Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I find all of this really really funny. I can't explain why without turning this overtly political, though, but suffice it to say that NN hasn't stopped my ISP from having an effective monopoly on cable internet where I live, it hasn't stopped them from screwing me as hard as they possibly can on my bill, it hasn't stopped Google, Facebook and others from gobbling up as much of the Internet as possible and forcing it through their filters, and I have more confidence in the FTC than I do the FCC.
probably because none of these have anything to do with net neutrality... as to whether confidence is FTC or FCC is justified, certainly not under the current administration
Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
as to whether confidence is FTC or FCC is justified, certainly not under the current administration
If your confidence in a government agency depends on who is running the executive branch, that agency has too much power, not enough oversight, or both.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
Giving tax cuts for people that do not even actually claim their real earnings and wealth when "paying" taxes
I also hope not to turn this overly political, but I've always found this issue to be such a confounding one. If taxes are lowered on the rich, it's a tax cut for these already-wealthy people who arguably don't need any more money (if they don't inject it back into the economy through investments and such). That said, most people are aware that offshoring and other tactics are commonly employed in the circles of the wealthy elite... hence raising taxes on the rich can hardly be considered ideal either, as why would they NOT offshore when you tell them to pay more. Such paradoxes are the world we live in, I suppose; there never will be a solution that will work for and please everyone unfortunately.

Oh I'm sorry, was this thread meant to be about net neutrality? *Scurries off back to Australia*
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now
Old 12-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post

Oh I'm sorry, was this thread meant to be about net neutrality? *Scurries off back to Australia*
If Congress passes the bill then other countries will soon follow U.S.A

Although I could be wrong but the worst case scenario i.e ISP abusing their power won't affect countries that have plenty of ISPs right? Comcast, AT&T and Verizon are the dominant ones in the U.S which is why this might be a problem for people living there since your options are limited

Well best case scenario Internet goes back to pre-NN era (2015 was it?) and everyone continues to live happily

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Last edited by Chthon; 12-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Well best case scenario Internet goes back to pre-NN era (2015 was it?) and everyone continues to live happily
Honestly this is what I think will happen. Now I could very well be wrong as yes, big businesses can be scumbags sometimes (and this is coming from a business major, I know when to trash my own side ) and so all the things people are saying NN prevents from happening could happen... but by that same token, they may not happen as well, and all these possible fallout scenarios may be looked back upon as fear-mongering. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... even if governments such as mine follow America's lead, we've got time to watch how Project America plays out first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now
Old 12-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Praetorian

Old 12-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
I knew he looked familar. Golden Axe.
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Herald

Quote:
dank meme bro

hol up I got one

Spoiler!

So yeah the thing you thought NN protected you against? Never fucking did, and I reiterate that NN hasn't stopped any corporation affiliated with the internet from fucking me sideways in every other perfectly legal way anyway so I'm not sure what y'all are bemoaning the loss of. Toothless legislation? It's probably not a coincidence that companies like Comcast heavily backed pro-NN candidates' campaigns.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 12-15-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: image breaks forum format
Old 12-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
dank meme bro

hol up I got one

[motherhonking big image]

So yeah the thing you thought NN protected you against? Never fucking did, and I reiterate that NN hasn't stopped any corporation affiliated with the internet from fucking me sideways in every other perfectly legal way anyway so I'm not sure what y'all are bemoaning the loss of. Toothless legislation? It's probably not a coincidence that companies like Comcast heavily backed pro-NN candidates' campaigns.
I don't know what point you're trying to make, but either Brent Skorup and Brendan Carr are legally ignorant or they're politically corrupt (more likely), as they seem to be showing off that info (which is true) without explaining the legal repercussions that would follow from becoming not-an-ISP.

Quote:
I find all of this really really funny. I can't explain why without turning this overtly political, though, but suffice it to say that NN hasn't stopped my ISP from having an effective monopoly on cable internet where I live, it hasn't stopped them from screwing me as hard as they possibly can on my bill, it hasn't stopped Google, Facebook and others from gobbling up as much of the Internet as possible and forcing it through their filters, and I have more confidence in the FTC than I do the FCC.
As to your complaints, you're complaining about a symptom of non-Net Neutrality. The US hasn't had Net Neutrality since around 2003. The Obama-era regulations were a victory in an uphill battle, not a close to the war. You should give this a read; I imagine you'll wind up agreeing with much in here: http://www.businessinsider.com/inter...fcc-2017-4/#-1
Old 12-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Spoiler!

Verizon and Crate Entertainment present Grim Dawn online

Spoiler!

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!

Last edited by Chthon; 12-15-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Closed Thread