Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Initiate

Default Feature Request: Controlller support & same screen local co-op

I'm sure this will probably be a bit tough to implement this late in development if it's not been done already.

But there aren't a lot of serious games one can play socially in the same room. E.g. a couples adventure.

Take my scenario - Leather couch, projector, beautiful girl. Lara Croft - Guardian of the light was a great adventure we could share together. Grim Dawn although vastly different gameplay would be just as fun.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Supporter

Even if it would be pretty cool, there are some problems with your suggestions.

I imagine controller support is abandoned by the team just by thinking of all the work that has to go into both UI and gameplay. It's another one of those things that potentially could be worked in post launch.

Your suggestion about "same screen" is kind of ambiguous and could mean two things, split-screen or non split-screen.

Playing without split-screen has the problem of movement restriction depending on what the camera sees. One "solution" would be for the camera to zoom out if a player walks out of sight, but that would probably introduce tons of problems with an engine not optimized for doing that. Another problem is the UI. Two inventories, two character panels, two shops, etc.

Playing split-screen has it's own problems. For instance, think about browsing a shop while having your character panel/inventory open. It takes up a lot of space on screen. Now do it with half the amount of pixels in width or height.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Initiate

I would personally love gamepad support. I just prefer to play ARPGs on a gamepad. I even created my own little Autohotkey script + Xpadder profile combo to play TQ with a gamepad. It's not perfect, but it plays decently well.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Campaigner

Real gamers, play only with mouse and keyboard .
But generally, you would not be able to aim good with controler with this type of game.
and that he is within a sword-thrust of destruction.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Herald

I prefer gamepad for certain games even though I play terribly with it. With a gamepad I can sit back in my lazychair and kick my feet up, and it's a more logical way to play local coop. The fact that my accuracy goes down any measurable amount doesn't matter at all. I'm not exactly trying to prove anything.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Herald

If implemented, the game should have an option to turn off gamepad support. This should bypass most logic including setup -- the query/acquire for devices....
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Campaigner

There will be no control support. They need to change a lot of gameplay for it to work good (and I think there are a much better things to do). Maybe there will after releasing the game. And i think it's better not to have controller support at all, then to have a crappy support.
and that he is within a sword-thrust of destruction.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
...And i think it's better not to have controller support at all, then to have a crappy support.
I agree. I think we've all seen our share of crappy attempts at controller/gamepad support as well as terrible ports from consoles to the PC. If the conversion isn't done properly then it can just become a horrid inconvenience.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Real gamers, play only with mouse and keyboard .
But generally, you would not be able to aim good with controler with this type of game.
Enough said.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Herald

What about the fake gamers who prefer using a gamepad?

Tags
controller enabled, local co-op, multiplayer, same-screen