Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
I found witching hour with my witch hunter and tried respec to a pet build. I respec'd again after trying it.
Safarel is right. That particular gun is not really a great example of the 2h problem as OP is describing it;. it was always meant to be in a hybrid pet build and not a typical weapon attack build.

That being said, don't feel bad that it didn't work as pet hybrid builds are one of the most advanced/complex builds to make correctly. I'd check out DaShivs fire pet build as he outlines fantastically what you need to focus on when making any pet build, including hybrid ones.

Although I can tell you that Witch Hunter is probably the worst class combo to make Witching Hour work. You'd probably want either Witchblade or Conjurer.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Counsel

Fix stats on 2hs (more attack speed thrown around, more stats in general, more base dmg, better conversion) and let people stack 2 components on them (OR just make components you put in them much better (like 2x as good), and nerf kraken.

Look everything is solved. Crate go!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
I think Kraken's very existence is indicative of the problem. The idea that 2H needs an entire constellation to itself just to begin being competitive should highlight the issue. Personally I don't really enjoy being forced to take it when crafting a 2H build as it limits your devotion choices inside a system that is otherwise relatively adjustable.
I couldn't agree more with this...Kraken's bonuses are wonderful, but it's a total crutch for 2H weapons.

I like the suggestion from earlier in the thread to nerf it slightly and/or change up the bonuses so it isn't always a must-take for 2H weapons, then buff 2handers across the board to compensate. Devotions are supposed to be choices but kraken makes builds more rigid rather than encouraging experimentation.
Barnacle_Ed#1801 on Discord.

Current main: C R A B C O M M A N D O
Currently leveling: Pistoleer Apostate
Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mournslayer View Post
I like the suggestion from earlier in the thread to nerf it slightly and/or change up the bonuses so it isn't always a must-take for 2H weapons, then buff 2handers across the board to compensate. Devotions are supposed to be choices but kraken makes builds more rigid rather than encouraging experimentation.
Agreed

+1 to this

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Emissary

Last patch did make 2handers stronger, but two sockets is what would put them on par with dual wields and sword and boards.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
but two sockets is what would put them on par with dual wields and sword and boards.
As someone who has been asking for two components on 2H weapons since 2014, this change alone would not bring them anywhere near DW/S&B. It'd bring them closer but not anywhere near the same level.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:13 AM
Campaigner

I'm also in support of giving two-handed weapons a nice buff. The worst that could happen is that 2 handers become the "meta" build for a few patches. Maybe components that are unique to two-handed weapons would help? The abundance of skills or items which provide flat damage synergize with dual-wielding so well that it makes two-handed weapons fall by the wayside. Two-handed skill transmuters (might of the bear) are also a bit meh, so if the devs are reluctant to allow two-handed weapons to be equipped with 2 components, perhaps this is a possible buff avenue.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:23 AM
Speaker

I agree that 2h's are in need of a buff. I'd like to mention though that this issue seems to be one shared by many ARPG's. Not sure why as I was never a numbers guy, but I've played my share of PoE and D3 and as I recall both of them had many threads about the lackluster performance of 2h weapons in comparison to S/B or DW users.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:38 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzel View Post
Safarel is right. That particular gun is not really a great example of the 2h problem as OP is describing it;. it was always meant to be in a hybrid pet build and not a typical weapon attack build.

That being said, don't feel bad that it didn't work as pet hybrid builds are one of the most advanced/complex builds to make correctly. I'd check out DaShivs fire pet build as he outlines fantastically what you need to focus on when making any pet build, including hybrid ones.

Although I can tell you that Witch Hunter is probably the worst class combo to make Witching Hour work. You'd probably want either Witchblade or Conjurer.
Well, okay. I've been looking over DaShiv's post, read about 60% of the text there by this point, influenced a lot of choices in making that build. Class probably was the problem, it definitely didn't seem like the optimal class for the gun, since my main problem was really slow kill times.

Aside from kill times though, threat management seems absurdly difficult in this game, so a 32 NB/50 Occ that I was, I had no defensive options whatsoever trying to use a 2H weapon, low offense AND low defense, which is why I think it's a problem relevant to this thread. After 3 full respecs I've settled on a vit dmg phantasmal blades shield build.

Last edited by vantheman; 08-03-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:10 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzblaster View Post
I'm also in support of giving two-handed weapons a nice buff. The worst that could happen is that 2 handers become the "meta" build for a few patches.
Ultos builds were top tier back then in 1.0.0.3-1.0.0.4 but Savagery fix put an end to it, oh boy was so fun to play. :'<

i wish GD could be more "berserk-like" with 2 handers.

Spoiler!

Tags
2handed, buff, builds, dual wield, hardcore