Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Campaigner

To Cthulhu:
Strictly peaking, you´re right. But there a few Cthulhu Games which are slightly different in these matters. I´m thinking about Pulp Cthulhu or Achtung! Cthulhu. Trail of Cthulhu is another really great game.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Campaigner

I am running two Star Wars campaigns using the Fantasy Flight ruleset as well as Pathfinder's Iron Gods adventure path and a Dungeons and Dragons 5E campaign.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Live View Post

I tried call of chthulu but even if i loved Lovecraft as a writer i don't think a lovecraftian setting is functional to a rpg cause if you have to be loyal to what he wrote everything just makes you mad at its mere sight.
Call of Cthulhu, despite taking its name from a Lovecraft story, and sticking the word 'Lovecraftian' in its byline, well, it's not strictly speaking true to HPL. Which is a fine thing.

Lovecraft himself disavowed any notion that his stories necessarily took place in a shared universe, unless explicitly stated in the stories. The guy who's responsible for that conceit, as well as coining the term 'Mythos' is Wisconsin's own August Derleth. And there are many, many more writers who wrote along similar themes, including several who wrote before Lovecraft, including an Irish bloke named Lord Dunsany, and a crazy Texan called Robert E Howard.

Frankly, getting away from Lovecraft purity is fine thing. He was a crazy, paranoid bigot who believed in miscegenation and white supremacy (wonder how he and Howard got to be friends, lol). Not enough credit gets spread around to the other writers, especially from the past 50 years or so.

CoC is one of my all-time favorite tabletop games. Yes, it can be brutal on characters, but sometimes I like games like that. Hell, I'm a Warhammer Fantasy fan as well.

Steam ID 'thederrick'
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Campaigner

As I said, you can always play Pulp Cthulhu or some other Cthulhu-themed RPG.

Warhammer Fantasy...well, a new version is coming this year. And now I will finally buy it!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Advocate

Totally looking forward to 4e WFRP!

I'm not looking for other Cthulhu games - I love CoC! I just wish Chaosium would back off the Lovecraft branding (and I've told them as much, but they's a bunch of crusty Midwestern grognards). There are LOTS of authors in that genre.

Steam ID 'thederrick'
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Campaigner

Well, CoC is nice without a question.

Here in Germany we have a very active publisher and so I got a lot of RPG-books from them. Have a lot of old classics, too, likke Horror on Orient Express or Mountains of Madness.

I like Cubicle 7 and I´m happy that they bring WHFRPG. They have really good RPG Products but sadly ended their Cthulhu-line last year.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Emissary

Nice to know the bug didn't just bite me recently.

I'm currently trying to get the time free (and convince some newbie players) to GM a Savage Rifts campaign.

I've also been homebrewing an EABA v2 based game around SCP material (using EABA CORPS setting as the basis). Probably won't have any luck getting that to table in my area though due to the learning curve. But maybe if the table enjoys the Savage Rifts, I might be able to lure them.

Of course, if I get the free time I'd also really like to veg out on Grim Dawn for a bit.

The Fermi Paradox is God nerfing Civilization: Reality Edition.

Last edited by reapersgaze; 01-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Initiate

The Legend of Drizzt lately.
I got Cavern Tavern on Kickstarter, pretty fun to play.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Advocate

Going to pick up 2nd Ed Mouse Guard soon...

Steam ID 'thederrick'
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Praetorian

Video games have become very dull and disappointing. Was glad some friends contacted me saying they were trying to get a DnD 5e group going. But the DM and such as realllly slow as doing his thing. Instead I DM 2 groups of 4-5 players each with, almost weekly, play sessions.

Campaign 1 - Tiamat Themed
Started with Sunless Citadel and going into Forge of Fury. Followed by Red Hand of Doom and Rise of Tiamat. After that who knows. Since the first 8-9 levels will be in the Elsir Vale I've been spending a lot of time on world building and adding side content and stuff to make it feel more alive and interesting.

Campaign 2 - Underdark/Spiderqueen themed
Lost mines of Phandalver with some adjustments. The Night Below and then City of the Spiderqueen

Thing is... I really want to play instead of only DM. Can't find a 5e group in my timezone that plays during the week days.

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix