Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Initiate

Default [Melee][v1.0](u)(v)(g4) Cool Breeze (heurist) - Witch Hunter Build

I've been enjoying this build after I acquired the full Deathmarked set. There seems to be a number of acid/poison/vitality/chaos builds submitted for witch hunters, but I've only seen cold/pierce builds for spellbreakers and blademasters. I've killed the Iron Maiden and Fabius on ultimate with this build.

I prefer the visceral, close range melee over the DOT and retreat tactics of applying poison.

Videos:
Mad Queen: https://youtu.be/HBk9Oq_qBTU (Swapped in Belgothian's Sigil and Lifegiver Signet)
Valdaran: https://youtu.be/t_2J-nLNWfw (Swapped in Avenger of Cairn and Mark of Fierce Resolve)
Iron Maiden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HwIrOYv5Fo
Fabius: https://youtu.be/6kIDV3811Eo

[Melee][v1.0](u)(v)(g4) Cool Breeze (heurist)
Damage: cold/pierce
Active Skills: shadow strike, oleron's might, ring of steel, blade burst, curse of frailty
Passive Skills: solael's witchfire, veil of shadow
WPS Skills: dual blades line, beronath's fury

Basic Skills and Devotions (no gear): http://www.grimcalc.com/build/HQ2KaIh
From the occultist skills, we use Soleal's for attack speed and the passive, which I bound to Giant's Blood. Blood of Dreeg helps with healing, but also opens the door for Aspect of the Guardian. AoG provides a nice physical resist and much needed poison resist, which is lacking on our gear. Curse of frailty and vulnerability provide a nice debuff.

From the nightblade skills, we focus on shadow strike. Max out night fall for extra damage and Nidalla's justifiable ends to reduce the skill recharge. Max out dual blades but only put one or two points in each of the follow-on skills. The chance to be used on these skills caps at 20%. Your return on points investment diminishes after that. Also, avoid Nidalla's hidden hand. It will convert your damage from pierce to acid. After that, we are mostly spreading points around to get free points from gear. That is, we can get 5+ points in a skill by spending just one. Extra points can go into night's chill which I found was important to kill Fabius. And shadow dance provides excellent avoidance which is nice when you are typically running around with less than 10K health.

On the devotion front, the primary goal is Leviathan. Bind whirlpool to Blade Spirit. This allows multiple whirpools. To get there we use Bull and bind bull rush to shadow strike; and falcon for falcon swoop which is bound to ring of steel; and Beranaths Fury to Elemental Storm in Rhowan's Crown. For healing we get Behemoth and Chariot of the Dead.

Gear (balanced after feedback)
Head: Deathmarked Hood (w/Prismatic Diamond)
Chest: Deathmarked Jacket (w/Chains of Oleron)
Shoulders: Deathmarked Shoulderguard (w/Mutate Scales)
Weapon Left: Deathmarked Decapitator (w/Oleron's Blood)
Weapon Right: Deathmarked Claw (w/Shard of Beronath)
Amulet: Avatar of Mercy (w/Arcane Spark)
Ring1: Amarastan Sigil (w/Ectoplasm)
Ring2: Empowered Aetherlord's Signet (w/Ectoplasm)
Hands: Iceskorn Talons (w/Unholy Inscription)
Pants: Pretty Great Pants (w/Silk Swatch)
Feet: Stormtitan Treads (w/Mark of Modrogen)
Belt: Spellbreaker Waistguard (w/Antivenom Salve)
Medal: Black Star of Deceit (w/Arcane Spark)
Sigil: Belgothian's Carnage

Alternate Gear
Iron Maiden: Swap in any of the following- one or two Lifegiver Signet (boost health and healing), one or two Oblitorix (boost health and resist life leech), Empowered Crimson Heart (reduce bleed time), Tinker's Ingenuity (bleed resist), Obsidian Grasp (for fire resist), Mark of Fierce Resolve (if the stuns are a problem)
Fabius: Swap in any of the following- Wraithwalkers and Undying Oath.
Other Interesting Pieces: Black Star of Deceit (for chaos resist), Avenger of Cairn (for aether resist), Empowered Essense of Beronath + Citadel (high damage reflect), Scourge (for scourge strike)

Damage
With reasonable gear shadow strike will do 54-58K of damage. Use it to rush a pack of mobs, then unleash the ring of steel and blade burst. Anything left standing probably has a star on its head, use a 33-42K Oleron's Might to knock it off. Or if you don't have Belgothian's Carnage use the Scourge sigil (scourge strike hits for 37-50K).

