Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
I mean at least change the ui to the windows one -_-
anyway, looks cool except for the ui, its larger than my laptop screen ._.
then I might as well change everything to C#

Java UIs are not inherently any bigger than Windows ones though, the same UI would have the same size on Windows too. Admittedly it currently is a bit larger than I would want it to be, but it fits in 1920x1080 without too much hassle. I can also still squeeze out some space by not having everything align for symmetry reasons (will probably have to change that a bit for the larger screens).

Worst case the screens get scrollbars or are broken up into more than one, e.g. have a popup for the selection parameters and result list and only once you have selected an item, go back to the previous screen.

As to why Java, because I know it better than C# and I am certainly not going to use any other than those two. As Java also comes with a DB built in, that was another point in its favor.

Quote:
I wonder if the devs will stop converting b24 transfer files into b26 ones now... (thats why they changed it, after all)
I highly doubt it

Quote:
I'm guessing this won't get released?
I am going back and forth on that, as i cannot read B26, it currently would mostly be for the crafting part, which I do not really want to be the primary feature

Quote:
edit: wait this can't read B26 format -- correct?
not yet, that is a matter of time, not of principle, might take a while though (ie after the official release)

Last edited by mamba; 07-08-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFaith View Post
Oh no, you shouldn't have shown something that would add convenience to our game play. Now some dev going to go and change file formats again
Nah, the devs are cool with that, just look at the trade and savegame threads
Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Nah, the devs are cool with that, just look at the trade and savegame threads
Then why are transfer files encrypted as of B25?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Apostle

Quote:
I think some people did some edits and then reported bugs?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
I assume this is more to not have issues from failed hacks during beta testing.

If they were not, then why would they offer to help me with the format once the game is released ?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post

Java UIs are not inherently any bigger than Windows ones though, the same UI would have the same size on Windows too. Admittedly it currently is a bit larger than I would want it to be, but it fits in 1920x1080 without too much hassle. I can also still squeeze out some space by not having everything align for symmetry reasons (will probably have to change that a bit for the larger screens).
Quote:
how come? changing it to windows look is one line of code, it is basically free. do you think swing looks better than the windows UI, on windows? in that case, go ahead, otherwise the cost of changing is small (maybe you'd have to move elements a few pixels)

Quote:
Java UIs are not inherently any bigger than Windows ones though, the same UI would have the same size on Windows too.
I think the opposite is mostly true(i.e. windows ui elements are bigger than swing) I think are almost the double the height. but the point is, it looks nicer since it is the same theme with rest of the OS

as for the ui, it doesn't have to be this big. item information could be tooltip, search results can be displayed in the same way as your inventory etc., but the worst case its just a fullscreen app and I can live with that, didnt mean this as a big thing ^_^
To those that ask, yes I still fuck with grim dawn, I enjoy it, especially with grimmalion/diablo 3 mods. and no, grimcalc is obsolote. Use grimtools. Its better. I can update grimcalc right now, but I am not sure if I should, or if I should keep it at v1009 since there is not much reason to create new builds in gc.
The remainder of this page is intentionally left blank ╮(︶︿︶)╭
Old 07-09-2015, 01:42 AM
Advocate

Great work mamba!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
how come? changing it to windows look is one line of code, it is basically free. do you think swing looks better than the windows UI, on windows?
ah, that is what you meant, yeah, I might do that. The layout is dynamic anyway, so there is nothing I have to layout differently either way

Quote:
I think the opposite is mostly true(i.e. windows ui elements are bigger than swing) I think are almost the double the height. but the point is, it looks nicer since it is the same theme with rest of the OS
might as well make it configurable

Quote:
as for the ui, it doesn't have to be this big. item information could be tooltip, search results can be displayed in the same way as your inventory etc., but the worst case its just a fullscreen app and I can live with that, didnt mean this as a big thing ^_^
it is a little bigger than I wanted, so the buttons might become a toolbar etc. All of that is simple anyways.

Search results are a list already (a table). the table takes up as much space as there is available, so as far as size is concerned it is the UI element I have to worry about the least
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Emissary

Shalie, Stormcaller, and Mamba,

How do y'all mofos have the picture icons? I'm willing to bet you didn't screen cap everything, but instead figured out how to extract .tex files. Would you mind sharing that information (or the icons) with me, a person learning how to program, so I can use them to make a fancy webpage?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Praetorian

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE DOING THIS IN JAVA?!?!

Good job.

Edit: Eww, Card Layout. I don't know why people like it so much other than convenience...never did like it relative to other alternatives. Yes, I can nitpick all day.

Quote:
Shalie, Stormcaller, and Mamba,

How do y'all mofos have the picture icons? I'm willing to bet you didn't screen cap everything, but instead figured out how to extract .tex files. Would you mind sharing that information (or the icons) with me, a person learning how to program, so I can use them to make a fancy webpage?
Turns out .tex files are basically .dds files, as revealed in an earlier thread:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectDraw_Surface