Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Supporter

Quote:
I don't want to feel required to pick a specific second mastery just so I have a charge for melee.
I want unique masteries with unique active skills not more of the same in a different color (Damage type, slight variation on the impact). Those add zero to the game, as it has already been in there. For me Grim Dawn is exactly about that: Picking a specific mastery because of it's skills.

It is not that I don't think a distance-closer is good for all melee masteries but I am not interested in it if it is a copy of the very same skill an existing mastery has. If it does something different because it introduces something new, than it is worth to be added to a mastery, therefore DAIL or GD in general. I just think it is plain boring/stupid/lazy (and somehow likely because making completly "different" skills in a mod is difficult) to just copy a skill from one mastery to another. In the 30 masteries in DAIL there are like (not exactly counted) 7 or so with a sprint variation.

Quote:
I am vehemently against "combining" any masteries, to the point that I would certainly quit the mod. I'm appalled to even see the suggestion.
This is interesting. Altough in GD you obviously can play a single mastery and there are various interesting build discussions about that here on the forums: Nothing forces you to it the one way or the other. However, the dinstictive features which sets TQ and GD apart from usual class based ARPG is exactly that you can combine them - where PoE goes even further and just puts you in a different starting position with a difference of only I guess it had been around 15-30 skillpoints in total - I think this is an important feature. For me it is also as important that you don't have to pick a second mastery, but that you can.

Last edited by NoxMortem; 11-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxMortem View Post
This is interesting. Altough in GD you obviously can play a single mastery and there are various interesting build discussions about that here on the forums: Nothing forces you to it the one way or the other. However, the dinstictive features which sets TQ and GD apart from usual class based ARPG is exactly that you can combine them - where PoE goes even further and just puts you in a different starting position with a difference of only I guess it had been around 15-30 skillpoints in total - I think this is an important feature. For me it is also as important that you don't have to pick a second mastery, but that you can.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm against your suggestion of merging Mage and Elementalist into one mastery.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. So someone is being misunderstood here at least .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxMortem View Post
I want unique masteries with unique active skills not more of the same in a different color (Damage type, slight variation on the impact). Those add zero to the game, as it has already been in there. For me Grim Dawn is exactly about that: Picking a specific mastery because of it's skills.

It is not that I don't think a distance-closer is good for all melee masteries but I am not interested in it if it is a copy of the very same skill an existing mastery has. If it does something different because it introduces something new, than it is worth to be added to a mastery, therefore DAIL or GD in general. I just think it is plain boring/stupid/lazy (and somehow likely because making completly "different" skills in a mod is difficult) to just copy a skill from one mastery to another. In the 30 masteries in DAIL there are like (not exactly counted) 7 or so with a sprint variation.
I think we just have a fundamental difference of opinion on what we want. NO, BAD, STOP HAVING AN OPINION.

Last edited by AlienFromBeyond; 11-06-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Supporter

Aaahhh! *Lightbulb* I am also completly against "merging" them together We both completly misunderstood each other, and as I started the whole misunderstanding: Sorry

I meant I am not sure if we need Elementalist AND Mage but more Elementalist OR Mage. Unless someone who has actually played both can tell me how those masteries add something completly different to DAIL. This could be the case, as I have not played the Mage but from the nexusmods page it more reads like I want to only have the "more interesting" of those two masteries in DAIL, but I do not know which of the two is better as I have not played the Mage
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Herald

Oh, then we're in complete agreement! I too haven't played Mage but it does seem to cover much of the same ground as Elementalist. But perhaps someone wants to go full archmage, though I'm not sure how you couldn't do that already with Elementalist + caster mastery of choice. The conversion skills Elementalist has means it works with almost everything. Hell, the fire conversion is amazing with Arcanist's OFF.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
Oh, then we're in complete agreement! I too haven't played Mage but it does seem to cover much of the same ground as Elementalist. But perhaps someone wants to go full archmage, though I'm not sure how you couldn't do that already with Elementalist + caster mastery of choice. The conversion skills Elementalist has means it works with almost everything. Hell, the fire conversion is amazing with Arcanist's OFF.
Elementalist needs to get out! It is overpowered, no it is almost like cheating.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Praetorian

Yeah, remove that shitty mastery already.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Supporter

Ceno must know :P
Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Herald

If I ever find myself bored, and with Ceno's permission, I could attempt to balance the class for the DAIL environment.

I suppose this could go for every mastery. If the DAIL base really wants something closer to balance, some modders, or modders-to-be need to step up and take on that challenge.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathanious View Post
If I ever find myself bored, and with Ceno's permission, I could attempt to balance the class for the DAIL environment.

I suppose this could go for every mastery. If the DAIL base really wants something closer to balance, some modders, or modders-to-be need to step up and take on that challenge.
There are a lot of masteries/skills that need balance - and i don't even played all the masteries.

- Elementalist
=> to much dmg
=> the fire skill which reduces 100% res
=> lightning storm to strong

- Frost Knight
=> that ice block skill which makes you invincible forever - wtf is this?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Supporter

Iceblock also renders you unable to act. It only is really extreme in a retaliation build. Based on its ret bonus that is the whole idea behind it.