Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

View Poll Results: What would you like to see in Grim Misadventure #9?
These heroes are chumps. Show me the real monsters! 46 39.32%
Loot is great, but aren't sets even better? Show me a set, bonuses and all! 71 60.68%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Grim Misadventures #8: Here there be Monsters

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures. This is Zantai with another community selected update. With a whopping 72.45% majority, hero monsters are making a valiant return to the spotlight.

The most difficult part of preparing this week’s post was actually getting to the right hero monsters. Nope…that is the Human aisle. Blast, I knew I should have turned left at the Flesh Hulk section. Our monster farm is getting big! When you last heard of hero monsters, we had roughly 66 of the beasties roaming the halls. We are now up to a whopping 115! That is a lot of monster. Each one is loaded to the brink with loot, like a deadly piñata that fights back.

Hero monsters have been roaming free in our spawn tables for a few weeks now, and the death toll is rising. You are going to have to earn that loot.

Let’s meet today’s contestants!

Disclaimer: the following names, models, textures, mechanics, concepts, disasters, piñatas, and sharp things are work in progress and may not reflect the final product.

Stare into the vast emptiness of Innugaru, Horror of the Void.

Remember those sweet void fiends Allminoxy showed off recently? We put them to work! Say hello to Innugaru, Horror of the Void, a fiend with a mean streak for draining your precious energy and using it against you. Abilities include draining energy, draining more energy, and killing things.

Energy Void: Creates a field of emptiness that hungrily devours energy from anyone standing in it. Additionally, deals periodic damage regardless of energy levels.

Nullify Energy: Unleashes a ring of void projectiles that burn energy and cause damage equal to a fraction of the destroyed mana.

Sap Energy: Innugaru passively leeches mana with each melee strike. In addition, Innugaru is immune to mana drain attacks.

Is this a caster’s worst nightmare? Innugaru likes to think so. Up next, we have Mesmer, the mesmerizing gazer. Mesmer had no friends, so he made his own. Science has shown that being friends with clones of yourself is not good for you, but what do those guys know anyway?

I will own you with science!

Mesmer is a lightning infused baddie with a habit of splitting into three copies.

Lightning Bolt: Stray too far, and Mesmer will stop you in your tracks by unleashing a bolt of lightning with a stun component.

Lightning Orb: Fires a massive slow-moving orb of lightning energy that passes through targets. Hint: don’t stand in a line with your friends.

Mirage: Mesmer creates two copies of himself and randomizes his position with them. These clones have the same lightning-based spells as Mesmer, but deal less damage and have considerably less health.

You might be wondering, if Mesmer splits into three copies, does that means three times the loot? (If you were not wondering this…too bad) The answer is, alas greedy adventurer, no. Only the permanent end of the real Mesmer will yield delicious loot.

Oh no! Looks like we have a rogue screenshot that has escaped! I wish there was some way to stop it from being posted here along with the rest.

Who is this guy? It is a water monster! Looks bossy…

And that’s all, folks! As before, please take a minute to select the next update in the poll. See you on 10/14/12!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Innugaru.jpg (345.6 KB, 6624 views)
File Type: jpg Mesmer.jpg (388.6 KB, 6476 views)
File Type: jpg Viloth.jpg (338.4 KB, 7477 views)

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 10-01-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added link for everybody's convenience
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Supporter

115!? Madness!

I can't wait to bust open these demonic flesh pinatas to receive the sweet reward of Lewt! Fantastic work here, Zantai, thanks for the update.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Supporter

Innugaru reminds me of the cthulhu looking champions at the end of Act 1 in Torchlight 2. Especially with the mana draining AOE spell. I hate, but love those guys so much. The goo that pops out of them when they die is fantastic. I hope to see some awesome stuff like that with these monsters.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Herald

Wow... amazing screenshots and monsters. *tear drop*
(j/k about the tear. lol.)
Grim Dawn is looking great though. From what I have seen so far, I can see myself playing this game casually for 5 years. (That's how long I played Diablo 2) - I'm not a gamer anymore. It's the best I can do.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
[...]Innugaru is immune to mana drain attacks.
You can drain enemies' mana in this game? At last! Mwuahahaha! Ahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Now what do have to say for yourselves you fiends!

And also: Delicious monsters. Delicious. Mm-mm!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Campaigner

Zantai, you know a short video would be even more enlightening.

I like the sword in his left hand.

... wait is that awesome? ok, how about - its like you're drunk and a grizzly bear is punching you but... no wait... its like you're drunk, you punch a grizzly bear in the face but the bear is also drunk, so it just explodes into gibs."
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelionheart View Post
Innugaru reminds me of the cthulhu looking champions at the end of Act 1 in Torchlight 2. Especially with the mana draining AOE spell. I hate, but love those guys so much. The goo that pops out of them when they die is fantastic. I hope to see some awesome stuff like that with these monsters.
Inorite, Innugaru does remind me of those cthulhu at the end of act 1 to some extent. lol

Either way, thanks Zantai, for showing us another Grim misadventures. I cannot wait for the next misadventures. Hopefully by then, if you are obligated, to tell us the progress of the development of the game, and hint out what month Grim Dawn Alpha MIGHT be expected to be launched? Each of these misadventures is like a teaser to me in a way.

Waiting for: nothing at the moment
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Campaigner

Mmm... those are some wonderful looking hero monsters!

Mesmer does have me wondering something though. Will a knockdown skill (e.g. shield charge) have different effects on the copies than the original? I suppose if the chance to knock a monster down is based on damage dealt vs. health (current or maximum), then the copies might react differently. If they do, it certainly would make finding the original easier.

Being able to ragdoll monsters while they're still alive has to be one of my favorite additions in Grim Dawn
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Champion

Good work, Zantai, it's looking great!! =)

Thorough GD info here: www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71628&postcount=1

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Speaker

Sweetness!

115 is a hefty amount of murderously massive malevolent monsters and it'll ensure that players will be running across new fights for a good long while.

I'ma take a guess and say that boss monster is located in the Abandoned Waterfront!

Tags
grim misadventure, monsters, screenshots