Pros
Engaging play as you disappear, swoop across the battlefield at 500% movement speed, and reappear in your enemy's face.
High DPS on base weapon attack (~19K)

Cons
Low health pool.
Low on aether resist (without gear change).

--Thanks Heurist

Last edited by heurist; 09-08-2016 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added Mad Queen Vid and skill trees
Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Supporter

Looks great, and if you can kill Fabius and Iron Maiden with little trouble then it is definitely good. However, a few things do stick out. I figured you took Occultist as a second mastery mainly to pick up Curse + Vulnerability, but you didn't touch it. Vulnerability provides -36% cold res, so you really need it in a build like this. You also have no source of -flat resist. You should pick up Acid Spray or Elemental Storm in the devotion tree or replace your medal with a Black Star of Deceit. Picking up Assassin's Blade for the -% pierce isn't a bad idea either.

When you post a few more times, can you put up a screenshot of your character sheet and a video of Fabius/BoC so we can see how well the build functions?

Oh, and I just noticed you don't have a Shard of Beronath in your weapon. You probably need that more than anything else I've mentioned.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Initiate

Thanks for the feedback FireBird109. With you suggestions I was able to get a bit more balance in my resists.

For skills I picked up curse of frailty and vulnerability. With devotions I replaced Ghoul with Rhowan's Crown to get elemental storm. http://www.grimcalc.com/build/HQ2KaIh

I also replaced coldstone with a shard of Beronath in my offhand weapon as suggested.

Here is a video downing Iron Maiden with all the changes. Additionally, I used two lifegiver signets for health and an avatar of mercy for stun resist in this fight (drops DPS ~5K). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HwIrOYv5Fo

Last edited by heurist; 09-02-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Supporter

Killed Iron Maiden pretty quickly, so that's great. Keep in mind the listed DPS does not reflect how much damage your character actually does. You still aren't using the skill that the Shard of Beronath gives you though. It's an autoattack replacer called Beronath's Fury.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Initiate

Good call on Beronath's Fury... I didn't know how the 'charges' worked. I added it as the primary weapon action.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Initiate

Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Speaker

heurist, I really like this concept. It reminds me of a Frost Death Knight from WoW. How are your attributes distributed?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heurist View Post
I prefer the visceral, close range melee over the DOT and retreat tactics of applying poison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTl...ature=youtu.be DoT and retreat

I've always wanted to try a more cold focused WH though my plan was to use pure cold weapons, kinda sick of being forced to end up with a lot of pierce damage A few suggestions for ya! I would definitely replace mark of dark dreams with Black Star seems a lot better to me, as I recall the damage on the dream proc is pretty whatever a the very least it'd be a lot better for 1v1 fights vs the big bads. I would swap out a Belgo sigil for an Amastran sigil too your build would do a lot better with more OA! Then you could plop chains and your chest piece too. An arcane spark on your medal would help a lot with energy too so you could drop an ecto or even 2 off your rings if you don't mind using energy pots.

Overall though gj and nice to see something different Think with some tweakings could be pretty good

Also random side note that you can 1 point blade spirit and bind it to whirlpool, can get a lot of whirlpools up this way. Definitely a hassle to cast it a lot if you prefer builds w/o lots of active skills

Last edited by TomoDaK; 09-02-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Praetorian

I'm lazy to post my build, but I hope devs are aware that there are successful cold melee spellbreakers out there not using the Deathmarked set.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilzlegend View Post
heurist, I really like this concept. It reminds me of a Frost Death Knight from WoW. How are your attributes distributed?
P55/C14/S15- If that is a good distribution then I got lucky. I kept putting points in physique because I wanted to wear heavy armor.

And I get the DK reference. Raided with one in WotLK.

Tags
build, cold, pierce, shadow strike, witch hunter