Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanQuester View Post
Thanks a lot for your helpful answer.

As I use a necro (and try to max the skeletton's flat damage), I guess the added flat damage does then also NOT apply to the archers and mages, right? (because they use projectiles)
That's a bit disappointing...
The Archers use weapons similar to two-handed crossbows, so flat damage does apply to them, as guns / crossbows count for weapon damage. You are correct that the Mages do not benefit from flat damage.

Added casting order to the OP for people who like more visual cues.

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 12-11-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Counsel

I added a no-MI set-up fully updated for version 1.0.4.0 and made a full write-up in the second post. As we are fully concentrating on fire/chaos, the DPS of the no MI build exceeds that of our original concept, but it does not contain the Touch of Purity for healing and has 500 less armor than the OP. If I had to choose between builds, I'd pick the much more defensive OP, but many people prefer the "best defense is a good offense" and has the extra benefit of not requiring any greens to fill out. Which one you choose is at your full discretion, but it's nice to have both versions of the build for both types of players.

I haven't updated the original build outside of upgrading Touch of Purity to its Mythical form now that it has the heal + DoT cure as well. I will need time to figure out the best direction for this particular build.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Counsel

I gave the no-MI setup a try to see if the focus on Fire/Chaos damage and devotion set-up would play any differently from the original version. I didn't like it, at all. It felt and played clunky and even with 3,000 DA I felt I was always on the verge of dying. It made me appreciate how much I enjoy having Touch of Purity's immunity to DoTs because the lack of Health Regeneration and piling of DoTs made it impossible for me to really concentrate my Seal placement and debuff management to have the Swarmlings optimize their damage output.

With the non-MI build's pronounced squishiness, the devotion set-up didn't get a fair shake. I'm not sure how much I like the Bysmiel Hound spawning closer to the enemy, it's hard for me to notice when the thing spawns in the first place, but at least it's another body to direct attention away from a big boss. This sort of pet build only plays well when you're confident you can fire a seal on the ground, apply your debuffs consistently, and let your pets feast on the seal. You can't create a good offense if you're constantly kiting fearing that you'll be killed, so any gear / devotion set-up from here on in will ensure it has that level of comfort before focusing on increasing pet DPS.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Counsel

A preliminary version 2.0 is up, I will edit the other posts as I have the time to do them. Main focus is that Dying God is replaced with Assassin's Blade, Manticore, and Solael's Witchblade, and skill points were rearranged to maximize flat damage and RR. Spreadsheet damage looks to be the same between versions, while QoL is affected due to relying on multiple RR procs, you don't have to put up with the Health Drain anymore, which sounds like a winner to me.

The OPs should be fully updated to reflect version 2.0. Let me know if there's any relics from the old version that I overlooked while editing the posts.
NOTE: All builds that I post are directly created with GDStash (all valid prefix/suffix combos) for the purpose of testing and demonstrating what is possible. I used to have a legit character used for trading before the expansion, but I have not used him since the expansion.

PM me if you'd like any questions regarding pet builds or would like me to critique your Summoners. Also, view my profile to see my list of current pet builds and those I plan to post in the future.

Last edited by thepowerofmediocrity; 02-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Acolyte

Default Veteranarian Build

I've taken a somewhat different approach with this build, though have stuck with the same class skills (but have maxed Inquisitor Seal and left Occultist Mastery at 32 - not sure whether Manipulation is worth all the points needed for it, but I'm probably just being dumb and will get it later). I've not put the skills into the grim tools below because we all know what they are by now - I want to highlight was is different, not carry on about what we already know works.

Grimtools (level 72): https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyo6502

I've only unlocked 51 devotion points by not playing through the expansion content on my way through to Ultimate (at Arkovian Undercity right now). So the points in Scales and Targo the Builder (which essentially buff player health by 250 base + 10%) are not available to me right now, but everything else is. The highlights are taking Dying God and Tree of Life, which means there aren't enough points for Bysmiel's Bonds due to the 6 Eldrich it needs. It is possible to get Bysmiel's Bonds and enough points to unlock Tree of Life, but you only have 3 left so you can't get Healing Rain. It seems better to put those points into more effective constellations rather than just to get 7 Order and 20 Primordial. Since I'd made a choice to play this character as a Veteranarian, Bysmiel lost out. I guess it's possible to leave off a point in Dying God to get Healing Rain and Bysmiel, but so be it.

I tried the Unholy Covenant set, and outside about 50% damage to pets (which is actually only a 10% overall increase), about 8% OA and 5% AS the stats for both player and pets were strictly worse than what is on that link (the pets have terrible resists and DA, and the toon starts to look fragile with these same problems and about 1k less health). I had an Empowered Crown of Command which I have permanently switched out for the Visage as on the Grim Tools link, as a choice that is better for the player but worse for the pets, with the view that a dead mage does no DPS. In game I'm around 11.5k health at level 72 without using any augments, and I expect this health to ramp as the toon gains experience and better equipment becomes available.

I only have the Mythical version of Touch of Purity, so for now I've gone with Black Scourge for its little dudes. Because the toon kills quite a lot of enemies with AoE and judicious use of Pet Attack, the Deathgrips also provide a number of very fast-moving temporary pets. I've just got access to Primal Instinct, and the results are very favourable compared with Savage which I had before.

