Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 11-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bugger View Post
I am one of the infinite storage people.
After you have played the game with multiple characters, you can practically go through the game blindfolded. You need an incentive to keep on playing, so I decide to try and save every set. Then collect all greens and blues. Other wise there is no incentive to continue playing.
One of the most fun games I've played in my many years was Fable the Lost Chapters. Have been playing since the days of pencil and paper. First computer Vic 20
Just my view.
Well, since the devolpers have stated they they will release all the modding tools we need, you should have more than enough content I'm sure... Perhaps you can run the vanilla game blindfolded, but if fans keep making good adventures I don't see the risk of getting bored anytime soon.

As for inventory, part of the charm with these games (for me at least) is the tough choices you have to make. Something's gotta go for that new item to be stored... A game without tough choices is, well, Pokemon...

I love the option to buy more inventory slots, the one we currently have is a bit on the small side. But I'm sure 4 of these bad boys (per character) will suffice.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Supporter

I gotta say I wasn't in the game since act 2 came, but now...with all 5 masterys and 20possible classess...al the new loot system....multiplayer...I'll definitly start playing again

As for future developments when the game is done...are there plans for additional masteries in expansion? )
Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 AM
Counsel

I think having ctrl+leftclick on an item in the infinite stash = delete (or sell) would help out those people who cannot resist storing and then freak out at the clutter.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Storage is actually kind of a personal thing, in terms of what is the right amount for people. Some people obviously want infinite storage and wish they could collect and categorize everything in the game. Other people will never hang on to enough stuff to fill up the storage available. Another group likes to collect things but wants some limit that eventually forces decisions about what to keep and what to sell.
Let's begin with the assumption that loot has some kind of 'value' for the player. If the player doesn't care about loot, then whatever system is fine for him. For me it's painful to sell items that could be useful - amazing even for different character should I decide to play it some day. Lack of storage also works against the idea of having item sets.

You're right that infinite storage isn't a good solution, because organizing it becomes a chore. What if the storage was organized automatically? Isn't that how computers help our daily lives?

Say you had an expanding storage panel for every equipment type. Equipment could be further grouped by level requirement. There would be a search field for attributes. So when you're playing alt character, you could find answer to question such as "do I have a req.8 ring with defensive ability bonus?" by selecting the right category and typing "defensive ability" in the search field. This type of storage is vastly superior to any outdated grid-field from the 90's.

It only becomes better from there. Right-clicking item to send it neatly to storage without need to shuffle anything around. Strictly inferior items automatically sold. Set items collected like Pokémon cards. Everything is accessible should you need it and time spent farming is never lost. Player could even play themed builds by focusing on certain attributes. There's an enormous appeal to incremental progression.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
....I think for many, myself included, it also starts to diminish the perceived value of items as you amass a vast trove of them. If you have limited space and you find a duplicate epic weapon, you'll tend to look at the stats and sell the lesser one. With infinite space, you'd probably keep collecting duplicates, because why not, and you'd end up with a dozen pairs of "The Final March." Personally, I'd find that kind of immersion breaking looking at pages of multiple "unique" items. I mean, sure, we all know that items can drop infinitely but actually collecting them and seeing multiple copies laid out next to one another for different epics just kind of twists the knife in the gut of my suspension of disbelief.
I have to respectfully disagree.
I love to collect things. I want to be able to have every "best" set for each class. I want to be able to hold unique items. But I would never care for duplicates. Why would you? You'd just want the one you think is the best, then give the other one to a friend or sell it or whatever. If you ever need another one, you can just duplicate it, if you really need to.

And on top of all of that, I need to be able to hold on to enough components for all my many, many classes/future classes. Especially since a lot of recipes take components. I don't want to ever be stressed out over finding components. But the way the component storage is... that's a problem. If there was a way to stack... or a separate component only storage (that would be amazing - kind of like GW2 material storage system, if you're familiar).

Note: I obviously do not collect every single component. I just want to keep a good amount (at least 5-10) of each one. I just keep the ones with the best completion bonuses and put the rest on a mule or sell. I will never ever keep the bare minimum amount of components. I have more of some than others because, like I said, I keep for other classes. Which I thought you liked to promote (having multiple classes/characters). In order to promote that and have an unforgiving game (no secondary class respec), there needs to be enough space to make it as painless as possible to start over or change it up.

I think that if you could only fix the component storage, THEN the stash space you provided is good enough (not for me - but for most players. I'll still resort to a mod or mules). I already have like 6 mules with jam packed personal stash/inventory.

For players who have put in hundreds of hours, I don't know how the stash space provided is good enough.

And I'm not asking for infinite storage. Just some quality of life storage improvements.

Even making it so your own personal stash has tabs! That would even be nice. Make it so it can hold the same amount as your shared stash. That would be enough for most players, I believe.

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that there is enough storage space in the game, and I hope you will take the needs of a large group of your gamers into consideration (I'm not sure exactly how many people want it - but I know a LOT of people do, not sure about "most" or even "half" so i don't want to commit).

Would you consider posting a poll about it?

Last edited by Mekka; 11-27-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Advocate

Mekka, Claudius and Joopa need you necro a developer post over a year old. It would be nice to have more storage space but when you consider that soon we can have access to people to rush you to get a 4 bag mule you could have 2 storage banks, plus we have external programs (soon TM) to do it smoothly wile in game. I do dislike that you can use the same tool to craft items , I do not mind easy storage but crafting a perfect item with a tool just seems wrong to me, removes the wow factor of getting the good items when the do show up

We have asked for more storage but I think its not too likely, I personally would love if our personal stash had 6 tabs (but was smaller to fit the buttons in net gain of like 3-4 full size stashes) and our shared stash had 8 tabs as I want one for incomplete components + items that I will be using soon from stash, 2 for complete components and relics then 5 to hold them items, as it is 2 of my 4 shared stash tabs are in permanent use, and you find so many damn items in game That it seems like one build is more than capable of easily maxing out your storage space. I tend to sell and demolish all duplicates just to save room, and only keep amazing greens. Its a shame because I find a lot of nice off build greens that just go to waste. Mind you my storage issues get nuked occasionally as hardcore is a cruel merchant of death.

Last edited by Unholyegon; 11-28-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9voltkilowatt View Post
All the storage space a real warrior needs... is a pair of hands.
Hahaha. Cheers!

Tags
components, grim misadventure, inventory, loot, modding