Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
but because they are both trying to destroy the human race!
Aren't humans trying to do exactly the same thing, since the very dawn of time?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooby View Post
Aren't humans trying to do exactly the same thing, since the very dawn of time?
What difference does that make? This is a fantasy story about humanity trying to survive against two waring other-worldly powers.

The fact is they aren't the 'bad guys' because they are different as you state...but because the otherworldly entities have brought mankind to the edge of extinction.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #33  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Wow, this might win the award of the most mind-blowing thread ever.

mind = blown.

I'm really not sure how two inhuman, merciless, supernatural forces possessing far greater power than the crushed remnants of humanity equate to lesser races of illegal immigrants being persecuted over cultural differences.

If anything, Aetherials possessing human bodies to use them as tools seems to parallel enslavement, not scamming off the welfare system.

Really though, this isn't about race, it is about survival pure and simple against powerful and implacable forces. It is eat or be eaten. I think this is what a lot of fantasy hearkens back to - a time when humans were fully engaged in the struggle to survive. We live in a world now where most of us are very removed from a direct struggle for survival with the natural world, yet, I think those impulses are ingrained in us and explain why survival themes resonate so well with people. The loss of this struggle, or at least the abstraction of it, may make life more comfortable but it also deprives people of purpose. Games help to fill this void.

I think the inspiration for orcs and other such "tribal" fantasy races comes not from some sort of latent racism but rather from this fear people living in early civilizations had of "barbarian invaders". Given that Tolkien drew heavily from dark and middle age history / folklore, the closest parallel I see is the viking invaders that many cultures lived in perpetual fear of during those periods. Is this the parallel you're referring to? Could it be the Assyrians or "Sea Peoples" that invaded and occasionally plundered Egypt? Maybe you mean the various Gothic hordes that sacked Rome? Could it be the Mongol horde that plundered or coerced tribute from cities and civilizations stretching from China to the Middle East, and into Europe?

For most of human history, groups of humans have lived in terror of bandits, pillaging hordes, and invading armies. I mean, if you're talking about fantasy races, look at Tolkien's homeland - much of the history of the British Isles is shaped by invasions from one group or another.

There are two reasons the primary enemies aren't humans and neither has anything to do with racism.

The first is that some of our largest expected markets are in countries that are sensitive to human on human violence. It is already somewhat of a risk that we even have human enemies in the game but making the primary enemies human would greatly increase the risk of the game receiving a restrictive rating or being outright banned. It is already likely that we will have to remove blood or make human blood green for some countries.

The other reason is that many people simply do not want to kill humans. I personally am not a huge fan of ambiguous violence in games. I want to feel like my enemy poses a direct and unavoidable threat to me or other innocent people so that I can feel justified in exploding them into a shower of gore.

Here is a hypothetical question: There is a zombie outbreak. Zombies, this scenario, are undead humans who want nothing other than to eat the brains of the living.

Do you:

A) bust out a shotgun

or

B) set up a sensitivity training program?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Here is a hypothetical question: There is a zombie outbreak. Zombies, this scenario, are undead humans who want nothing other than to eat the brains of the living.

Do you:

A) bust out a shotgun

or

B) set up a sensitivity training program?
I'm guessing you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Campaigner

Pfft. Who needs a shotgun when you have a sword? Itís much more satisfying to cleave open undead skulls then blowing them off their shoulders.... unless you like splatter art. :P

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
Maybe I missed this mentioned about Grim Dawn before...but are Chthonians followers of Cthulhu?
No, they're followers of Chthon.

I guess the more general question is whether they are inspired by Lovecraft.

The answer is no, although Lovecraft may have derived his name Chthulu from the same place I did - the ancient Greeks.

Chthonios is a term meaning beneath the earth and usually pertaining to spirits of deities of the underworld.

I came across while reading Greek mythology and remembered the term when I was trying to come up with names for Grim Dawn. It seemed very fitting since the Chthonians come from the void between worlds where the broken remains of the elder god Chthon were cast after the other gods used his blood-essence to give life to their creations.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #37  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWolf View Post
Pfft. Who needs a shotgun when you have a sword? Itís much more satisfying to cleave open undead skulls then blowing them off their shoulders.... unless you like splatter art. :P
Obviously you haven't gone through the sensitivity training program
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Obviously you haven't gone through the sensitivity training program
I'm plenty sensitive. I make sure that I kill then in 2-5 hits and only lop off the extremities such as arms and legs; you don't see me carving pieces out of them or setting their rotting corpses on fire either. No point in making it last longer than necessary.

*sigh* I don't like to see them suffer so.

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm.. Chtonian. I think we wanted to call one of the TQ classes after that in the balance patch, which was never produced.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Counsel

If there was a zombie outbreak, then I'd take option "C" dress up and act like a zombie when near zombies. Adapt to the surroundings you know.

Also, how do you pronounce Chtonian. Is the t silent?
Closed Thread

Tags
enemies, lore, story