I did not play this character with any other strategy from the word go, by the way. I always played this as a combat medic, dealing damage and healing pets. At Level 40 I equipped the full Apothecary set and have always had Combat Medic's Mark at other times (which created an extremely favourable impression on me when I played a necromancer pet build just after the expansion was released). Chillsurge Ring has also always been part of the build for its Freeze effect, and when coupled with Devil's Cage Hauberk and Rune of Hagarrad does quite a number on large packs in terms of limiting their DPS and DA.

The character has died 3 times so far - once in each difficulty. The death in Veteran was actually me testing how much punishment the toon could take in a large melee not long after unlocking Inquisitor Seal (served me right). In Elite I lost sight of what ground effects I was standing in with Loghorrean at 5% of its health, and in Ultimate got killed by Cronley when I was distracted by my kids. In other words, completely avoidable deaths that came down to a lack of concentration rather than a bad build.

The kill speed certainly isn't bad, and you just facetank everything. I expected trouble from that Pit Fighter guy in Four Hills, but he couldn't even deal damage to whatever he was attacking. With health regeneration near 700 per second with Blood of Dreeg up and standing on Inquisitor Seal, the only thing you really fear is a set of simultaneous big hits (but you have Word of Renewal, Meat Wall, Healing Rain, Field Medicine and a good ol' red potion to help recover). Obviously, in such conditions you barely notice that Dying God is active, but the enemies sure do.

The build is weak to Pierce, Poison and Aether as it stands (I've shown it without components on purpose to highlight this), so you need to pick your gear to match your fights. My death to Cronley was largely down to not switching gear for more Aether resist - and ditto Loghorrean for Chaos - but when the toon speed clears entire levels of mobs using the same damage type without danger I tend to forget about that until the fight has actually started.

The build is very solid so far for the vanilla content, and I'm looking forward to the challenge that the expansion will provide on Ultimate. I may have done speed clears to here, but my plan is always to full clear all quests on Ultimate.

Last edited by LordThundyr; 03-26-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
With health regeneration near 700 per second with Blood of Dreeg up and standing on Inquisitor Seal, the only thing you really fear is a set of simultaneous big hits (but you have Word of Renewal, Meat Wall, Healing Rain, Field Medicine and a good ol' red potion to help recover). Obviously, in such conditions you barely notice that Dying God is active, but the enemies sure do.
Quick update. Reached level 84 so I can now equip Mythical Touch of Purity. Health per second is 451 with only the permanent skills active. Blood of Dreeg + Inquisitor Seal takes that to 991. In other words, all it takes is a quick disengage from the thick of the fighting to rapidly heal damage - most recently Alkamos (Ultimate) couldn't sustain enough damage against this and the pets took him down without much trouble.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Acolyte

Default Attrition is the name of the game

Updated at level 86: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrrM83Z

Some of the gear has changed to deal with resistance issues, which didn't really affect much in terms of kill speed but did stop the massive fluctuations of the health ball in a big fight. This allows the toon to continue to facetank the content - currently in Ugdenbog on Ultimate.

Out of interest I wandered into Ancient Grove (at level 85). The toon died quite unexpectedly in the first encounter. So I went back, paying more attention this time, and immediately discovered that the problem was that the mob levels were 97 and up. I played a bit more carefully from there, being careful not to draw too many enemies at a time and making sure to keep the pets attacking a single target, especially the manticores. Quite to my surprise I found the area fairly easy, as long as I made sure I wasn't too heavily surrounded (and if I did I quickly withdrew and regrouped). I went into the "rogue-like" with confidence, and eventually reached Gargabol, but died to his second stage. I guess unfamiliarity with his abilities was at fault here, having never faced him before.

Still, I think it's an achievement to get through to the end of the dungeon with a toon 14 levels below the bosses and wearing gear that averages at level 73. Found some nice gear along the way, and can see myself doing this again - will try get better screenshots.

Screenshot: 86 vs 100

Last edited by LordThundyr; 04-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Acolyte

Default Gargabol down

In the end it took a few attempts because some packs in the Tainted Grove are a bit big to facetank without a withdraw/regroup. I also switched my armour for Devil's Cage Hauberk to properly overcap my fire resistance, and put on a Screams of Aether to tackle the secret area (still wearing it in the screenshots below). I finally brought Ultimate Gargabol down at level 89 (which was the 3rd time I'd fought him). Average item level was 71 - no items augmented.

Hopefully I'll find the right gear at higher levels to keep the healing up and get back some of the lost kill speed - Eldritch packs take a lot of patience to clear, for eg. In some ways this is like a Retaliation Warder - not a great many things to fear, but a bit of a slog against certain enemies. This may be partially due to having two passive fear area effects, but they do keep the heat down. Chillsurge Ring still a great ring, with the freeze effect also spamming -40% Fire RR to go with the fire damage from the pets. Looking forward to the Mythical @94.

Screenshot: Gargabol down

Normal gear

Healing 998 per second at level 89 (Blood of Dreeg and Inquisitor Seal up - better gear on the horizon)

I'll stop hijaaking this thread now and make my own at level 100.

Tags
deceiver, pets, summoner