Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 03-28-2016, 03:59 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptoe View Post
I love this! I'm going to try it

I'm guessing I'll need to start off with the Shaman Mastery first, as it has the only offensive skill (Savagery) and I'll need that to kill things in the beginning.

Then I just need to start collecting gear with Retaliation on it.
Regular attacks hold great until 40 (and maybe after) but at 40 I had parts of the perdition set (lvl 40 requirement) and just 2 of them will offer impressive acid retaliation damage, if you have the entire set or most of it then you will see guys fly up in the air from the amount of damage they take from hitting you.

Have fun!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Supporter

Aha! I'm glad I checked back. I've just started my new character and I was going to choose the Shaman Mastery first, but now I see I should select Soldier.

Just a quick question, what should I spend my attribute points on? Should I pump all points into Physique?
Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Aha! I'm glad I checked back. I've just started my new character and I was going to choose the Shaman Mastery first, but now I see I should select Soldier.

Just a quick question, what should I spend my attribute points on? Should I pump all points into Physique?
If you're going to do a build like mine then yep all physique except about 10-15 points though, I put those into spirit. The mastery bar gives you decent cunning but it's lacking on spirit so I put 15 points into spirit which opened up a large group of items I couldn't previously equip such as the amulet I'm wearing. I abandoned weapon damage altgether. If you want to do some active damage (a hybrid that's not full retaliation or reflect), then you may want to spread your points out further. However it lowers your HP and DA. I didn't show it in my stats but I pretty much don't get critical hits against this guy because of his high DA.

Last edited by Squib; 03-28-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Acolyte

I was thinking occultist as a secondary class would give the highest clear speed with Fevered rage. Or would that be too dangerous?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warran View Post
I was thinking occultist as a secondary class would give the highest clear speed with Fevered rage. Or would that be too dangerous?
If you have the gear to off-set the lower HP than it may be ok. Occ is one of the lowest HP classes (if not the lowest?) but honestly, with the soldier it may be a great combo as you'll still have the circuit breaker (menhir's will) in place. It just might trigger more.

I would recommend arcanist over occultist if you want a mage class. Some good reflect and damage absorption there and it still gives you skills to play with to help clearing.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squib View Post
Mogdrogen's pact which gives great HP and armor not to mention another 108% retaliation damage
I'm not seeing the retaliation damage on the tool tip in game or on the skill calc.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Supporter

Quote:
If you're going to do a build like mine then yep all physique except about 10-15 points though, I put those into spirit. The mastery bar gives you decent cunning but it's lacking on spirit so I put 15 points into spirit which opened up a large group of items I couldn't previously equip such as the amulet I'm wearing. I abandoned weapon damage altgether. If you want to do some active damage (a hybrid that's not full retaliation or reflect), then you may want to spread your points out further. However it lowers your HP and DA. I didn't show it in my stats but I pretty much don't get critical hits against this guy because of his high DA.
I'm incredibly lazy (that's why your build appeals to me ). So once my retaliation is high enough, I probably won't bother to attack things anymore either.

I do have another quick question though, what about components? Is there anything in particular I should use? Is there by chance a component with Retaliation damage?

Cheers Squib (I've just hit level 6 and haven't had to drink a potion yet ).
Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldernath View Post
I'm not seeing the retaliation damage on the tool tip in game or on the skill calc.
I noticed that too but it is. Here's the screen of mine:

Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 AM
Counsel

Quote:
I'm incredibly lazy (that's why your build appeals to me ). So once my retaliation is high enough, I probably won't bother to attack things anymore either.

I do have another quick question though, what about components? Is there anything in particular I should use? Is there by chance a component with Retaliation damage?

Cheers Squib (I've just hit level 6 and haven't had to drink a potion yet ).
LOL glad I'm not the only one who enjoys a lazy build.

There is some great retaliation components which I used until I reached ultimate, then I swapped some for those with resistances.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
If you have the gear to off-set the lower HP than it may be ok. Occ is one of the lowest HP classes (if not the lowest?) but honestly, with the soldier it may be a great combo as you'll still have the circuit breaker (menhir's will) in place. It just might trigger more.

I would recommend arcanist over occultist if you want a mage class. Some good reflect and damage absorption there and it still gives you skills to play with to help clearing.
I wasn't specifically going for a Mage. My thinking is that since our damage mostly comes from them hitting us, the +150% total speed and reduction to their DA might be really good. The concern for danger was in them also getting more OA and total damage..possibly enough to kill us? I don't have a high level character to test this out on. It's not an issue in lower levels if you out gear the content though.

Tags
hardcore, warder