Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exx View Post
Please please fix it soon!
It would be helpful if you posted/submitted the crash report generated by the crash reporter.

It also would be helpful if you post/submit your dxdiag report.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
It would be helpful if you posted/submitted the crash report generated by the crash reporter.

SO much this!!

Just telling the devs: "My game keeps crashing, please fix it!". DOES NOT HELP. They need pedigree information in order to research and narrow down whatever your issue may be etc.

Personally, I've not once encountered a single crash in GD. (not even in Early Access)

A suggestion I haven't seen mentioned in this thread thus far, is to do a "clean" video driver uninstall/reinstall.

Meaning, uninstall every item labeled Nvidia/AMD in your add/remove programs via control panel, reboot into safe mode (typically by pressing F8 at boot), run DDU, let it reboot for you and then install your latest graphics driver.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

I know some of you guys are pretty adept but I'd wager there are quite a few people that haven't tried this....
Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsaotomex4 View Post
If you happen to have your virtual memory maximum set too low the game will crash often.
This is also good advice.

Whatever your physical RAM size is, double your VM.

Ie, I have 16GB so my page file is set to 32GB.

I've heard some people say: "Well, I have 16-32GB of RAM, so I turn my page file off." <-- This is foolish for a number of reasons lol
Old 03-10-2018, 04:18 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post

This absolutely continues to occur, ever since the Malmouth expansion went in for me. Almost 100% occurs when trying to use a portal - I'd put it at approx. 1/1-3 hours - it's not terribly consistent but gods is it annoying when you're repopulating entire huge areas you have to slog back through after the crash. Here's a zip with the crash reports and the dxdiag - knock yourself out. I've been unable to see much that's relevant, but no one died and made me the repository of all knowledge.

If it helps it is indeed the "Black screen, sound still going" crash - I've validated my files, updated my drivers, run it with minimum other programs up, and considered sacrificing a chicken. No dice.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Grim Dawn Crash 3-09-18.zip (33.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Hraefn; 03-10-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Initiate

Sorta kinda mildly interesting if you give a fark about crashes, but I've noticed that the few crashes that are NOT portal related (the ones that occur when clicking the entrance to a sub-area invariably) are a bit different. NOT getting the ongoing sound on those, for whatever reason. Is that meaningful? Hell if I know. But it seems to go that way. Last 2 of those were the Chaos Portal out of the area you find Ulgrim in, just before Malmouth - and the entrance to the Tomb of Ugdall.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Initiate

I haven't had that many problems with Grim Dawn before (played a lot last year after AoM release), but now that I came back and tried to run the Port Valburry with my buddy I had a total 3 BSODs in mere 3-4 hours of playing. Last crash was annoying enough to make me stop playing (happened during the "raid dungeon" with no way to teleport back).

Also no issues with other games so the crashing is limited to Grim Dawn. And I didn't notice anything particular during/before the crashes (like certain skills or portals etc.) seemed to just randomly happen during combat.

Gonna try verifying files and all that and see if it keeps happening again later today. All I can think of that is different from before is that I have a new headset (Kingston Cloud Flight).
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judqment8 View Post
I haven't had that many problems with Grim Dawn before (played a lot last year after AoM release), but now that I came back and tried to run the Port Valburry with my buddy I had a total 3 BSODs in mere 3-4 hours of playing. Last crash was annoying enough to make me stop playing (happened during the "raid dungeon" with no way to teleport back).

Also no issues with other games so the crashing is limited to Grim Dawn. And I didn't notice anything particular during/before the crashes (like certain skills or portals etc.) seemed to just randomly happen during combat.

Gonna try verifying files and all that and see if it keeps happening again later today. All I can think of that is different from before is that I have a new headset (Kingston Cloud Flight).
Hmm - BSOD's are indeed pretty weird - never had anything like that, just the standard crashes. I'd first try deleting options.txt at Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\Settings\. That one seems to help with a lot of things, apparently some options just don't translate too well over time with the updates and such? Who knows? It'll auto-create a new options.txt when you next start the game, and you can reset the options to how you want them from default.

I'd next try uninstalling the headset/drivers and play a while that way, just to eliminate it as a possibility. Headset drivers causing BSOD would be a first for me, but I've seen weirder. From there I'd double-check all system's drivers/updates just to be sure, don't forget motherboard and bios updates. Those can have a major impact. No soap there, I'd maybe try running it with /d3d9 in the command line to force it to use DirectX 9 instead of 11. Some systems have oddball "I refuse to work right with DX11 in whacky specific cases" issues.

Unfortunately, none of this seems to help the standard black screen crashes but it's helped some others with weird stuff going on. Hope you can get that one sorted out, that's even more annoying than what the rest of us with crash issues deal with.

/the last possible result of course is actual bad hardware - memory, card memory, whatnot - but if the BSOD's are indeed confined to one program that seems unlikely to me at least.

Last edited by Hraefn; 03-21-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Counsel

I know it's kinda selfish to ask, but it would be nice, if there would be an option to downgrade the visuals even further.
My poor old 32-bit rig does its best, but there's a limit how far 3gb of RAM and 1gb 4700 will take you.
Heat I can handle, but when memory runs out...
Could a quicksave be a thing or an optional autosave say every half an hour?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll from behind View Post
Could a quicksave be a thing or an optional autosave say every half an hour?
the game saves almost continuously anyway, not sure what you think either of these would accomplish
Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
the game saves almost continuously anyway, not sure what you think either of these would accomplish
Well when my game crashes there's always grey loading screen after which the game runs for a moment before dying.
The problem is things between loading screen and the crash dosen't get saved resulting loss of procress albeit nothing too major.
Havin a quicksave could save me some backtracking.