Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Apostle

Default SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

I know it's been done once(atleast) before, but I noticed many have either not discovered all notes (no, i haven't either) or have yet to finish the game on ultimate (pain in the a**, but fun)

A Pledge to Cairn is for now the name of the final quest of both the factions. There is no means to activate the quest or access the quest details since they don't exist for now. Any ideas what they might be?

Firstly, Uroboruuk, he decided to investigate a strange energy emanated by an Ancient Evil (Forgotten God/ Korvaak/ Empyrion), the energy has riled up even Cthonians (Read his Journal pages, it indicates the Cthonian spawns were out investigating that as well). The source of this seems to situated east of Burwitch (which is where Kymon unearthed the Forgotten God)
I have one question, is Korvaak mentioned anywhere except by The Chosen?

Speaking of Uroboruuk, I can't really say that we would get to meet him since his son is out there trying to kill him (Read Dravis' Letters)

And not to Outcast's Revenge as well, that Faction quest too is not accessible. And hopefully will provide us more insight into the Aetherials (Karroz's note suggests they might be past agents of Gods and were abandoned once they served their purpose). I have never killed her though, can someone post an SC of her Wrath of Aether boss form?

I also think that Uroboruuk and Solael are the same, since both their lores (Solael's constellation and Dravis' Letters) indicate they sacrificed lives to attain immortality. Thoughts?

Plus, there's the obvious Ulgrim cliffhanger (I hope they don't bring him back Diablo 2 style with Chthon in his body). Or do you guys think Ulgrim will be a badass version of Deckard Cain (Don't include Diablo 3's butterflies please)?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 AM
Counsel

You can find Uroboruuk sometimes near burrwitch as the note tell us, and its a part of the last mission from Order's of Death...

About Korvaak he was like an "attendant" of Empyrion and you can fight him in his Tomb at west of Fort Ikon if you're Order's Of Death friendly.

Im trying to find out who was the three gods!

I think that Mogdrogen is one, Empyrion (the forgotten god) the second, and maybe the third will be the Outcast's god that i not mentioned in lores!

About Ulgrim, you just need to fight the last boss to know what happens to him, to be continued...

How to you know about the pledge to Cairn?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthul View Post
You can find Uroboruuk sometimes near burrwitch as the note tell us, and its a part of the last mission from Order's of Death...
We can find him near Burwitch. Where?
I only fought his guardian as part of the quest, didn't find him.

Quote:
About Korvaak he was like an "attendant" of Empyrion and you can fight him in his Tomb at west of Fort Ikon if you're Order's Of Death friendly.
Wait we can fight Korvaak?
Cause i cleared his tomb and only found markings (which i think are similar to the one in Shrine of Forgotten God)

Quote:
Im trying to find out who was the three gods!

I think that Mogdrogen is one, Empyrion (the forgotten god) the second, and maybe the third will be the Outcast's god that i not mentioned in lores!
The Three, as they're commonly referred to are the three witch Gods - Dreeg, Solael and Bysmiel (They're mentioned in the Occultist's masteries) Mogdrogen is some kind of titan created during the war of Gods (read his constellation).

Empyrion (Don't really know about this guy, the details are sketchy).

What do you mean the Outcast's God?

Quote:
About Ulgrim, you just need to fight the last boss to know what happens to him, to be continued...
I know, my question isn't what happened to Ulgrim. I was just saying i hope he returns as it is, cause he's one of the better characters. I don't want Crate to make him the Diablo 2 Dark Wanderer (The D1 hero who became a vessel for Diablo). Creed and Ulgrim are my favorite characters

Quote:
How to you know about the pledge to Cairn?
I know about it through the wikia (Don't bother trying to search for it, since there's no info regarding it except for the name)

Also,
Can someone explain to me the Necropolis lore (Found in Commission of Necropolis notes)?

Last edited by Chthon; 03-29-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Herald

Actually that's not the place where he unearthed/summoned "The forgotten god"

From the one of the Misadventures
Quote:
One of his inquests led him to a remote village, built atop the ruins of an ancient city, which villagers claimed was the resting place of a forgotten god. The faded visage of the god, etched into the wall of a chamber below the city was similar to ancient stones he had seen in other parts of the empire.
In "Scribe Osteram's Notes" you can see something mentions about the forgotten god. You can find that note at the Shrine of the forgotten god.

Yeah Dravis could be one of Uroboruuk children.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Counsel

Grim Dawn`s lore is sketchy on the surface but if you pay attention, look around, read all the notes and exhaust all character dialog options you see that is totally the opposite.

The world is huge and its mythology seems quite deep and, for me at least, fascinating (fan of Chtulu theme and apocalypse in general).

Obvious loose ends which need to be closed in the hopefully at least 2 expansions:

> Korvaak = Forgotten God (perhaps he was the one abandoning the what were Etherials eons ago?) - prime candidate for the Big Bad in the end.

> Uroboruuk - Dravis is his son - all this connects with the Forgotten God (big clash between Kymon`s and Order perhaps?).

> Anasteria - we will find perhaps the true reason of why the Etherials want to enslave Cairn (i would assume at one point they are not the main enemy but the Forgotten God).

> Chton - even though we killed his kind of Avatar in the end, he is still out there. Some call him the betrayed and cut to million pieces god - why did this happen, perhaps the Forgotten god was behind this as well?

> Ulrgrim - my favourite NPC as well, high chance to become a boss (possessed by Chton....) here is hoping we can save him

My prediction based on all the lore i found is that the Forgotten God will appear to pull strings from all angles. Perhaps Chton is his pawn or his victim as well as Aetherials. Might end that all parties combine forces in the end to defeat him or he will bring end to all existence bla bla.

What is certain is that there is enough material to iron out a lot more stories in Cairn.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Herald

If you look at the Community Localizations files and than read the conversation between you and anasteria. It is pretty clear on what the aetherials want. However I never seem to get that dialog or maybe only with a new char?

It seems that the gods need some followers and shrines to be able to have their avatar on the world of cairn. Seems a bit strange perhaps tips is some what needed after the war of the gods.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Emissary

I got the impression that Korvaak is just another name for Chton from the conversation you have with that messenger after you do all the Chosen quests. Might be me though.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricius View Post
Actually that's not the place where he unearthed/summoned "The forgotten god"

From the one of the Misadventures
Well I didn't know that. Thanks, but does this mean the Forgotten God and Korvaak are two distinct beings. Since, iirc some Chosen or maybe Kymon himself do mention Korvaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricius View Post
In "Scribe Osteram's Notes" you can see something mentions about the forgotten god. You can find that note at the Shrine of the forgotten god.
Yeah i found that one already.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
I got the impression that Korvaak is just another name for Chton from the conversation you have with that messenger after you do all the Chosen quests. Might be me though.
Well, he could be related to Chthon since we find the Bloodsworn in his tomb. But if the Forgotten God and Korvaak are the same entity then it is possible that Korvaak is either older than Chthon who has now been forgotten(probably not, since Chthon is the forefather of all Gods but still a possibility) or the being who banished Chthon to the void after taking his blood.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Emissary

Empyrion did the banishing, so no on that point.

On the Korvaak/Chton point, both their circumstances (banished or forgotten) and their motivation (want to go back to/take over the world) are pretty much the same. To me it doesn't seem so much of a stretch that the same banished god is working on more than one plan to take over the world at the same time. If the chtonians fail (we kill log so they failed for now) there's always those religious fanatics to try something else.

Last edited by Avyctes; 03-29-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Tags
discussion, lore