Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Initiate

That was a fantastic post Medierra. I had no idea how much of the direction on TQ was influenced by the suits. I have to wonder how much better a product you might have delivered had you free reign.

I always thought that dowry quest was f*cking stupid. The quest you described sounds much cooler. Hopefully we'll see a lot of that kind of inspired, setting appropriate material in GD.

This development process, and specifically the access you've given us, continues to be fascinating.

Thanks Med,

Danglinfury
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Supporter

It's almost scary how different of a game we could have gotten if they didn't restrict you so. The way you describe it, it would've been awesome. It's not too late though.

Chained no more, by words of power
Reborn from the ashes, of its older brother;

Decisions were made, during the darkest hour
They shall feed the hungry, offer them another;

With ambitions unleashed, the curtain shall fall
Presenting to the world, a Grim Dawn!

Hope you like it! Peace!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Minister of Information

OMG medierra, your former working conditions at ILE sound awful. Who did come up with/approve the idea of making an ARPG based on ancient myth, if they didn't want to go all the way? But it's good to know that you at ILE did not worship the Olympian Gods ... what a relief. Sounds like ILE should have made something like Settlers or a economic simulation based on ancient times instead. Thank you for fighting for us.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Lord Advocate

This might have been one of the most saddening posts I've ever read.

This only shows a very strong and firm believe on part of that higher-ups, that gamers are complete idiots and utterly stupid.

I mean snowy mountain tops in greece - what's the worst thing that could have possibly happened? That someone posted in the forums that according to their believe there is no snow in Greece, only to be replied with a link to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece#Climate)?

A wonder that TQ was allowed to feature 75 class levels! I mean... gamers surely have to be much too stupid to be able to count that far. No numbers above 20 should be allowed in the game.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Counsel

Quote:
I don't think the game needed to be all low-light environments or contain sex mini-games.
Oh thank goodness. I really enjoyed being able to see the glowing wheat fields in Greece. Also, I don't know about your bosses' grandmothers but mine would've been totally adverse to the not-even-nude statues. How did those get in? :P
Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooby View Post
A wonder that TQ was allowed to feature 75 class levels! I mean... gamers surely have to be much too stupid to be able to count that far. No numbers above 20 should be allowed in the game.
Uh, whaddya mean? I don't understand. . . . *drool*

Thanks for the laugh, Hooby!

TECHNOmancer
"We already know Crate has talented people as well...do we need to pretend Blizzard has a bunch of monkeys sitting around slapping keyboards to appreciate what Crate is doing with Grim Dawn?" -- Renevent

"There seems to be a distinct lack of appreciation of what it takes to create something." -- Renevent
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Initiate

I like whatever I've seen from Arthur Bruno, so I'm going to agree with him on principle. You're just wrong. Not that I read anything in this thread beyond the title.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Champion

I am of the opinion that Titan Quest would have been a better game had Arthur Bruno been allowed to take the game in the direction he wanted in making the game a bit more dark & sinister.
After all, we are talking about "monsters", "demons", "undead", and so on.
It doesn't have to permeate every inch of the game, but it could have made the game more immersive to have had those elements sprinkled around.
There is just something instinctual about dark & scary things. A group of arachnids may seem like just a bunch of enemies to be slain the way they were represented in TQ, but the way Bruno talks (Medierra), it would have been a different (added) experience had they looked more scary & frightful. As if you really were fighting for not just your life, but your very soul.

I really hope Crate can pull that kind of element off in Grim Dawn.
It will easily make me forget about Diablo, but more importantly, it will add a layer of depth that was lacking in TQ, in my honest opinion.

Either way, it is great news to hear Arthur Bruno speak his mind, and I am 110% in agreement with him.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Counsel

I know it is due to misguided thinking, but it sure sounds like the executive decisions made for Titan Quest were such that they wanted the game to fail. It makes me wonder how much other games are, creativity wise, being held back by either closed minded or risk averse decision making.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
I know it is due to misguided thinking, but it sure sounds like the executive decisions made for Titan Quest were such that they wanted the game to fail. It makes me wonder how much other games are, creativity wise, being held back by either closed minded or risk averse decision making.
Are there really that many creative games out there that fail miserably? The game industry is not like most other industries, it's a creative one. By restricting creativity in a creative industry, you don't receive as much success. It's unfortunate that some of the business people in this industry don't see that.

Grim Dawn... sounds like an evil dish soap.
Closed Thread

Tags
quests, story, titan quest