Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Campaigner

Got the itch to play Vandal Hearts, so went looking for my stash of old PSX iso's only to realise that was what was probably on a certain dead hard drive I presently use as a drink coaster in the vain home I'll one day replace the logic board...

So cue fluffing around with emulators, digging out the old disks and wondering just wtf I had to do to get things working.

And then I was up until 3am... Because while the story's utterly banal etc, the gameplay loop is fun.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Praetorian

Replaying Kingpin - Life of Crime...

Works nicely with hi-res patch.
Gangsta quake pulp fiction. The meat is flying.

Next will be probably Soldier of Fortune. I like good old FPS games, brief and to the point.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Initiate

Totally in love with x-com 2 long war mod as well!
Old 10-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindray View Post
Next will be probably Soldier of Fortune. I like good old FPS games, brief and to the point.
Was that the one where you could snipe a guy, standing next to another guy, and his buddy would stop and look around for a second, then continue doing whatever he was doing before as if nothing happen?

Or where you could kill people in a building and sneak around indoors, as long as you were crouched with a ghillie suit on?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirePenguin View Post
Was that the one where you could snipe a guy, standing next to another guy, and his buddy would stop and look around for a second, then continue doing whatever he was doing before as if nothing happen?

Or where you could kill people in a building and sneak around indoors, as long as you were crouched with a ghillie suit on?
Can't remember (I remember the innovative GHOUL engine though), decided that Kingpin was enough of a classic ride.

But what you describing, I remember that happened in Crysis 2 for me quite often...and crouching and AI awarness, I think it's the same in current games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I saw it on some stream.

But that's the thing of AI, making perfect AI is easy (perfect headshots like in first Farcry etc.), making fun AI is hard, and by fun I mean not buggy.
What you want is AI that leaves you with sliver of HP and challanges you, not actually beating the crap out of you, because that's too easy to do.

That's probably why devs use hidden mechanics in games like this, so you get this 'feeling':
https://www.pcgamer.com/developers-s...cs-on-twitter/
Old 11-03-2018, 01:23 AM
Campaigner

Back to mucking around building stuff in Empyrion: Galactic Survival, found out the hard way older saves from earlier this year were no longer compatible, but I'd saved all the more recent projects. With only one not saved in a more complete state, but that's okay since I'm rebuilding it considerably to increase hanger space. Now to just find the energy to get the capital ship projects finished, since I've got 4 that I've never finished and another bunch sitting in the designs book.

And then maybe, finally, get into Skywanders since the dev finally finished the new block system that uses free form blocks. Should allow for some really, really neat designs. aka the sort of stuff I'd like to be doable in Space Engineers, but isn't since stuff attached to rotors isn't printable and can summon Clang as well. Though the turret system hasn't been imported to the lasted build, so probably wait for the next build before I jump in.

Oh and Destiny 2's free for keeps today, so guess who's going to be titting around in Destiny 2 tonight? Probably wind up buying Forsaken next month or early next year if I can fit in the budget. Got to get a new(er) rain shell first that will fit my fatty self. And that's going to cost me ~NZ$200 to $300 /sigh
Old 11-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Advocate

Just picked up Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines on Gog Halloween sale for ~$5.

I've been told for a while that this is a decent RPG story near PST quality. TBD if the rpg legacy of this [fan-patched] Troika game holds up to my friends' nostalgia.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamster1 View Post
Just picked up Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines on Gog Halloween sale for ~$5.

I've been told for a while that this is a decent RPG story near PST quality. TBD if the rpg legacy of this [fan-patched] Troika game holds up to my friends' nostalgia.

Decent? Dude that game is a cult.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Campaigner

Back to Civ IV's Realism Invictus mod and once again loosing hours to stuffing around and regular crashes due to Memory Allocation Fault issue that comes from the Gamebryo engine it's built on having sh*tty memory management and not being 64bit. Managed to get back on top of the scores though via once again building up my armed forces and draining the treasury to expensively upgrade my fleets and armies.

Still haven't flipped the native cities I want, so might just engage in a lightening war to claim the rest of northern Aztlan. Though the natives to the south of the Inca's will soon fall the shear amount of culture I'm pumping out from both cities there.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Supporter

Replaying Hitman: Contracts and NFS: MW (2012)