Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

View Poll Results: So what would you do?
L2P Noob - Play HC and not die! 8 33.33%
Keep on Pushing - Play Hardcore expect to die again, leveling to 60 again isn't too bad.. 6 25.00%
You're not good enough - Just switch to SC with the rest of them. 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 02:54 AM
Initiate

Default 4 HC Deaths below level 50 would you switch to SC?

So I've died four times, as the thread title says, and I'm going for character five. This is the first time I've played this game, learning from one character death to another, but I must say, getting from level 1 to 32 and having to start over is a little disheartening. Am I a softy, baddy, or is this a normal feeling?

If you have died 4 times in HC, but have learned lessons along the way that will assure you get past the area you died last, would you carry on the HC way or switch to SC for the experience of full game play-through? Just a community Poll...
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 AM
Praetorian

I definitely would play SC, but ultimately you need to decide how important staying HC is to you
Old 09-11-2016, 03:34 AM
Advocate

Even if your long term interests are hardcore you should play through the whole game softcore first. You don't want to meet the sentinel or mad queen or Alkamos or any of the nemeses for the very first time with a character who is going to permadie.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 AM
Initiate

Talking

Quote:
I definitely would play SC, but ultimately you need to decide how important staying HC is to you
Thank you. The reason I've been replaying HC so much, is I'm stubbornly competitive, even against myself. But I think I am going to try SC Veteran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurzak View Post
Even if your long term interests are hardcore you should play through the whole game softcore first. You don't want to meet the sentinel or mad queen or Alkamos or any of the nemeses for the very first time with a character who is going to permadie.
This gives me a little motivation to actually get to know the game. Otherwise, there's probably going to be a time I just quit, because I put too much time in and just permadie. ^_^

Thank you two for the clarity. Thank Game Gods for the idea of forums.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Campaigner

It isn't only the difficulty of playing without knowing anything about what you are going to fight, but you also seriously lack significant build knowledge, and knowledge about critical game difficulty points, let alone the monstrosity of early elite's poison spam of doom for almost all of act 1. Remember all of those worthless bugs you could literally ignore at the start of the game, as they did literally less damage than your base hp regen? They can 1 shot you in elite. Legitimately 1 shot you. Poison is a big threat in act 1 for an unprepared character, because many (noob) builds will be supporting negative poison resistance due to not thinking it's worth anything. They won't have realized that Resistances are a core part of a character build that you need to put effort into.

1 shot.

1 shot.

1 shot.

1 shot.

1 shot.

Ragequit.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Campaigner

I would never play any game that had permadeath in it period, but playing this game in particular with permadeath seems like a fist through a monitor waiting to happen. There's just so many places where you can get ambushed by a wandering pack of assholes while trying to kill a boss, or a lovely "3 heroes next to the boss" pack, or simply a random lag spike or glitch that gets you destroyed all the same.

Ultimately it comes down to the question "what's fun for you?" Is it enjoyable to have to start over every time you get killed? Does losing all that spent time (or the threat of it) distill some extra pleasure out of the game for you? Because if the answer is no, you should swap over to SC without a second thought and never look back.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Supporter

I would say stick with HC. I say this because I have lost high lvl characters to stupid crap like standing on poisoned floors etc... However, I think the reward of finally beating the game on HC for the first would seem kind of pointless if I'd already beaten it on SC.

I quit quite a while ago and have only just returned. Looking forward to having another crack at beating HC.

BTW: I am also starting totally anew as I have just changed PC's and didn't bother to transfer my save games yet, nor will I.

Stick with HC, they reward of beating the game will feel that much sweeter.

Highest HC RIP
Armathus VI - 83 Witchblade (on old comp)
Armathus - 74 Warder
Ortura - 32 Blademaster
Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Praetorian

I would never recommend starting out in HC for Grim Dawn. Too many enemy patterns/skills to learn.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortelus View Post
I would say stick with HC. I say this because I have lost high lvl characters to stupid crap like standing on poisoned floors etc... However, I think the reward of finally beating the game on HC for the first would seem kind of pointless if I'd already beaten it on SC.

I quit quite a while ago and have only just returned. Looking forward to having another crack at beating HC.

BTW: I am also starting totally anew as I have just changed PC's and didn't bother to transfer my save games yet, nor will I.

Stick with HC, they reward of beating the game will feel that much sweeter.
Your sentiment speaks to my personality. But I do not have the time that I would have to put, and or make up from dying at high levels of play I would like to achieve if I play HC first. That has been made clear to me. Yeah the Normal Veteran I may be able to achieve shortly, but what happens when I go elite and EVERYTHING changes even in Act 1. That would be so much time to risk.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigdogg View Post
Your sentiment speaks to my personality. But I do not have the time that I would have to put, and or make up from dying at high levels of play I would like to achieve if I play HC first. That has been made clear to me. Yeah the Normal Veteran I may be able to achieve shortly, but what happens when I go elite and EVERYTHING changes even in Act 1. That would be so much time to risk.
I have died once since leaving Veteran difficulty and that was my lvl 83 trying to attack Modgroden (think it is spelt right). You don't even need to kill this guy.

All my deaths came in Vet. If you can survive Vet HC going into elite is not all that different TBH, until much later which by then you'll be getting Legendries dropping. Just make sure you are keeping a good level of resists. For me Aether is always the hardest to get.

Highest HC RIP
Armathus VI - 83 Witchblade (on old comp)
Armathus - 74 Warder
Ortura - 32 Blademaster
Closed Thread

Tags
dying, first impression, first run, hardcore, veteran