Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to play while rotating the camera? What about having the map rotate as well?
Rotate camera view; use map rotation. 15 20.83%
Rotate camera view; use "Lock Map Rotation" so map is fixed with north always up. 13 18.06%
Do not use camera rotation; use map rotation. 8 11.11%
Do not use camera rotation; use "Lock Map Rotation" so map is fixed with north always up. 36 50.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Initiate

Question Do you prefer to play while rotating the camera? What about having the map rotate as well?

Do you rotate the camera while playing, adjusting your view as you move along? Or do you keep the camera in a fixed position (e.g. Diablo)?

Secondly, in the "Options > General" section, do you have "Lock Map Rotation" checked (so that North is always pointing up on the mini-map & map and does not rotate)? Or do you have "Lock Map Rotation" unchecked (so that the mini-map & map rotates with your camera rotation, and north constantly changes depending on your orientation)?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Champion

I change my camera view, but not in combat, but between combat. I have the map rotate to match the direction my character is facing, rather than due north. It is far too confusing trying to figure out what North is in relation to my camera angle.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Praetorian

Constantly rotating camera, especially during combat, usually in flicks.

Map rotation is locked.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Initiate

I started out playing a long time ago, with both the camera and map fixed (no rotation), but over time I've come to really appreciate the ability to see from different angles!

Especially with Ashes of Malmouth, I have noticed some much more hidden (or at least difficult to see immediately) secret areas or stashes that I may have missed if not rotating the camera.

Thanks to Crate for adding this option - I didn't initially like it at all... but now I love it!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
I change my camera view, but not in combat, but between combat. I have the map rotate to match the direction my character is facing
Snap...no option really to select from the poll
Old 03-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Initiate

Hmm, should have I added an option for:
  • in-combat
  • out of combat
?

It might get too convoluted. I was just curious to see how many people were using camera rotation in Grim Dawn. I seem to be the only one that does, of my friends that play.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace97 View Post
It might get too convoluted.
Most probably yes

I don't move my camera much, I tweak it occasionally
Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Herald

I personally hate to rotate my camera or map. I simply lose myself and I don't know where I am nor where to go. I feel like I play a completely different location that I've never been in before, therefore it kind of makes me more hyped to play, but on the other hand I know the game so good that, after I go into a fight, I remind myself of the game I currently play and that makes me want to either quit the game for today or put the camera back to normal. The last time I was hyped to play GD, I chose to play with rotating camera only, closed the game after 5 mins and didn't play it for about 3 days even though I had plenty of time to play it at the time.

When the gameplay is the same, but character changes and the map does too, it doesn't make the game better for me, if I know the game, but I don't know the character, the game is better because I know where to go and how to get somewhere and I just try to figure out how to play my character, if I don't know the map and my character, I spend too much time on figuring out where to go in a game I already know and thus I am getting bored quickly. I mostly learn my characters before level 30, therefore till Broken Hills (sometimes earlier) and because of that I can chill more and play the game I like. I only get bored of playing because the game is like a straight line, this means it's "boring" to play for hours a day due to its monotony (kill monsters to get further with the game, update your character). I don't say that's bad, that's good because it's an ARPG and some people love that, I am just a person that likes different situations in games in general, not only character and map or one of those. In case I am hard to understand, let's take a standard RPG, you have always the same stuff, literally always - the same quests, items, roads, classes, but you can do it differently all the time, you can start with killing monsters first before going to a town, you can pick another roads than those that are intended because you want to explore more and get some more exp, you can speedrun them to fight very strong enemies at very low level, you can do one quest in few ways. For some people that would be exactly what GD provides, but it's actually not, because we have combat differences in RPGs and ARPGs, where we can lose even to a weak enemy (if the RPG is well balanced, where you don't oneshot everything because you just got the best weapon in the game and your character is level 387589), while in ARPGs you simply can't die to a weak enemy (read: normal monster, yellow monster) because they are like roaches to humans, you just squeeze them with your fingers.

I kind of got off the topic a bit, but I think I also covered up my point. If not, you can always ask; also feel free to disagree/agree with me.

I don't play Crucible.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Champion

I don't play with camera/map rotation, even out of combat, I prefer to leave the view "default".
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Camera locked, map position north for me. I can't get on with rotating the camera, it makes my stomach feel queasy. I don't even like to watch other people playing with camera rotation on Twitch or YouTube.

Tags
rotate camera map option