Old 11-18-2017, 12:05 AM
Praetorian

Yeah, allowing 100% conversion builds like Aether Savagery is "closing down build possibilities". Sure. Procs will never be build enablers on the same level of item skill modifiers.

Every build is already pushed to use very specific items to function at their best and very few times you actually can switch a couple of items around. So, not really seeing the issue here.

Last edited by Norzan; 11-18-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema2741 View Post
To me it feels like just the opposite. Item skill modifiers close down build possibilities, because you have to use the skill the item is for, or miss out on getting any benefits. Procs are more general and work for any skill.
I guess allot of it could depend on your vision of your character build. Overall, most mythical items are damage/stats increases over non mythical, no matter what the stat bonus or proc is (rare occasions do exist where they just suck, but thats the exception, not the norm). There are quite a few builds i have that use mythical items for the stat boosts and damage, and totally ignore the skill conversions/bonuses. Half the time your not going to use all the skill bonuses either, so most gear is a tradeoff of one sort or another.

That being said, I do get your point. There are items where I wish it was X skill instead of Y skill, or items where I wished the conversion was fire instead of lightning, etc. I see the whole concept inspiring more gear development in the future. multiple vairations of the same item, as an example, with differnet skill conversions on it.

On the note of Andros Amplifier: that gun seems to be a very specific and pointed gun no matter what the special on it is. Fire and Cold? and those skill bonuses? your not going to use it on anything by a purifier really. And if you do, your wasting skill points already, so having a generic proc isn't necessarily going to improve the situation. and in a purifier build, you have other guns that are as effective and keep their proc. Deviltounge as an example. And Haggaradian Enforcer for the cold damage (and potent pierce). The more I think about it, the more I feel that those two would be a better solution if you want the cold damage, and procs. The only benefit the enforcer has is the +1 to Inq skill, and I guess you'd be taking it mostly for that.

Last edited by temjiu; 11-18-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
Yeah, allowing 100% conversion builds like Aether Savagery is "closing down build possibilities".
And it does in some ways, many times I had to drop a mythical item for its lower version because it was just fucking with my build or because of the lack of a proc.

Procs are mostly generic stuff that are just added value like any stat to an item while skill modifiers are super specific build enablers but shouldn't pigeonhole people toward that one specific build concept.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krag View Post
And it does in some ways, many times I had to drop a mythical item for its lower version because it was just fucking with my build or because of the lack of a proc.

Procs are mostly generic stuff that are just added value like any stat to an item while skill modifiers are super specific build enablers but shouldn't pigeonhole people toward that one specific build concept.
All the item skill modifiers affect the skills on the items directly, so i have no clue how item skill modifiers will affect your build if you don't even use those skills in the first place. The stats on those items cater specifically to those item skill modifiers.

Let's be honest here, the game already pidgeonholes builds into a lot specific items because the game wants you to use those items in those builds. Sets are the biggest culprit of this.

Last edited by Norzan; 11-18-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
All the item skill modifiers affect the skills on the items directly, so i have no clue how item skill modifiers will affect your build if you don't even use those skills in the first place. The stats on those items cater specifically to those item skill modifiers.

Let's be honest here, the game already pidgeonholes builds into a lot specific items because the game wants you to use those items in those builds. Sets are the biggest culprit of this.
Actually, I do sort of get what he's saying with that. as an example. i have a kymon's badge that converts grenado pierce damage to lightning. its a fire/lightning items, and has nice fire bonuses and skills, and great resists, but the lightning conversion is a loss if you don't have heavy lightning investment.

I actually have a heavier pierce bonus, so I lose a bit of damage with that conversion. I use it due to the need I have for the resists (it's packed with them, lucky roll), but its that kind of thing.

But while I do get some of the frustration with the disparities, I think the positive outweighs the negative as a whole, and the cases where it seriously conflicts with a build is an outlier.