Pets / Summons / NPC Control skills 23 19.66%
Purely based on current Role Playing desire 20 17.09%
Long term scalability/growth potential overall 44 37.61%
Complimentary skills / potential to personalize class 45 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Supporter

mass effect spells ( not just damage... ) and survival of self even if the kite is left at home...

also a proud Loyalist 23.11.15 (what took me 5 years to buy this game again .....)

10.10.17 and as life tends to be in the way of playing, only now tried using the loyalist pack, at least i can say i have a (sort of) life...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roros View Post
I wouldn't lump utility together with jack of all trades, I consider utility to be like support or "funny stuff you can't really categorize as damage or tanking".

I'm mostly after AoE since I think the aspect of "more mobs/risk, more damage/reward" is really satisfying, but I'll take anything as long as it's fun. I've played fun healers (guild wars monk comes to mind), tanks (Aion templar has some really fun "get over here!" yanks), and support/utility/hybrid.

I think the class I'm least likely to pick is the rogue or single target damage dealer. I just want to run into a crowd and lay waste, and it's such a stick in the mud having to take dudes out individually, regardless of how fast it may be.
Yeah, I thought about that when I was putting it down... not enough choices, and I was interrupted as I was writing up the poll... I think my initial thoughts were a little more coherent.

I didn't mean to imply via the /'s that the two subjects were necessarily synonymous. Rather, I tried to put choices that were at least loosely tied together in the same line to save space.

I consider pets to be permanent, summons to be on a timer, and NPC Control to be either charm/mind control of mobs or the very different merc/henchman enhancement type of buffs/+max, etc

As far as utility vs support goes, although they share many qualities, I do draw a less than well-defined line between utility and support - not at all to say that it has any validity outside of my own head.

To me, the differences are:

Utility: Skills/Spells that intrinsically grant conveniences to the player(s) or alter enemy behavior without modifying any health/energy/resistances. Sometimes, these skills are available to other characters through equipment, consumable items or stationary gameworld objects. These skills may or may not be shared/aura effects, but generally tend to be beneficial to others as well as the player possessing them. (Essentially, as you said above, the funny stuff you can't really categorize as damage or tanking")

Examples:

(D2 Barb)
- Find Item
- Find Potion (Corpse barking)
- Taunt

(D2 Necro)
- Terror
- Confuse
- Attract
- Decrepify

(D2 Sorceress)

- Teleport

Support: Simply Buffs, Debuffs, and Heals. Making other players better and what they do and/or keeping them alive. Actively affects stats, rates, health, energy.

By Jack of All Trades I mean a class/mastery/skill tree that provides a very wide range of effects. Traditionally, less focused classes gain more options at the expense of those options being weaker or otherwise less effective than a comparable skill of a more focused class.

Using D2 for an example yet again, since my brain refuses to cooperate, the Druid's Elemental line provides more flexibility and a larger range of effects than the Sorceress's Fire line, but his fire-based spells are largely inferior.

To me, in TQ for example, Dream is a lot more JoaT mastery than Defense, as you have auras, radial and directed AoE, melee and alpha strike, etc... in this case, the individual skills are not necessarily any weaker than those of other classes.

ANYWAY... sorry for the incoherent, rambling book. I started this this morning, and the evil spirits of this place continue to extract their heavy toll.

I hope you are as confused as I am.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Praetorian

I'm all for AOE! and also burst damage and wide range of skill.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Acolyte

I think, the most of them are very interessting. This is for me a good selected class
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Acolyte

Survivability and fun to play. The fun can come from mobility (the shield's charge, the ghost attack (I'm not sure, in french "Attaque Fantôme") in the Dream tree), it can come from damage dealing (I love the Earth's orb), from pets... It's an alchemy. I tried some very powerfull classes and found them boring, the DPS isn't the first thing I look.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckhyl View Post
Survivability and fun to play. The fun can come from mobility (the shield's charge, the ghost attack (I'm not sure, in french "Attaque Fantôme") in the Dream tree), it can come from damage dealing (I love the Earth's orb), from pets... It's an alchemy. I tried some very powerfull classes and found them boring, the DPS isn't the first thing I look.
Attaque Fantôme == Phantom Strike

I know what I will be calling it on Vent from now on though hahaha
Old 05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Initiate

I tend to enjoy the roll playing aspect of games of this sort. Much like in Neverwinter Nights, I played characters that sounded interesting roll-playing wise. while this mentality doesnt really affect anything in this sort of game, I still consider the game's setting and think how I would personally handle the situation. That was one of my major issues with Titan quest, I wanted to play a duel axe wielding guy, eventhough all the forums asid how worthless it was. I just wanted to play that character.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipleofthelie View Post
That was one of my major issues with Titan quest, I wanted to play a duel axe wielding guy, eventhough all the forums asid how worthless it was. I just wanted to play that character.
How was it an issue with TQ, exactly? It's not the most efficient build (due to TQ maxing the AS of every weapon at the same level), but it's perfectly possible to beat the game with a dual axe wielder.

It's your gaming session, you can do with it as you wish.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
Pets. Preferably tons of them (without annoying timers).
+1
and some pets that dosent die from one hit.
i playes the zoomaster mod in TL and it was huge funn!!!!!

skills that enhance pets, skills that protect one self. so that the pets do the work

i woted AOE in the wote by the way, i love AOE's so mutch funn
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Counsel

AOE's are the way to go! Nothing feels as good as blowing up tens of enemies with nice AOE-bursts.
Closed Thread

Tags
classes, masteries