Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

View Poll Results: Healing Pets... Awesome or Horrible?
This is the worst idea I've ever heard 3 4.62%
I think the coolness outweighs the potential concern 50 76.92%
Meh... 12 18.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Healing Pets

Ah, the age-old design debate between doing what might be cool and avoiding what might be frustrating.

I set up the occultist's summoned raven familiar with a healing spell that it is set to cast on allies whenever they are below 75% health. It generally feels pretty cool to have a pet that is healing you and have some reliance on it. It is especially awesome when you're getting hammered by enemies and your pet is there chain healing you, keeping you alive.

Unfortunately, as we all know, AI is not totally reliable. Of course, the case could be made that human allies aren't either but when they let you down, you tend to get mad them and not the game, which is okay with me. However, as cool as I find this dynamic to be when it works, I am worried that it has potentially to induce massive rage at the game. Imagine you're playing hardcore and you die because your raven randomly decides to wander off and attack something at the edge of the screen.

Of course, the counter-argument could be that no one playing hardcore should be silly enough to rely on AI healing to keep them alive but, I think we all know, people will anyway and then get upset when it fails.

This is one of those cases where I think I know what needs to be done but I thought I'd see how you guys felt.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Supporter

I personally like the idea, but like you said, shouldn't be too heavily relied on as AI in games can be unpredictable sometimes. Like you said, if I were to die because my pet didn't heal me in time, then I'd get mad at it, not the game, as I could have easily just used a potion or something.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Lord Advocate

Hard to tell if all we go by is having a pet

From that info though, I'm against it. Fluctuating sources of damage are acceptable, but healing is something you don't want to take chances with when you're at low health. Since it's an unreliable source of healing, it cannot be depended upon. As you said, you shouldn't rely on it if you go hardcore - and even though I'm not sure if I'll play hardcore mode, I definitely want to go through the game dying as little as possible, just because of the challenge. Oh well, my 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Lord Advocate

I like the idea. I don't consider a healing pet something that is really supposed to keep you alive or depend on in an emergency anyways. Rather, I would say it's purpose would to keep the player healed enough to keep normal combat moving forward and not having to stop much to heal up. If you had other pets it would help keep those pets alive as well taking away some of that micromanagement from the player.

Last edited by Renevent; 07-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Minister of Information

If you implement Support Stance and I set the Raven to support me, then I would expect my pet to heal me as first priority. Then again, who wants to rely on healing in the nick of time. Edit: Just re-read the OP. Forget the previous sentence. Thought healing is triggered once you lost 75% health ... being below 75% is certainly not in the nick of time. </edit> Maybe the Raven is dead by then or doesn't have sufficient energy to cast his healing spell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I made a rule for myself [...], that if my health was below 70% I needed to drink a health potion because in Nightmare and Hell difficulty you can easily loose half or more health from a single hit in certain situations.
Otherwise I concur with Renevent.

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 07-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Speaker

I like the idea, but could you make it an option to let you choose if you want your pet on attack stance or healing stance or a mix of both?

I only ask because i dont really care much about dying every now and then, but i will be worried if it will make the game 'too easy'. i dont just want to be playing and thinking at the same time 'oww nvm, my pet will heal me if i get into trouble'. i would still like some challenge.

Anyways, idea is good, it's just a difficult line to draw about how far you can acutally rely on your pet for healing you.

so i voted 'meh' ---> it's not a bad idea at all, but also the coolness might actually affect difficulty to much, so MEHHHHH for now, we'll see ^^. You're developping the game, go with the flow Med. ^^

Last edited by carnage665; 07-11-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Acolyte

Why not add a pet bar that allows you to switch the focus of the pet between aggressive, passive, support, etc.

Aggressive mode: Pet will attack all nearby creatures within it's range.

Passive mode: Pet will attack only after the player attacks.

Support mode: Pet will not attack and will only use support skills.

Etc.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Herald

Maybe it would help to make the heal more of a passive, slowly recovering between fights thing. Something that would save you a few potions rather than save your life.

Personally I have nothing against a bit of luck and dice rolls. I like playing with the notion that I have to be prepared for several outcomes.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Praetorian

I love the idea, I support it.

Like others have said, implement some sort of stance system or the old pet system from TQIT and just have it so in defense mode, it doesn't run off but merely stays by your side casting spells.

Another thing that could work is - removing the pets ability to auto attack, give it a tiny tiny leash, and have it merely use it's spells.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Initiate

I like the idea. No skill is going to be there 100% of the time, even when it's one of your skills. Maybe just give the raven a short leash and / or weight the tree to value staying close over chasing enemies.
Closed Thread

Tags
artificial intelligence, health, masteries, pets