Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 PM
Champion

I have been reading:

Steve Berry - The Third Secret
Steve Berry - The 14th colonie (Cotton Malone)
James Rollins - Sandstorm (sigma force)

Currently reading James Rollins - Map of Bones (sigma force)
Old 07-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned User

Carrie by S. King
worth reading
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned User

The Bible of course. After all it's the best book in the universe!
I highly recommend.
All the best.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 07-15-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:34 AM
Campaigner

Finally finished The Brotherhood of the Wheel, only took me a month* but that definitely isn't a reflection on it's quality. Twas a fluffing good bit of urban/etc horror that took disparate bits of folklore and internet creepy pasta and weaves a solid and "fun" story.

Also devoured Elysium Fire thanks to the Civ 4 mod Realism Invictus' long turn times (I needz a faster CPU). And the fact that as per usual Reynold's masterful world building and story telling hooked me me enough to keep reading more than I was playing at times.

Currently - it's taken ages, but finally got around to reading The Traitor Baru Cormorant, which is turning out to be just as fluffing good as all the recommendations said it was. Lo-fantasy, colonialism, politics, revenge and some excellent horror elements to do with how the Empire of Masks deals with "unhygienic" behaviour. Methinks Baru's going to turn out to be an utter magnificent bastard. And it's got me hooked enough that I'll probably devour it today.

*One of the my other quirks, because neurological diversity never comes in 1 or 2's, is I have a pretty bad skin picking disorder, that gets worse the more depressed/tired/stressed out I am. And any activity that doesn't have both hands occupied is a risk factor. Sure, I can find diversion behaviours (hello fidget cube), but breaking 2 decades of ingrained habit takes time. So reading is obviously a bad risk, especially with an e-reader, as are Civ games...
Old 07-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Campaigner

The Traitor Baru Cormorant has been devoured, f*cking brilliant book.

Currently reading Gnomon which manages to out weird the previously weirdest book I've ever read, which is Vurt by Jeff Noon. It's also dense, filled with enough actual philosophy to make a first year philosophy student's head explode (ethics of surveillance and how that mashes into justice, bioethics concerning neuro-adjustment/interrogation, fucking Wittgenstein, literature/mythos wank), wrapped in an extremely strange meta-narrative concerning multiple stories where you're never sure exactly what's true outside of the Detective's thread. And even that's suspect in it's own way. Suffice to say though, in the last 100 pages it's building to quite the ending.

Is it worth reading? Sure, if you can settle yourself into the narrative and can get the story threads. But otherwise, if you can't, it's going to be extremely confusing and occasionally frustrating, given it's liberal use of rarely if used literature/mythology/philosophy terms that even I'm having trouble contextualising. And then there's the various breadcrumbs scattered through out that mesh together to provide a meta-meta narrative. Though it's been good enough to draw me away from the current Civ IV addiction.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned User

The same book I was reading in my previous post.

Last edited by medea fleecestealer; 07-28-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Champion

Been reading the Sigma Force series from James Rollins.

Currently reading James Rollins - The 6th Extinction.