Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Notices

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Lootz - sneak peak at merchant and inventory

Ask and thou shalt receive, sometimes, ask too often and thou shalt be beaten!

So finally, I will, with great reluctance, show you some lootz and a bit of the UI. You will immediately notice that aside from the most horrendous designer-art buttons being blurred out (because really, they were too silly to show), there is also a bunch of other not so hot stuff going on, like other horrendous designer-art weapon swap buttons being misaligned. However, keep in mind, we're in the middle of development.

Let us focus on the important thing, the lootz. You'll see we're making some progress and have a decent assortment of stuff in-game now. The diversity of loot on the merchant is a bit lower than it usually is just because this character is leveled up to where the common loot currently starts to end. Why does the merchant not sell pants? A good question... I myself have often wondered that but no answer is forthcoming.

I think this counts for at least 2, maybe 3 updates! I could have strung it out but no, I've dished it all out at once! BAM - inventory, lootz, merchant, HUD, new caster armorz!!! Yes, surely this counts as more then one update!

Oh, also, I should mention that I'm not sure I like the skillbar layout. I've been wanting to change it but haven't found the time. I think it would be best to move all the hotslot buttons together in the center and the R / L buttons to the left.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Advocate

update of the month.

Nice. TQ legacy UI.

keep up the great work!

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Herald

Awesome! Thanks for the 3… 4… updates!

I know there are a lot of issues with this… and that’s understandable.

The one thing I can say already, the swords that take up 4 vertical slots, eh, I’m a pretty big believer in standardization, and I think that the inventory system would ‘stream’ better if all of those swords… axes and what not were simply 3 vertical slots. The axes with 2 horizontal slots and 3 vertical, could be reduced to 3 vertical.

If you have any daggers, it’s more understandable if they are 2 vertical slots also.

The way I see it is that those axes, swords, and what not are all one-handed weapons. It would be better for the player as a standard size in the inventory. Also, you could let daggers break that mold, but you don’t have to either, it’s certainly an aesthetic choice, but I also believe there’s a game play experience there, and inventory space of course.

Edit: I really like the styling of the windows!

Ahem, compliment, gotta get used to it. .

Last edited by Scryer; 05-13-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Herald

It is nice to see the game taking shape.

Strangely, it is the depictions of the resistances that seem a bit out of place.

I also noticed the body/armor/weapon slots are a bit too pronounced. The slots are a ui substitute for the players body. Over-emphasising or calling attention to the substitution makes it a bit more alien. It looks like a machine. It looks like you would be pulling items out of a cavity and then dropping new items in.

The inventory is fine -- maybe because it is impersonal.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

This is looking good. It's definitely giving me post-apocalyptic vibes

The info page looks a bit off though. Not the page itself (I like the background), but the content. Obviously, the text is aligned to far to the left, causing it to overlap the border.
"Amount of Damage Blocked" should probably be reduced to "Damage Blocked", as it's quite long.

The resistance part seems to be off with the rest of the page. That part isn't seperated from the rest by a line. The textfield "Resistances" is not equally aligned with the rest of the page (plus it seems to have a shorter line spacing).
The resistance icons don't seem to fit to well with the style.

And finally, the fonts used don't seem right. Might be personal, but I'd prefer to see different fonts.

Anyway, I always have something to complain, despite that, I'm quite impressed. It seems to breathe the right atmosphere.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Counsel

Wooo!

Out of curiosity with regards to development, how far along would you guys be before deciding to lock down the UI elements? Would it be before, or during the alpha? I'm presuming it would be locked in for the beta.

If I can offer one small tidbit of criticism, it is the fact that there is a lot of grey. Sure, sure, I know Grim Dawn is meant to be grim, and what better way than to use grey. It does beat using copious amounts of brown. But is there any chance of adding a small splash of other colour within the main windows? Or will it be met with a copout of indicating that the colour of the windows is a "steel blue...?" Or would colour simply clash too much with the style?

Time for the compliments. Firstly, the skill icons down the bottom are excellent. Immediately clear and well detailed. The artist deserves a beer or two for that, even if they aren't "polished" yet.

As for the second compliment, well, it is obvious that Crate is staffed by some of the most talented guys in the computer gaming industry and it is certainly great to see you guys didn't slip into the fold of EA-acti-ubi game development where said talents would undoubtedly go unrecognised and left to waste away Personally, I appreciate the hard work that has gone into this game.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
This is looking good. It's definitely giving me post-apocalyptic vibes

The info page looks a bit off though. Not the page itself (I like the background), but the content. Obviously, the text is aligned to far to the left, causing it to overlap the border.
"Amount of Damage Blocked" should probably be reduced to "Damage Blocked", as it's quite long.

The resistance part seems to be off with the rest of the page. That part isn't seperated from the rest by a line. The textfield "Resistances" is not equally aligned with the rest of the page (plus it seems to have a shorter line spacing).
The resistance icons don't seem to fit to well with the style.

And finally, the fonts used don't seem right. Might be personal, but I'd prefer to see different fonts.

Anyway, I always have something to complain, despite that, I'm quite impressed. It seems to breathe the right atmosphere.
I think Yerky is totally right this time. The fonts seem to be boring. An unique post-apocalyptic visual true-type font would be good. And bigger, advanced design style resistance iconz would be also great.

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Minister of Information

your developer sandwich:
  • Compliment: Nice!
  • Scathing criticism: You washed the gloves too hot ... they shrank up.
  • Compliment: I like it.
  • Inevitable question: What's the stuff in the leftmost column in the inventory? The topmost seems to be a completed 'charm' (how do you call them in GD?), like to one put on the equipped shield.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Initiate

Very nice, I like the art direction. And check out the GUNZ!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I especially like the pilgrim hat; going Solomon Kane on their asses!

The guns look good as well, especially the multi-barrel one.

Tags
inventory, user interface