Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Emissary

I hate hate hate potions having a cooldown, I've died many times in TQ because I couldnt pot and got hit again. I hope any cooldown is removed for GD.

Pots stack to 99 in GD.

Oh did I mention I hate potions having a cooldown.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #42  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBoy View Post
I pretty much agree with Renevent's points.

This wouldn't be a problem if they stacked infinitely, which by the way you could do with TQ Defiler (Thank god for Soul).

I personally think the cooldown is perfect. If it didn't have one, then you would never die. And 30-60 seconds seems an adequate time frame.
Currently potions stack up to 99
They will definitely have a cool-down timer. Not quite sure how long it will be yet.

I'm trying to balance the game a little better for melee characters this time around so that they don't need to constantly chug potions.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #43  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
I hate hate hate potions having a cooldown, I've died many times in TQ because I couldnt pot and got hit again. I hope any cooldown is removed for GD.

Pots stack to 99 in GD.

Oh did I mention I hate potions having a cooldown.
Sorry man

I think it will be better for you though because part of the problem in TQ is that pots have a cooldown but the many class builds require overly frequent potion consumption due to balancing issues.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Sorry man

I think it will be better for you though because part of the problem in TQ is that pots have a cooldown but the many class builds require overly frequent potion consumption due to balancing issues.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *looks for another game*

My archers/mage chars died way more from that than any melee char ever did.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Supporter

[QUOTE=
My archers/mage chars died way more from that than any melee char ever did.[/QUOTE]

Bah mages are glass cannon, can dish it out but never take it. And as for Archers serves em right always poken things with a stick.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Lord Advocate

As Kallus and The_Rani have already touched in this topic, but nobody really responded there;

Why not give drinking potions an animation?
This could gap the bridge between out-of-combat generation and in-combat generation. You can't drink potions if you're being swarmed, because
1. you can't fight back, meaning monsters stay at same strength
2. you'd be pummeled to death

What you can do is quickly run away, drink a potion, than resume battle. Or, if there's only stragglers left, keep drinking potions and the lone monster won't be able to get your health bar lower. I don't see anything wrong with those options though.

This could be coupled with cooldown, though I'm not sure if that's still necessary.

Also; for those who've read my Berserk thread, I proposed a new 'Rage' bar there, but instead of charging the Rage bar by using a specialized standard attack, using the special standar attack could simply be used to charge the mana bar. So by using TQ's Onslaught, for example, you wouldn't use mana, but rather gain it.

Anyway;
Animations for potion drinking. What do you guys think of that?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Playtester

If there has to be potions, then yes, they should have a drinking animation. And please, make the potions chugged counter visible to the player, without external tools.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Currently potions stack up to 99
They will definitely have a cool-down timer. Not quite sure how long it will be yet.

I'm trying to balance the game a little better for melee characters this time around so that they don't need to constantly chug potions.
Awesome...so far I like the approach you guys seem to be taking.

Regarding potion cool down time, not sure if you have played Underlord Mod, but the cool down in it feels perfect. Long enough where you can't rely on a constant stream of health, not too long where it interrupts the flow of combat.

I am not sure exactly, but I think it's about twice as long as TQ...
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #49  
Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
Anyway;
Animations for potion drinking. What do you guys think of that?
I think it might make me stab myself in the eye. I remember this all too well from the first dungeon siege where it absolutely drove me nuts.

This also totally defeats the purpose of potions, which is to save your ass when you're getting overwhelmed. If you can't drink potions during combat why not just get rid of them altogether and have fast health regen kick in after you haven't been hit for X seconds (not that I'm recommending that).
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

This whole thread reminds me of:

"Elf needs food!"
"Elf is about to die!"

Aside from the ability to have up to four players at once, the game is also noted for the narrator's voice, which was produced by a Texas Instruments TMS5220C speech chip.[1] The narrator would frequently make statements repeating the game's rules, including: "Shots do not hurt other players (yet)," "Remember, don't shoot food!", "Elf — shot the food!", and "Warrior needs food — badly!" Occasionally, the narrator would encourage (or mock) the players in the thick of battle by saying, "I've never seen such bravery!" or "Let's see you get out of here!" A memorable statement of the game occurred when a player's "life force" points fell below 200: "Your life force is running out" or "Valkyrie...is about to die!" Some of the game's statements are humorously ambiguous due to limited memory, such as "You are full of bombs and/or keys."

Taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_%28arcade_game%29
Closed Thread

Tags
balancing, combat, energy, health, potions