whatever location you installed Steam. GD does also have local saves in a different locvation, hence this thread, but these are only used when cloud saving is disabled and you said
Quote:
I find no "Steam" folder, no "219990" folder no nothing.
Hence why I asked where your Steam folder is, as you say you don't have one.

Hence my confusion. In the Steam folder, which if you have Steam installed WILL exist, is the location of the cloud saves, which is given in the very first post.

I really don't understand how you can supposedly have no steam folder etc.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknet View Post
You were saying that you cannot find your cloud saves, these are all stored in whatever location you installed Steam. GD does also have local saves in a different locvation, hence this thread, but these are only used when cloud saving is disabled and you said Hence why I asked where your Steam folder is, as you say you don't have one.

Hence my confusion. In the Steam folder, which if you have Steam installed WILL exist, is the location of the cloud saves, which is given in the very first post.

I really don't understand how you can supposedly have no steam folder etc.
Oh my gosh. You are right. So, my Steam is installed in a different location. And Grim Dawn is installed in a different location. And so I got confused. THanks a lot I found my character!

Tags
guides, save games