Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 AM
Champion

A little off topic, but I still wanted to ask...
Will some enemy types or bosses have destructable limbs (ie dismemberement & damage) during a fight?
Say for example that a zombie might lose its arm & still run after you...or whatever?

Sorry if this is redundant.

And destructible environment is really nice.
I hope there will be statues to deface & columns to cause to crumble down.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Which in essence is the result of having the character level affect the damage, as obviously the monster level also is related to the character level.

So if a falling arch does 50% damage to a zombie when you are level 5 and the zombie is level 4, it will do the same amount of damage at a higher difficulty level where the character is level 48 and the zombie level 41 or so.

Not having the character level affect the damage would mean that early on even very strong monsters may be killed easily while later even the wimpiest (relatively speaking) monster would be virtually immune.

Besides, this is not about reality, last I checked there are no zombies in reality either
That's exactly why at later levels either you or the monsters shouldn't be affected as much from a falling wall. I mean, it's "only" a wall opposed to much more destructive effects like a huge hydra trying to bite your head off and failing...

Do you mean a wall is as powerful as a hydra, for example?

There are many ways to make a falling wall be useful, i listed some in a previous post and i'm sure there are more!

I consider it would add a lot more to the game's value if falling objects would do more than damage and personally i wouldn't like it to scale with the difficulty or the character levels.

Just my opinion!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospheratus View Post
That's exactly why at later levels either you or the monsters shouldn't be affected as much from a falling wall. I mean, it's "only" a wall opposed to much more destructive effects like a huge hydra trying to bite your head off and failing...
Well it's not like we are playing Dragon Ball (or any other shounen-manga).
No matter how high your level a falling wall should always have an strong effect on you/monsters imo. Maybe huge stuff like Stone-Golems shouldnt be affected.

Other question: Will it be possible to completely destroy Devil's Crossing?^^
Not that I would want to do it...just a question. :P

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."

Last edited by Harlequin; 07-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Well it's not like we are playing Dragon Ball (or any other shunen-manga).
No matter how high your level a falling wall should always have an strong effect on you/monsters imo. Maybe huge stuff like Stone-Golems shouldnt be affected.

Other question: Will it be possible to completely destroy Devil's Crossing?^^
Not that I would want to do it...just a question. :P
lol what!?..

Now that i think better of it, my point has little to do with reality. It's easier to see by comparison to other dangers that are in the game.

I would make a drawing, but i'm too lazy. Just think a bit about a wall falling on top of you and compare to a huge monster trying to bite your head off. And then think what is most dangerous.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospheratus View Post
I would make a drawing, but i'm too lazy. Just think a bit about a wall falling on top of you and compare to a huge monster trying to bite your head off. And then think what is most dangerous.
I think both situations are equally deadly.^^

Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg568 View Post
Maybe something that scales better would be stun? Stun is always useful in any difficulty. But I still would prefer wicked damage from falling arches/objects.
I agree. Perhaps both mechanics, stun and damage, could be percentile-based.

TECHNOmancer
"We already know Crate has talented people as well...do we need to pretend Blizzard has a bunch of monkeys sitting around slapping keyboards to appreciate what Crate is doing with Grim Dawn?" -- Renevent

"There seems to be a distinct lack of appreciation of what it takes to create something." -- Renevent
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmck View Post
A little off topic, but I still wanted to ask...
Will some enemy types or bosses have destructable limbs (ie dismemberement & damage) during a fight?
I thought medierra addressed this previously ... didn't think there would be that many results
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
We have hit fx, criticals with camera shake, blood spatter, death fx, and ragdoll with dismemberment / gibs.
Quote:
I know what you mean by "flashy" and that is something we're very focused on this time around. I think TQ was seriously lacking in satisfying hit-fx and many of the skills could have used more visual punch. Not only are adding hit-fx and critical hit fx, but we've put in a new system for death-fx, ragdoll, and dismemberment.
Quote:
We have dismemberment on some enemies and a critical hit particle effect

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 07-27-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Champion

@off-topic: I want a huge frankenstein-like monster that you have to chop appart before you can actually kill it's weak spot.^^

Maybe a bit like Legion from the Castlevania-series ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAecLj8GWPk )

Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #69  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I can't believe this debate is actually happening... lol

We have two choices:

A) Object damage scales up so that it can roughly keep pace with the ever-increasing amounts of life that players and enemies gain as they level up and continue to play a meaningful role as a source of environmental damage.

B) Object damage doesn't scale up and early in the game it becomes a useless, obsolete feature. Not fun.

I don't even really see how this has anything to do with realistic physics. Do objects in real life inflict a set amount of hitpoints worth of damage? Do humans level up and become immune to the impact of falling rocks? If anything it seems like scaling object damage maintains a more realistic physical relationship in that humans and appropriate enemies continue to take a reasonable and expectedly serious amount of damage when struck by falling stonework as opposed to eventually suffering no more damage than if they got hit by a bag of feathers.

In the end, I think this is a fun feature and, while maintaining realism can benefit the game in many areas, this is one where I don't see how maintaining the supposed realism of hidden numbers is more fun than a balanced and functional feature.

I respect your concern and appreciate that people are thinking about the best way to implement features but in this regard, when actually playing the game, I think people are going to enjoy this feature if it is correctly balanced and I don't believe it will be ruined for anyone if some hidden numbers scale to maintain that balance and keep it fun.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Supporter

Will anything destructible be part of recipes ?

Tags
balancing, damage, destructible environments, monsters, pathing