Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Emissary

Default German and the use of compound words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylthar View Post
Die Rechtssprechung, weil sehr fallbezogen, ist nicht immer eindeutig. Man könnte jetzt philosophieren, ob diese Ingame-Käufe "alltägliche Geschäfte" sind und ob davon ausgegangen werden kann, dass Eltern so etwas grundsätzlich absegnen...aber lassen wir mal, wird zu viel.
I wonder why Germans like compound words so much.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 12-05-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: removed context and spoiler tag
Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Minister of Information

I tried to find an answer in Wikipedia, but it only explains what it is, not why (or if) we like it. It is basically a trait of German and other languages.

I am no linguist and thus it is tricky to explain my mother tongue. I think the sentence is better structured by writing a term without spaces. However, since our spelling reform from about 20 years ago, we can / shall use dashes to structure very long words. Also in some cases a word would change its meaning, if its parts were separated by a space.

Sometimes you misread a German compound word or automatic word wrap messes it up - e.g.: Blumentopferde (potting compost)
  • correct:
    Blumen-
    topferde
  • wrong:
    Blumento-
    pferde
    (blumento horses; blumento is no word )
Also Blumentopf (flower pot) is a compound word, too, but that has no influence on how to hyphenate it.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Also Blumentopf (flower pot) is a compound word, too, but that has no influence on how to hyphenate it.
Ha! my german teacher in these paid classes i attend gave this example

Compound words are one of the cool things about german. If you get a feel for it you can even intuitively use new words by adding some together.

The only thing i've never liked about german is gender declination Hopefully it will become second nature
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Minister of Information

Yes, you can create words like Abwasserbehandlungsanlage (sewage treatment facility) as needed.

But Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz (Wikipedia) is bad style, unintelligible and totally unacceptable. vBulletin even inserts a space after 50 chars, so that it does not break the forum format.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Yes, you can create words like Abwasserbehandlungsanlage (sewage treatment facility) as needed.

But Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübert ragungsgesetz (Wikipedia) is bad style, unintelligible and totally unacceptable. vBulletin even inserts a space after 50 chars, so that it does not break the forum format.
This is the longest word I was taught "Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebs werkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft"- like you said that space (Wiki) shouldn't be there

Last edited by Superfluff; 12-05-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Minister of Information

It's apparently an artificial word, and that society probably never existed. Well, if you are learning German, I have a compound word challenge for you.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Emissary

It fascinates me, this approach to naming new things and concepts. Some languages just make up new words whole-cloth (sometimes by portmanteau-ing and shortening the result), some mug other languages for their words in dark alleys, and some go "Well, we've got all these other pre-existing words that when assembled sort of mean what we're going for, so let's put them together and see what happens".

Last edited by Tycho; 12-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Advocate

I think, you refer to the word "Ingame-Käufe"?

The reason, why I choose this, is simple:
There is no such word in german as "Ingame". This is an english term and the whole word is something often called "denglish". Maybe a correct term would be: "Käufe innerhalb des Spiels."

It´s like when I´m talking about my "RPG-Bücher" (RPG-books). RPG is english and the correct word would be "Rollenspielbücher" (roleplay books). But roleplay has more than one meaning, so...

I´m a teacher who (as one subject) teaches how to write business letters. My pupils sometimes need "Denglish"-terms because they are used in companies and I tell them that this wirting with a "-" is one possible way.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Minister of Information

I was reminded of this thread when I read the word schmerzverzerrt (contorted[verzerrt] with pain[Schmerz]). I just realized its great spelling.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Compound words are one of the cool things about german. If you get a feel for it you can even intuitively use new words by adding some together.

The only thing i've never liked about german is gender declination Hopefully it will become second nature
Learn Dutch, it has most of the quirks of German, without the hassle of genders and whatnot. No need to learn those der, den, das, and so on, I never liked those in school and have forgotten them by now. Can still make myself understandable in German, I don't understand why it has to be so complicated.