Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Counsel

Default [1.0.1.1][u][hc][g1] Avatar of Mogdrogen, Lightning/Pet Hybrid Druid, Beginner Hardcore

Hello! Have you ever looked at the Avatar of Mogdrogen and said to yourself “wow, I wish I could be that guy”? Well I did! I also was motivated by a few other things...

- I was/am sad that Druids suck currently. I wanted to design a Druid build in such a way that no other class combo could do what the build did better...whatever that thing was. No Ultos ripoffs or cookie-cutter TSS builds here!

- I wanted to figure out how to make Shaman pets worthwhile. Based off DaShiv's builds, it's clear that the best way to maximize DPS on pet builds is to focus on OA, Flat damage, and resist reduction. Occultist does this waaaaay better than Shaman. The only thing Shaman has going for it pet-wise is tankiness and retaliation, so I wanted to incorporate those strengths into the build.

- I wanted to have a reason to use Manifestation on the IEE tree for once. Don't ask me why, I guess I'm a masochist that likes to throw skill points away.

- In order to prove that the build was actually decent, and just because I'd never done it before, I wanted to conquer Hardcore mode for the first time with it. That means this character was played solo/self-found gear, making it approachable by anyone!

This build is a Lightning/Pet Hybrid that uses Wind Devils and Storm Totems (“put-and-forget” skills) for character DPS while sitting in the back, letting tanky minions take your hits and do your dirty work because you're the Avatar of Mogdrogen, an arrogant asshole who wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice a mortal to keep his/her boots clean. These minions are further buffed with elemental DoT damage (with some extra focus on lightning of course) from the IEE tree to provide some extra DPS.

Before attempting hardcore with any character, I would strongly recommend checking out the hardcore guide written by ForgottenKane here. It is extremely thorough and well-written, and will give you a good idea of what to expect. I strongly suggest that you follow that guide in tandem with this one while attempting your first run.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler!

Skills
Spoiler!

Devotions
Spoiler!

Last edited by Ryzel; 08-23-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Counsel

Gear (very long)
Spoiler!

Leveling Guide
Spoiler!

Here is the grimtools of my current character who's cleared Ultimate Log and Ultimate SoT, so that you have an idea of what kind of gear I made the run with to compare.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a89EN4

Thanks everyone for checking out the guide! I hope you all have a blast =) Please feel free to post/share your experiences or your experiments with the build!

Last edited by Ryzel; 08-23-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Emissary

Interesting, make me wanna try a pet build.
Btw how long to take down Avatar of Mogdrogen on HC Ultimate with this build?
Since this is HC, you surely have to be more defensive isn't it?

Thanks Ryzel for posting this

Edit: I think I was misunderstanding the title, please pardon me...

Last edited by TZ Tz; 08-13-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Counsel

Ah, yes sorry for the confusion. This build is all about turning YOU into the Avatar of Mogdrogen. I haven't tested killing him in HC Ultimate yet because I don't have the gear, but theoretically it may be possible by making your pets immune to lightning damage and having them tank him. I would assume it would take an extremely long time to kill him though.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 AM
Counsel

Updated the devotions and leveling guide section!
Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Counsel

Wanted to just update that my character was able to clear Ultimate SoC and Ultimate Valbury (including Flames of Valbury). Aldritch was almost able to outheal my DPS though, but he was able to be grinded down. I found a Sovereign Ruby of Domination after Aldritch, which gave a noticeable increase in my DPS.

Currently he's doing farming runs for more gear. Faced Moosilauke and was able to down him after a few minutes. Your pets will die frequently though, and you WILL die in one hit if you go close to him; just don't. Stay back, spam abilities, and heal when you get hit by the sky shards and you should be fine.

Tried Mad Queen and didn't have enough DPS. Haven't tried Sentinel yet either, and I won't try Edge of Reality until I'm more twinked out. I'm assuming that once I can craft a Primal Instinct the DPS will skyrocket with the extra pets though.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 AM
Initiate

hi, i'm new in grim dawn, and was searching for a druid with lightning/pet build
i found yours, i might use it so thanks in advance

Like i said i'm new to the game, and honestly i was lost until i saw your build lol
Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Counsel

Oh snap someone cares about this build! Lol

I'll have to update this for the new expansion I suppose. There's a LOT of new items that buff Flat Elemental Pet damage and Wind Devil + Elemental Storm is now a definite must-have. Druids don't suck anymore =)

But yeah, have fun with it! Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzel View Post
Oh snap someone cares about this build! Lol

I'll have to update this for the new expansion I suppose. There's a LOT of new items that buff Flat Elemental Pet damage and Wind Devil + Elemental Storm is now a definite must-have. Druids don't suck anymore =)

But yeah, have fun with it! Let me know if you have any questions.
oh thanks, i was using arcanist trozan sky shard, gonna change it to wind devil
i just don´t understand why do u use one handed weapons insteado of two handed?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Initiate

+! to people interested in this build, gonna give it a go this afternoon and see how druidy it feels.

Tags
druid