Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Notices

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Grim Misadventures #3: 5% chance of awesome on hit

Patrons, readers, enthusiasts, this is Zantai and I bring news from beyond the veil of development. For those of you eager for another collection of screenshots, Iím afraid this is not your update.

While I had continued some environment work over the past two weeks, my primary focus was on dissecting and absorbing all that there is to know about the skill system for Grim Dawn. Skills in Grim Dawn had been structured upon a large set of use cases, which we then manipulate to create the player-hating hero and boss monsters. While the system gives us a lot of flexibility, it is not immediately intuitive. Given that I am already insane, this had little impact on my wellbeing and health.

I learned by doing, and we now have dozens of barebones skills with clear descriptors and use cases. This also translates to some documentation I will be compiling, with the benefits passed off to the modding community when our tools are released to the public.

This process naturally progressed to the creation of item affixes. Do you like cool items? We like cool items. We should probably have cool items! Iíve taken my skill-creating skills to craft some really out there stuff for our item pool. Itís too early to reveal it all, but Iím excited to wield them against the forces of ďpeople who dislike my characterĒ. Hint: itís not only Legendaries that get a special treatment.

Having tackled environments, skills, and item affixes, not much remains before I am fully ramped up on all that entails Grim Dawnís development. I am a jack-of-all trades after all. Soon, all that will remain is to tackle Medierra. I imagine it will go something like this:

Iím the one with the blue lightsaber
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2...berfightp1.gif

Many cool things are brewing, but they will have to wait for another day! Check back on 08/05/12 for another glimpse into the Grim Dawn!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Minister of Information

I'm wondering how much direct relation there is between skills and affixes. My immediate thought has been 'affixes with +skill bonuses' - mostly for single skills, if this is for early (not legendary) items. On a second thought I can image other affixes which increase damage, range, AOE, skill-activation-chance or lower recharge time, energy costs or improve (de-)buffs ... ah, maybe too powerful, if they work globally. On a third thought I remembered Affix Skillz. medierra mentioned you might find items with affix skills starting from level 18 - what will be the minimum quality of such items?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
This process naturally progressed to the creation of item affixes. Do you like cool items? We like cool items. We should probably have cool items! Iíve taken my skill-creating skills to craft some really out there stuff for our item pool. Itís too early to reveal it all, but Iím excited to wield them against the forces of ďpeople who dislike my characterĒ. Hint: itís not only Legendaries that get a special treatment.
Can we be friends?

Oh yea, thanks for the info!!

DCUO & Skyrim
Waiting For
GW2(maybe), ESO, SO:TL DLC, Halo 4 and of course GD
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Campaigner

will eagerly wait for the upcoming update. from the title i expected a glimpse like a 5% chance of 200% damage, 10% ADCtH ! well, its great to be informed of the progress and development.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Initiate

Cool
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
I learned by doing, and we now have dozens of barebones skills with clear descriptors and use cases. This also translates to some documentation I will be compiling, with the benefits passed off to the modding community when our tools are released to the public.
Massive brofist! That's really all I can say.

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Campaigner

I'm still waiting to see a piar of Partialy Digested Greaves of Gastric Acid after harvesting them from the bowels of a monster unfortunate enough to cross my path.

That said i'm eager to see what 'specialness' treatment the non-legendaries will recieve.

And when you and Medierra do your lightsaber posturing, remember not to look directly into the lightsaber. It's like staring into the sun and can make you go blind.

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Praetorian

another interesting update, keep them coming

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Champion

Thanks for update, Zantai!

Thorough GD info here: www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71628&postcount=1

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I'm wondering how much direct relation there is between skills and affixes. My immediate thought has been 'affixes with +skill bonuses' - mostly for single skills, if this is for early (not legendary) items. On a second thought I can image other affixes which increase damage, range, AOE, skill-activation-chance or lower recharge time, energy costs or improve (de-)buffs ... ah, maybe too powerful, if they work globally. On a third thought I remembered Affix Skillz. medierra mentioned you might find items with affix skills starting from level 18 - what will be the minimum quality of such items?
I can't elaborate on what level you will start seeing affix skills, but you are fairly close on why skills an affixes are related. The stat data tables used for both are virtually the same, so while learning one I essentially learned the other. (ex. a self-cast buff that increases Cunning uses the same data field as would an item with +Cunning).

Tags
affixes, grim misadventure, items, modding, skills