Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Initiate

I'm trying this as my first character, and I'm level 59 in A2 elite now. Would it be viable to use primal strike either as a second auto attack or a nuke as a clearing skill? Thermite mines with reckless tempest just feels awful to me. I don't know if losing the -lightning resist from thermite mines is too much though. Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipset View Post
I'm trying this as my first character, and I'm level 59 in A2 elite now. Would it be viable to use primal strike either as a second auto attack or a nuke as a clearing skill? Thermite mines with reckless tempest just feels awful to me. I don't know if losing the -lightning resist from thermite mines is too much though. Thanks
On thermite mines with tempest: This build is now several game versions outdated, as I've said several times now (including in the post immediately before yours). I do not recommend taking tempest for this build anymore. You NEED the RR from thermite mines. However, reckless tempest with thermites is bad - switch to elemental storm instead IMO.

On PS as a nuke: It could work. I've seen a few elementalist and vindicator variants using it for such, but i haven't setup a calc myself for this.
Barnacle_Ed#1801 on Discord.

Current main: C R A B C O M M A N D O
Currently leveling: Storm Bolter. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52296
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mournslayer View Post
On thermite mines with tempest: This build is now several game versions outdated, as I've said several times now (including in the post immediately before yours). I do not recommend taking tempest for this build anymore. You NEED the RR from thermite mines. However, reckless tempest with thermites is bad - switch to elemental storm instead IMO.

On PS as a nuke: It could work. I've seen a few elementalist and vindicator variants using it for such, but i haven't setup a calc myself for this.
Thanks, I'll pick up elemental storm and start leveling it on the side to switch over to.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Initiate

Looking forward to the update, when you get it out...
Old 12-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Initiate

This is my first real build after a normal/discovery playthrough and it's been a blast up until ultimate.
I am really looking forward for your update as well, when you got the time to get to it!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Initiate

Smile

@Mournslayer :
Thank you so much for the build.
It helped me a lot in my Grim Dawn adventures (I'm not finished yet, but if I managed to went so far in the game it is thanks to you ^^).
And thank you for keeping it updated as you do.

So, it must be a lot of work (a huge amount of work), but it is a really appreciated one!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:29 AM
Speaker

Welp, it's been a long time coming and after postponing this for a long time...I finally managed to update the first post for AoM. And I can confirm firsthand that Sparkthrowers are AMAZING weapons that everyone ought to try at least once. I'm falling in love with this build all over again

Big shout-out to the many folks on the "exceptionally classy officially unofficial GD Discord" who kept pestering me with questions about this build, which is what prompted me to finally update this!

Currently leveling: Storm Bolter. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52296
Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Initiate

Thanks for the update! Having a blast with this build so far.

Question: Is it viable for those of us without AoM?

I've kind of been winging it on the devotions and have not got to the point where I have access to faction gear yet...
Old 03-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatrog View Post
Question: Is it viable for those of us without AoM?
For others in the same boat, I found this info on a 2H melee elementalist thread:

"It's not just 50 points instead of 55 - without expansion you won't have many convenient constellations.

grimtools.com/calc/DV9rmQPZ

This should do, but to be honest I don't like this setup that much. The route itself is very similar to the one listed in my first post:

Candle -> Eel -> Kraken -> Owl -> Tempest -> whatever -> Spear of the Heavens"
Old 03-31-2018, 01:56 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatrog View Post
For others in the same boat, I found this info on a 2H melee elementalist thread:

"It's not just 50 points instead of 55 - without expansion you won't have many convenient constellations.

grimtools.com/calc/DV9rmQPZ

This should do, but to be honest I don't like this setup that much. The route itself is very similar to the one listed in my first post:

Candle -> Eel -> Kraken -> Owl -> Tempest -> whatever -> Spear of the Heavens"
I'm not a fan of that devotion progression TBH. Tempest has been underwhelming ever since mines were changed to share a CD for it rather than each mine having its own Tempest proc CD (so you can't shotgun enemies with tempest mines anymore), you really want Hawk in this build, and Empty Throne is going to give you crucial resists that Owl won't. The Spear of the Heavens proc is pretty underwhelming at best in my experience. Ghoul seems OK at least - while we already have a circuit breaker in the form of Blast Shield it does add in ADCtH which is always good.

I'd do something more like this: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4ZDDvXkZ you can always move the point from the yellow crossroads into the Spear proc instead if you so choose, but I'd honestly rather have the 5% health personally.

Tags
2-handers, elementalist, lightning, primal strike, savagery