Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:32 PM
They Live They Live is online now
Herald
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Weird boot shaped peninsula
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
Did you know there are people in this world who actually believe his works are non-fiction?


People believe i everything i guess.
__________________
RogalYova!!!! (i'm agoraphobianosebleed on twitch)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Chthon's Avatar
Chthon Chthon is online now
Apostle
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Live View Post
People believe i everything i guess.
I mean when people follow a guy who said some pretty random stuff by looking into a hat or a guy who told us aliens spirits are the reason we're unhappy and they need to spend trillions of dollars to fix themselves this isn't too far fetched
Heck i'd probably be more willing to serve Cthulhu over any of the other cults err..religions
__________________
All my builds can be found in the Build Compendium V and on my profile page

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM
They Live They Live is online now
Herald
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Weird boot shaped peninsula
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
I mean when people follow a guy who said some pretty random stuff by looking into a hat or a guy who told us aliens spirits are the reason we're unhappy and they need to spend trillions of dollars to fix themselves this isn't too far fetched
Heck i'd probably be more willing to serve Cthulhu over any of the other cults err..religions


Cthulhu doesn't care if you serve it or not, you are not but a plancton in the ocean for him.
__________________
RogalYova!!!! (i'm agoraphobianosebleed on twitch)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Martimus's Avatar
Martimus Martimus is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
I mean when people follow a guy who said some pretty random stuff by looking into a hat or a guy who told us aliens spirits are the reason we're unhappy and they need to spend trillions of dollars to fix themselves this isn't too far fetched
Heck i'd probably be more willing to serve Cthulhu over any of the other cults err..religions
I'm with you on that. Religion, in my opinion, is the most horrible destructive force ever to exist on this planet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:47 PM
They Live They Live is online now
Herald
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Weird boot shaped peninsula
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
I'm with you on that. Religion, in my opinion, is the most horrible destructive force ever to exist on this planet.


That's a very common thought nowadays, heritage of positivism/ illuministic moral. I strongly disagree but i don't think this is the right place to talk about this topic.
__________________
RogalYova!!!! (i'm agoraphobianosebleed on twitch)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Autentist's Avatar
Autentist Autentist is offline
Emissary
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Russian Federation, Crimea
Posts: 846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
I'm with you on that. Religion, in my opinion, is the most horrible destructive force ever to exist on this planet.
I disagree with this also. Mainly because our branch of Christianity is conservative and promotes traditionalism and caring.
__________________
-Tactician Specialist-
Feel free to visit my profile for Tactician builds


Somewhere in this world,
In the depth of the ocean,
A tear was shed,
By a lonely mermaid.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Martimus's Avatar
Martimus Martimus is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,284
Default

That's good, and I'm glad you guys have your religions; but the fact remains, that absolute heinous atrocities have been committed in our time as a species on this earth under the name of religion (and in their minds it was justified, because their religion told them it was so).

Your particular religious practices may be peaceful and great. That's good. But unfortunately, it's not always the case.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Chthon's Avatar
Chthon Chthon is online now
Apostle
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
I'm with you on that. Religion, in my opinion, is the most horrible destructive force ever to exist on this planet.
I would say yes, it does hold back progress. But I always look at it this way, in the worst of times we all need some form of support structure. Those of us who have always had one might need new ones in such times. Religion provides just that, it teaches you some nice stuff, adds some sense of direction and discipline to the lost souls who are too broken to think for themselves.

It's like fire for primitive men, that helps them get through the dark. In the darkest of hours we tend to cling onto something and often that something is figment of our imagination. Not saying necessarily God is imaginary but rather referring to the manner in which the entity has been portrayed. Most texts portray it as the light at the end of tunnel or a source of good. There's no "otherworldly" aspect there, it's just basic motherhood/fatherhood we see in such divine beings. Always the benevolent entity. It would be arrogant in my opinion to presume otherworldly beings do not exist, as smart as we are as species I prefer to think something has been where we are at some point but whatever that entity might hasn't been accurately represented in such books

But I digress, as I said people can actually use religion as a guide post for when they're lost problem is religion is seldom preached in such a helpful manner and is mostly practiced in a fashion similar to a cult i.e creating a dependency. The entire concept of sin and eternal hellfire is reason why many simple minded people abstain from acting like self entitled assholes. They believe in all the supernatural stuff because fear is induced to them by appealing to their predilection of all things binary to make them believe in "consequences" that await them in the event they do not believe

Apologies if my view on this topic is far too simple but I tend to not think too hard about this stuff
__________________
All my builds can be found in the Build Compendium V and on my profile page

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod

Last edited by Chthon; 10-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 PM
They Live They Live is online now
Herald
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Weird boot shaped peninsula
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martimus View Post
That's good, and I'm glad you guys have your religions; but the fact remains, that absolute heinous atrocities have been committed in our time as a species on this earth under the name of religion (and in their minds it was justified, because their religion told them it was so).





Your particular religious practices may be peaceful and great. That's good. But unfortunately, it's not always the case.


In human history atrocities were committed under every possible flag (atheism included) if this is your meter of judgment you could not take any position whatsoever being it political, spiritual or religious.
__________________
RogalYova!!!! (i'm agoraphobianosebleed on twitch)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 PM
ASYLUM101's Avatar
ASYLUM101 ASYLUM101 is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,801
Default

Can we get this thread back onto the topic of Cthulu and Lovecraft? I'm not interested about your churches or cults and I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread to argue who has the best one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2017 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.