Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Emissary

When Titan Quest had piercing I thought it was a good way of representing other kind of physical damage that cannot do much harm to statues etc. Vitality was also stylish. But with Grim Dawn it seems it came a little out of control. Must be hilarious to customise all those items and affixes when they suddenly need all that many resistances, because people still want to cap and overcap them, and won't use items without them much.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema2741 View Post
Rationalize =/= Simplified. Resistances aren't going to be condensed just to make life easier for you. Complexity does not mean the game is outdated. Time to suck it up and wrap your head around the complexity.
You're walking a very thin line here. There is an or to your last sentence. And that one...well, let's say it isn't terribly efficacious or attractive as well. I'll leave it to you to finish my "Or I can..." sentence.

Really, I like simple and effective. Complex is...too complex for me. I guess that was one of the biggest reasons why I never liked TQ.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwd View Post
You're walking a very thin line here. There is an or to your last sentence. And that one...well, let's say it isn't terribly efficacious or attractive as well. I'll leave it to you to finish my "Or I can..." sentence.

Really, I like simple and effective. Complex is...too complex for me. I guess that was one of the biggest reasons why I never liked TQ.
So.. what you want like 2 damage types? Magic and Nonmagic?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Something being complicated isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just something new for you to learn. But if you're looking for pure simplicity then alas these games just might not be for you, they're designed to have depth.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
...am I the only one who thinks there are too many of them? Not only have you got like 6-8 different resists, you've also got the resists for DoT components of at least 75% of these.
actually no, DoT is reduced by the same resistance type the flat damage is resisted by
Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
I meant all those Chaos / Aether resists(can be rolled into one and named Divine / Arcane resist), Pierce Resist, Bleed resist(these three could be rolled all in one physical resist, but at the very least pierce and armour should share the resist-rename it to Toughness), Vitality could get mixed with Bleed resist(both manipulate the life force-bleed damage could in fact become Vitality Decay or whatever's the name for Vitality DoT damage type) etc.

This is how you rationalize and make stuff efficacious. This system is an outdated mess!
and to compensate, we reduce the number of resistances and the percentage you get from items, great. Now everyone is happy

It is not outdated or a mess, for each damage type and its DoT you have a resistance, and then there are a few for different CC types that you mostly ignore... for these I can see some value in having a combined type
Old 03-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Praetorian

hum, as far as having too many resists, when i first started playing i would say yes, however, Imo it has gotten even easier to gain resistances within the last few updates.

My most recent toon i am leveling, has about %40 on the bottom row, and %60+ on the top, at level 38. When before it would be halved that. Also just about 7K health at that level is just absurd.

I could understand for ultimate gearing, but leveling has become trivial at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
please, excuse me... I need to go wipe away my tears with a handful of million dollar bills
Old 03-21-2017, 02:03 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnge View Post
hum, as far as having too many resists, when i first started playing i would say yes, however, Imo it has gotten even easier to gain resistances within the last few updates.

My most recent toon i am leveling, has about %40 on the bottom row, and %60+ on the top, at level 38. When before it would be halved that. Also just about 7K health at that level is just absurd.

I could understand for ultimate gearing, but leveling has become trivial at this point.
Ah, they changed how gearing works? Or at the very least the numbers, yes? Because I haven't played in like half a year and the gear for leveling used to be abysmal back then. Well, not exactly abysmal but mediocre, really mediocre and boring.

And for my references I played every aRPG out there except Fate and Nox(and Dungeon Siege 3-idk if that counts). So I think I know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 AM
Praetorian

Yeah somewhere along the lines they made gearing while leveling a lot easier (or better for some). It may be some damn good RNG but i come across a ton of items with like %20+ to 2 or so resistances. Also finding a lot of items with high flat HP.

So yeah if you have not played in half a year or so, then you may find it much easier to build up resists and health. Try it out and see what RNG has in store for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
please, excuse me... I need to go wipe away my tears with a handful of million dollar bills
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 AM
Praetorian

They added a bunch of resists to a lot of epic and legendary items, specially Aether resist (i always struggle to cap this one in non Aether builds). So capping resists isn't exactly difficult now.