Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll from behind View Post
One does not simply "complete" Grim Dawn, but I have burned Chthons "female private part" and that french fagg....aetherial boss, so kinda.
so you already enjoyed that part with a burning witch

P.S. speaking about heresies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OqVYA4htE
Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
Okay. At first I was "nice wink this come back to TQ!", now I feel that GD may loss its mood with the next expansion, like D2 went more 'politically correct' and lost the D1 nightmare charm.
Little pony and rainbow stories lol.
Umm, did we play the same game? Diablo II? Like, forgot Andariel's chamber with the impaled and bloodily dismembered corpses of rogues, or the tower of the Countess with all the blood? And let's not forget that many of those rogues that survived got transformed into mutated demon ladies who run around topless... Same thing with the cat-lady Lacuni in Act 2, except they have twice the number of boobs.
And anyone who tells me Diablo III is "PC and not grimdark enough", I like to recommend him to visit Leoric's dungeons, where you can literally play football with basketfulls of severed heads, find torture implements only seen in nightmares (and try them out on convenient corpses!), or the horrid bloated zombies that explode and shower you with demon children.

I am sure the expansion will have plenty of horrors for us in store. It will just be a different kind of horror than the Fleshworks (I showed screenshots of that to a friend of mine who is a big WH40K fan and he said "Grandfather Nurgle would approve!")
We already know we will encounter followers of the Witch Gods, and based on their depictions on statues, I'd count at least Dreeg into the category of Lovecraftian horrors. After all, most people who see him turn insane...
Old 04-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
Okay. At first I was "nice wink this come back to TQ!", now I feel that GD may loss its mood with the next expansion, like D2 went more 'politically correct' and lost the D1 nightmare charm.
It was still a good game. The Marius' narration was were very well done. Act I jail alone should be proof that this ain't a kids game.
Then the brothel beneath Jehryn's Palace wasn't a pretty sight either. Overall the game had a pretty depressing vibe to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Shockwave View Post
And anyone who tells me Diablo III is "PC and not grimdark enough", I like to recommend him to visit Leoric's dungeons, where you can literally play football with basketfulls of severed heads, find torture implements only seen in nightmares (and try them out on convenient corpses!), or the horrid bloated zombies that explode and shower you with demon children.
Warcraft III had Dark moments/stuff as well and Diablo 3 looked exactly like Warcraft III and less like a Diablo game. The final Act of Diablo 3 literally had a blue filter over the entire Act to capture the "dark vibe"
It's not perceived as Dark as previous installments because of various design choices. You mentioned Leoric's dungeon, when I first entered it I thought I was in a Torchlight game. The colors were too flashy and some statues looked like they were former Autobots.

I know Tal'Rasha's set from the original game was a mess and when many enemies looked like crap when various effects got applied to them but that game didn't have as good as resources as the D3 team had and they couldn't pull it off. Having a different design philosiphy is one thing and can most certainly be forgiven the characters are a big reason why that game's storyline can never be taken seriously. Diablo isn't Stephen King's Dark Tower, it's simple fiction. It doesn't have a deep plot but the way it was presented in the previous games was pretty cut and dried. Diablo 3 pretty much shits on the storyline. The game is literally designed to be played on mute despite featuring voice talents of the likes of Steven Blum

So yes Diablo 3 has a dark vibes but it always looks more like Warcraft game than a Diablo sequel

That being said Grim Dawn despite a lot of similarities was never intended to be a Diablo Successor but rather spiritual successor to TQ. Also thread derailed

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Shockwave View Post
And anyone who tells me Diablo III is "PC and not grimdark enough", I like to recommend him to visit Leoric's dungeons
I do not really care for grimdark, TQ with its bright und sunny colors is just fine for me as well, but D2 was a lot darker than D3. Both in the colors chosen and in the depictions.

D3 is too cartoony, colorful and blurry for me to take it serious, no matter how many skulls it puts into a room.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Speaker

I'm surprised no one ever made a game named Grimdark, actually.
Bruce - Emperor's Commando 80 Random - Druid of the storm 45
Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
too cartoony, colorful and blurry for me to take it serious, no matter how many skulls it puts into a room.
and thats why i do not like all popular mmorpg's in general on single player games, there are some exceptions and grim dawn is one
Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
That being said Grim Dawn despite a lot of similarities was never intended to be a Diablo Successor but rather spiritual successor to TQ.
A new TQ but with the more D1-grade mood. Play awhile and listen.

Last edited by Vifarc; 04-19-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzak View Post
Ikr? How dare those desert people to also use bricks for their temples, houses and stuff???
It's too early to tell. But there's some similarity with color rendering.
also this pics,too much like the one before entering the entrance of OA underground especially from this angle ~~

Old 04-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Advocate

Is it just me, or is anyone else reminded of Dune?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Acolyte

Exclamation My 2 cents!

Just makes me think of Diablo 3 desert areas. I can only admit the palms and water add to the decor in general.

Tags
grim misadvent, grim misadventure, world