Old 12-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Initiate

Default Dual melee vampire

Not sure anybody reads the forum still, but want to give it a try anyway. I started to play with Nightblade, but figured out it can have a lot of problems with survival on the late stages of game, so I decided to try create a vampire with dual weapon. So I have few questions about it:
1) The best variant as a second class seems Necromancer, would it really work?
2) Would Reaping strike work with all bonuses from Dual weapon line or anything would be broken?

Thanks all, hoping to hear some opinions

Last edited by Sorn; 12-16-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Herald

Forum is very active i don't know why you have the impression nobody reads it
Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Initiate

Yea, sorry, was looking on the wrong dates and they all seemed from few months ago. My bad
Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Campaigner

No classes will have problem suriving late game if you build them properly, nightblade is not an exception. If you want something well-rounded check out Chthon's pierce shield build, for DW there are tons of viable builds, just seethe build compendium.
To answer your question, yes a DW Reaper would work well, but the only variant I know of atm is an acid Deathguard one, he's more like a caster with two daggers than a real DW fighter
Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn View Post
1) The best variant as a second class seems Necromancer, would it really work?
2) Would Reaping strike work with all bonuses from Dual weapon line or anything would be broken?
1) FALSE. Reaper (Necro + Nightblade) is not a popular class and for good reasons. If you just started out it's highly probable that: a) you don't have blueprints, high-end gear and materials stacked in your shared stash in order to provide smooth leveling; and b) you haven't yet memorised all zones, damage types and bosses in order to gear accordingly. Due to these reasons, it is also highly probable that you will die a lot with a Reaper and that is not "cool" however you look at it.

If ADctH is your main defensive strategy, you have to know that Reaper is not the best way to go about it. The synergy is poor in terms of Resistance Reduction and damage types. Now, don't get this the wrong way - a good Reaper can clear all content, including Gladiator Crucible solo with extra spawns, but I so no reasonable way in which you can pull this of in record time. From the top of my head I can tell you at least four classes that would outperform a dw Reaper in terms of both damage and survivability. Here they are (not necessarily in order of performance):
1) Blademaster (pierce);
2) Witch Hunter (cold/acid);
3) Spellbreaker (cold/pierce);
4) Tactician (pierce).

2) Reaping strike scales with just one weapon, so it doesn't matter if you DW or not, unlike the Nightblade's WPS. Due to this fact, it scales better with 2h, than 1h and there are few situations where heavy investment in the skill is justified for a dw or S&B character (e.g. Death Knight). As a corollary, if you think Reaper is good because you have Harbinger of Souls, I suggest you reexamine the data. Whether you have 20% ADctH and do 100k dps or you have 10% ADctH and you do 200k, it is basically the same thing. In fact, I would take the second option any time (especially in the Crucible).

Last edited by Avatar of Dreeg; 12-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Initiate

Eh, it's sad, but alright, does not seem like a suitable class for a newbie. In fact, I want to create something like Warfare from Titan quest, so shields in not my option, but thanks for detailed answer anyway.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn View Post
Eh, it's sad, but alright, does not seem like a suitable class for a newbie.
Go ahead if you really want to make a Reaper, man... but choosing classes in Grim Dawn should mean more than just picking a catchy name.

If I were a new player, I would go for Witch Hunter (superb synergy, nice OA boost, resistance to poison and physical damage) or Spellbreaker (again, superb synergy, bla, bla). They provide you that fun, high speed play you want, but are also much easier to gear and level compared to a Reaper. DoT WH, for example, is probably the safest way to farm some nemeses if you just started.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Speaker

i played a dual wield reaper for my first AoM character and it was a lot of fun.

played self found and through all 3 difficulties.

I did a lot of things which are not considered optimum such as taking harbinger of souls, maining vitality and vitality decay damage, using blade spirit as it synergised with damage type for insta-trash-doom will the right devotion.

The result was a fun game which probably wouldn't manage gladiator crucible but it's not all about creating the best build (plus i'm sure someone who knows more could've taken my build further). Sometimes it's more fun to have a cool playstyle (186% Adcth with buffs on lol) which you have fun with. Erm yeah i died quite a bit though and had to kite some bosses.

Short answer- just do it!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreeg View Post
Go ahead if you really want to make a Reaper, man... but choosing classes in Grim Dawn should mean more than just picking a catchy name.
I did not get that you meant by catchy name, but whatever. As I mentioned before I just wanted to find something like Warfare mastery from Titan Quest. I guess it will be Spellbreaker for me. As far as bonuses from Dual weapon don't combine with Necromant skills, Reaper does not seem that fun.

Aaaand I have another questions now, Avatar of Dreeg . Why do you advise cold for Spellbreaker? I guess you mean Star Pact as well, why not Reckless Power? As far as I see they are quite the same, but aether damage can be more useful, no?

Last edited by Sorn; 12-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.