Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 12-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bad parenting my ass

I am old, I admit that, but this is just total bullshit...

I had to ignore xmas this year due to finances but now that some gifts were sent my way, I was able to take the two kids aside and get them each something.

Youngest, age 11, only wanted Blizzard money to open Overwatch loot boxes and the elder, 15, wants to join his cousin in WoW, and thus wanted Legion and a subscription.

I have not been under a rock, I know loot boxes are evil, but I had never really touched World of Warcaft before. And hence the thread.

Was WoW the first game to charge for the base game, and dlc and require a subscription? Cause it seems to me that this model is fucking insane and there should have been EA levels of backlash for such a conceited, POS buisness model. Looking back in time, it appears that WoW came and when while I was playing TQmods. Boy was that game a steal in terms of value.

I just want to throw in the towel and remove all PCs from my home and buy a Switch. The only thing I was looking forward to was Battlefront and that is already over for me as the progression is just utter BS. And it just seems that everything my kids want to play has at least some flavor of BS MTX/DLC/etc.

Anyway, for now, I go in to the garage and get my XArcade controller out and am reaquiring MAME to find some games to play. Lets not talk about the fact that as a kid, I could easily sink 40 bucks worth of quarters in the arcade on a Friday night. This was meant to be more of a get those kids off my lawn rant.

But seriously, the WoW model utterly shocked and sickened me. It has me hoping that my kid can realize in only one month that he does not want to renew it, cause I already reconfigured PayPal to block anything Blizzard, if it should ever try to come back for more. I personally would have prefered to burn the money than to do what I just did with it.
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
Was WoW the first game to charge for the base game, and dlc and require a subscription? Cause it seems to me that this model is fucking insane and there should have been EA levels of backlash for such a conceited, POS buisness model.
This is pretty much the standart MMORPG business model, and afaik WoW wasn´t the first to do that.

It isn´t as bad as it seems. You have to pay for the "base game", sure. The subscription is for the servers and updates and what have not. WoW-Addons are huge and cost a lot ( you are paying 40-50ish Euros for a new addon I think).
I t seems insane, but you are actually getting your moneys worth, in terms of content.

Speaking as a WoW-addiction survivor, I´d advise you to keep your offspring as far away from MMORPGs as possible. It can be highly addictive and UTTERLY time consuming. You can´t just pause and save the game, the game world is always revolving, changing, there are events and what have not all the time. It´s a fucking KRAKEN.

If you are really into WoW, THAT is all you´ll be playing, and to really get something out of it, you´ll have to play it 4+ hours.
Every day.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Speaking as a WoW-addiction survivor, I´d advise you to keep your offspring as far away from MMORPGs as possible. It can be highly addictive and UTTERLY time consuming. You can´t just pause and save the game, the game world is always revolving, changing, there are events and what have not all the time. It´s a fucking KRAKEN.

If you are really into WoW, THAT is all you´ll be playing, and to really get something out of it, you´ll have to play it 4+ hours.
Every day.
This.

I played WoW for 5 years and I played it a lot. It was fun to play but at this point in my life I was mainly single and had a lot of spare time.

As for the price I disagree with Tsuelue:
You can have the base game with 3 Addons for 8,00 € (I once read, digital this is for free!). This other addons (3?) have a price from 10 to 19 €. This is not much.

The monthly costs are 11,00 € per month (6-Month subscription) which is nearly the same as Netflix (here in Germany). That´s okay, too, in my eyes.

But, as said:
Don´t let him play it or activate ingame that he can´t play longer than X hours a day. I think WoW has this feature.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuelue View Post

Every day.
This 1 000%. I really hate to admit it but I was playing WoW late primary school/early secondary school and I recall weekends/holidays where I would wake up super early (7-9am) and would play non-stop until midnight only ever pausing for breakfast, bathroom breaks or dinner.

I haven't played an MMO in years now (and it's been almost 10 years since I played WoW) but that game devoured my time more than any game I've played in recent times did.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I am aware that it sucks the life of out people, but thanks for re-iterating that fact.

It was on sale so like 7 + 24 + 12 or something for base, legion, 1 month, but when you think that all that money is up in smoke in 1 month unless I pay another month, well, it feels like a trap.

Anyway, the goal is 1 month at a time and if the grades increase each month, we will continue. Probably sounds like the wrong plan to most people, but he refused to "want" anything else and after a week of saying NEVER, he still persisted and I felt helpless.

Not sure what is going to happen. The dlc Legion said something about getting to level 100 right away or something, so hopefully this cuts his grind time down by a lot since he is mainly playing with someone that has already been playing awhile.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
Yeah, I am aware that it sucks the life of out people, but thanks for re-iterating that fact.

It was on sale so like 7 + 24 + 12 or something for base, legion, 1 month, but when you think that all that money is up in smoke in 1 month unless I pay another month, well, it feels like a trap.

Anyway, the goal is 1 month at a time and if the grades increase each month, we will continue. Probably sounds like the wrong plan to most people, but he refused to "want" anything else and after a week of saying NEVER, he still persisted and I felt helpless.

Not sure what is going to happen. The dlc Legion said something about getting to level 100 right away or something, so hopefully this cuts his grind time down by a lot since he is mainly playing with someone that has already been playing awhile.
Create an account yourself and play with him. Then see how much his interest holds up

Honestly, best is probably to take genuine interest in it; ask him questions, get him to keep you updated on what he's discovering and his progression etc. Then at least he knows you're on his side and you will also keep across any issues that may arise. You can also then also point out the psychological traps etc and guide him towards better games.

Put him on to some Extra Credits videos (I.e. Design by landfill) so he can educate himself on game design and particularly the systems used in WoW etc.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Praetorian

I watched someone play wow for like 5 minutes and my interest rapidly declined.

MMO's being large time/money sinks and some mechanics add to the avoidance of such games.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Herald

Ultima Online was my wow, i always found it a boring , watered experience.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Herald

Man, do they need better taste in video games. Skinner Box simulators like WoW are something I don't wish on most people, and Overwatch is just trendy garbage.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Man, do they need better taste in video games. Skinner Box simulators like WoW are something I don't wish on most people, and Overwatch is just trendy garbage.
I agree completely. But it does not even seem to be up to them, it is whatever their friends do, which is why I feel this whole concept of parenting is just smoke and mirrors. They either sit miserable in isolation or you let them online, where they launch a myriad of applications and engage in non stop conversation with god knows who. The video games almost appear secondary to their need to connect with their friends, for lack of a better word. But somehow, somebody chose these games.