Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsar View Post
Yes, about this. What you, guys, think about Necro wps??
Well you get damage type w/out real resistance mitigations from MOST o the mobs 'till ACT 3 AND ADCTH around Act 1 AND Spectral Wrath...
Imo equal or better than Execution.
For leveling POV WIN-WIN.
Don't know about endgame, though, my DW NB/Necro just got lvl 20.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by korsar View Post
At my experience they always are dps burst. So noone found animation speed issues??
animation is no longer the issue. WD is just low % WP dmg, AS for AoE, meh it has such low radius. Tumult in TQ was way more versatile.

Last edited by Superfluff; 04-26-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
animation is no longer the issue. WD is just low % WP dmg
Would it be worth it if dual wielding slicers and I can get it to 9/8 for 1 point?
As i understand it would be 2 X 78% = 156% WP dmg.
that should be comparable to normal dual wield average of 150% WP dmg right?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivaN View Post
Would it be worth it if dual wielding slicers and I can get it to 9/8 for 1 point?
As i understand it would be 2 X 78% = 156% WP dmg.
that should be comparable to normal dual wield average of 150% WP dmg right?
The way it feels to me is that WD is in the way of my execution in a short 8-10 sec fight.

If you apply the "Law of large numbers" all wps will proc the same amounts of time, but in a short ~10 sec fight it doesn't feel that way to me, especially since I play BM and I have MA too. 2x Belg Slicers so Shears ahve 183% x2 wp dmg is more than enough AoE and does well in single target too. Compare this with WD. Even without Belg shears mods, shears is a better WPS than WD

Also shears seems to have more reach than WD. With DW you need to be smack down in the middle of a pack to have good effect.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
The way it feels to me is that WD is in the way of my execution in a short 8-10 sec fight.

If you apply the "Law of large numbers" all wps will proc the same amounts of time, but in a short ~10 sec fight it doesn't feel that way to me, especially since I play BM and I have MA too. 2x Belg Slicers so Shears ahve 183% x2 wp dmg is more than enough AoE and does well in single target too. Compare this with WD. Even without Belg shears mods, shears is a better WPS than WD

Also shears seems to have more reach than WD. With DW you need to be smack down in the middle of a pack to have good effect.
I hear what you're saying, makes a lot of sense even though im sad for WD. my second toon was a BM and he really wanted to go all in on all the WPS.

So at this point does WD have any uses? Maybe another mastery combination other than BM? I guess if some build really needed to proc a devotion it could be useful there.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivaN View Post

So at this point does WD have any uses?
End game..Bleed I guess. Esp with bloodsong

AcQ needs more mods and DW needs more %dmg and reach, that might fix WD, or mods again, those seem to be an elegant fix end game
Old 04-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Champion

I was under the impression the only time Whirling Death would be worth taking was for a source of Bleed/Poison in-between DoT nukes (such as Ring of Steel/Shadow Strike).

Then I looked over it's DoT potential and it's pretty bad for that too - 66 Bleed/s at 8/8, 171 at 18/8 and 35 Poison/s at 8/8 NHH and 107 at 18/8.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
Amarasta is good at 18/8. Okaysh at 8/8 and dps loss at 5/8 or anything below.
Whirling death is DPS loss at any level and not worth it.
Compared to Necro WPS Belgothian, Amarasta and Wd seems underwhelming =(
Oh no, so I do need AQC at 8/8 otherwise it's not worth it? Did you test it or did you calculate it somehow, knowing its animation times?

And Necro WPS are pretty damn strong. I would say just below god tier melee WPS (which are Execution and Feral Hunger)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:17 AM
Speaker

This and several other recent(ish) threads make me think that the topic of WPS skills and their interactions, particularly with Cadence and dual-wielding, would be a valuable addition to the Guides forum. I'm not qualified to write it myself, obviously. The Advanced Mechanics guide does talk about WPS, but includes some information that is no longer correct.

In case someone does take up the project, I found mad_lee's thread about Upheaval to be very informative as well. I had no idea Upheaval was a schmuck bait skill until I read that! Just as I didn't know WD was schmuck bait until this thread... Makes me wonder what else seems decent but isn't, that I still don't know about.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:24 AM
Advocate

I think personally it's mostly "endgame" builds, that needs to start think things like these.
One can happily level with WD and AQC w/out feeling the dps loss due to nice AoE one gets instead.