Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Initiate

Default Some general suggestions

I've played and enjoyed Titan Quest and Immortal Throne. Based on my observations from that game, I have a few suggestions for GD.

1. Game length - About 8-10 hours per difficulty level seems reasonable and would allow people to experience the game multiple times if they wished--to try out several classes and builds.

2. Monster levels more consistent - This is mostly in regards to bosses. I think bosses should be challenging but they shouldn't be so exponentially difficult that they completely tower over monsters around the same difficulty level. Another words, if you're beating regular mobs in an area before you get to the boss, you should be reasonably able to kill that boss without excessive health potting or an inordinate number of deaths. The boss should, of course, offer a special challenge but not an insurmountable one.

3. Health pots - TQ required way too much health potting. Generally, I think a health pot should be used in an emergency. You shouldn't need to constantly drink. (You don't feel very heroic when your chain chugging pots!). I would much rather get health from a healing spell or some other mechanic like life leech.

4. Pets - I'm sure it's very hard to balance pets so that they are useful but not over powered. Pet classes though are a lot of fun and are usually popular with players. If GD does include pets, please try to find some mechanic that gives them survivability, especially in a boss fight situation. It's frustrating to play a pet class only to have your bread and butter damage or buffer (your pet) die in two hits.

That's about it from me. Other than that, I thought TQ was a terrific game. I love the detailed environments, the variety of skills, and the beautiful weapons and armor that were in the game. Best of luck with Grim Dawn. I can't wait!!
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Hi, glad to hear you enjoyed TQ!

The issues you raise are ones that we ourselves were unhappy with in TQ and we've taken measures that directly or indirectly should improve each of these.

Length

In this case the game will be shorter just but virtue of the fact that we don't have the budget or resources to make something the scope of TQ. However, we have also developed the world in a way that players have more control over the pace of their progress. With the less linear, wider levels, players have more ability to linger and clean out every corner or move ahead more quickly. So, sheer walking distance is less of a factor now and character level / player ability are more so.

Monster Levels

Due to the way the monster spawning system was designed, it could only produce enemies within a limited range and sometimes spit out enemies that were really much lower than they should have been. We have a completely new method of spawning enemies now that ensures greater consistency relative to the player but is still clamped by a min / max level for each difficulty region.

Heath Potions

You don't really use health potions much in Grim Dawn. Not only is it not necessary, it isn't possible since they're on a relatively long cool-down timer. This certainly isn't the result of the game being less challenging but rather has to do with the workings of our new health regeneration system.

I feel that the role of health potions should be to restore life in the midst of combat, potentially saving the player from immediate death or preventing them from having to retreat at a critical moment. In TQ, while players do often use health potions for this, they also must continually use them merely as a means of health upkeep from battle to battle. It is like a war of attrition where enemies are slowly and inexorably wearing you down and forcing you to take a trip back to town. Is the enemy's plan to cause your eventually financial ruin by forcing you to use health potions? If that is their plan, they obviously aren't aware of all the junk items they're dropping.

The new fast-regen that occurs when you haven't taken damage for several seconds alleviates this attrition factor. It basically fills the role of drinking a health potion when you're running between battles or are retreating. It doesn't change the gameplay dynamic much while cutting out an extra layer of bullshit that I think everyone will be happy without.

Pets

We just had a crappy leveling system for pets. It was really sort of an oversight with the original way in which pets were implemented. We tried to overcome it with a hacky fix but ultimately, it left something to be desired. The new way in which we spawn monsters has carried over to pets, making it much easier to balance them so that they do not become obsolete in higher levels / difficulties.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Praetorian

Quote:

Pets

We just had a crappy leveling system for pets. It was really sort of an oversight with the original way in which pets were implemented. We tried to overcome it with a hacky fix but ultimately, it left something to be desired. The new way in which we spawn monsters has carried over to pets, making it much easier to balance them so that they do not become obsolete in higher levels / difficulties.
This is some interesting new information!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Heath Potions
I'm not entirely sure about drinking heath potions. They might have a nasty side effect on your health...
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Lord Advocate

So they scale with level now? Or some other mechanic (other than just difficulty)?

I was personally hoping pets would be made more scalable through better itemization and stat affixes. I always thought as far as ARPG's go TQ had the best pet systems, but the one thing I didn't like was there was a lack of pet affecting items, and the stats that could be affected were limited. Not to mention, if you were playing a pet focused class it made item hunting less attractive as almost none of the sets/uniques had stats that affected pets that much other than +skills.

Maybe that's in there too
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Initiate

Medierra,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. I really enjoyed reading about Grim Dawn's features.

I was just playing Titan Quest today during a snowstorm and I was thoroughly enjoying the beautiful scenery in the Egypt act. Also, the detail on the different types of monsters was really wonderful.

I love hack and slash games. It is so terrific to see that they are making a come back.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Herald

I suspect there will be a larger focus on ARPG's and Hack'n'Slash games in the future.

Tags
exploration, health, pets, spawning