Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

View Poll Results: Commit to a full tree or swap between single skillz?
I like the idea of choosing one tree vs. another and having more possible builds 161 73.18%
I think it would be more interesting to invest in two single skills and switch off during battle 29 13.18%
either one sounds cool to me! 30 13.64%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Lord Advocate

Myeah, I'd go with full tree skills than. No small passive boni, so in case you do want to use them both you still get a slight benefit when using the other?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Advocate

Have to agree with the majority here.

I like talent trees/mastery trees/skill trees.. whatever you wish to call them.

The fact you can choose to go full defensive, full offensive or hybrid is one of the best parts of creating your character. I've never been a situational player myself. I like to make a general build that is good against say, 80% of the game, and for those 20% situational times, I deal with them as they come. If it means respeccing to get through that part, I will.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
Have to agree with the majority here.

I like talent trees/mastery trees/skill trees.. whatever you wish to call them.

The fact you can choose to go full defensive, full offensive or hybrid is one of the best parts of creating your character. I've never been a situational player myself. I like to make a general build that is good against say, 80% of the game, and for those 20% situational times, I deal with them as they come. If it means respeccing to get through that part, I will.
Completely agree with Sile.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Thanks for the help guys!

I was really wanting to go in that direction but needed a little affirmation of the idea before I could proceed forward with full confidence.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sile View Post
Same for me.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Champion

bah again I am late. Vote for 1, I really like it.

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Praetorian

I love option one. Like in TQ Rogue build, there are poison enchancement, throwing knife, trap, bomb and calculated strike (excluding lethal strike). Since you won't have enough point to spend on the whole trees, you got to choose. And if all the build trees are exciting/interesting enough (since i don't like trap and bomb), this will have more possible rogue build.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Initiate

For me the first option is the best because I like to create specialized character who isn't great in everything, and don't pretend to be a superhero who destroys the whole hord of bad guys only by one sight. In addition that choice gives a player a chance to run game again just to test the other skill tree and see which more comfortable for his type of gaming.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Question is, how involved should they be? I'm currently on the fence as to whether they should be full skill-trees each with 2 modifiers or just single skills.

Option 1 (full skill trees) is cool because I think it would generally cause players to want to follow one path or the other due to the skill-point investment it would require to fully spec in either tree, thus promoting more possibilities for different soldier builds.
If I may I'd like to make an entirely different suggestion:

Just for clarification: I'm going to differentiate "base skills" and "enhancement skills" - where the base skill would be the one, first skill (active) on the bottom of any path - and "enhancement skills" would be the other dependent skills (passive) along the path, that improve said base skill.

Make some of those enhancement skills exclude each other.

For example:

Base skill = "fire-bolt". That sits at the bottom.

One line above it, are two other skills connected to fire-bolt. One of that is "multi-bolt" (allows you to shoot 2,3,4,5 fire-bolts at once in a spread), the other one is "mega-bolt" (which increases the area of effect radius of the firebolt.)

You can have only one of those two - you have to make your choice.

On the next line above that, there's another two skills again. Both can be chosen, independent of whether you chose "multi" or "mega" on the level below.

That would be "quick-bolt" and "scorch-bolt" and they would exclude each other again. One would increase casting speed and reduce cooldown of the base skill, the other would increase the damage.

So you could individualize any single skill you use.

PS: sorry for the stupid skill names
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Acolyte

It depends how much distinction you are going to make between tanking and dps. TQ blurred that distinction too much so that dps was really only the viable option.

If you see a tank actually having a place as threat holder and meat shield then having individual skill trees is the way to go. People will then feel it is worth while investing the skills in that tree.

BUT, you need to give the "tank" warrior the right skills to let them do the job...i.e. some sort of AoE agro grabber, and some means of holding that agro. Otherwise, you'll just get a fed up warrior tank doing crap all damage cos all his skills are in damage reduction and agro holding. DPS will be dragging the agro all the time and in pretty short order the warrior tank will be a redundant build. Warrior tanks will revert to a dps build as the only way is kill the mobs quicker than they can kill the party a-la-TitanQuest.

I'm not saying you need anything like an MMO style of compartmentalisation but you need something better than TQ.

As a side note, I presume you are building in some sort of "player threat" factor into the game. It'd be a bit broke without it obviously. How complicated is it likely to be? Will healing generate threat? Will you have threat reduction skills?

Last edited by DaftMule; 11-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Tags
combat, masteries, skill trees