Old 12-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Praetorian

Smile GDMagazine - Published!

What do a cowboy say at German auto car show?

Audi boys!

Yea hello guys! LOL lame joke yea I know. You all must be all musty eye with tears and glitters with latest Grim Misadventure update for upcoming B29! Yeah me too. Couldn't start work unless I read all 14 pages of post in that thread. ITS ALMOST HERE GUYS!!

We all might get our hands on B29 earliest this weekend, quite possibly, highly yeah. I know it's kind of bad timing but I couldn't let this go on longer so I'm releasing this GD mock magazine to the wild! Read on!

The original intention of me creating this magazine is just sort of impulse. I'm just laying down on bed and suddenly this idea came "hmm i want to try do magazine with gd articles yea". So i dig the old copy of indesign and pop. Actually i want to revitalize the memory of early development of GD but somehow i failed to capture the feeling in the middle and kinda lost it altogether. But i hope it could capture those for some of you, especially those the early GD adopter. If you guys still can remember how we all get all kiddy giddy with every medierra and rhis post, discussion what item color gonna be, auto gold pickup, auto potion pickup, the early shot of blank inventory and guessing what item gonna be there in each slot, modder texture counts etc etc. That was good memory. And I honestly can say that I almost open GD forum everyday for 5 years. That's takes some dedication lol! And I'm grateful to tapatalk also!

The mock magazine its compilation of previous articles on GD or Crate since 2009 up until 2015, of all what I could gather anyway. There could be more hidden somewhere but getting 80+ pages is almost overkill (although the reddit log is what causing it) so I stop after couldn't find more.

I create a historical timeline for easy reference for those who would really like visually which happen first and which later. The timeline is from creation of Crate until latest B28 update. We also lucky to get a bit of short preface from Crate on the first page so it's a really put some value there. Thanks Zantai for getting back at that request.

I hope this little magazine can be enjoyed by everyone and I enjoyed every bits of time I'm editing this. Love GD!

Now for the prime time, presenting the GD Magazine Vol1-1!

ATTENTION: THIS RECREATION OF PREVIOUS ARTICLES, NEWS OR FEATURES ON GD/CRATE IS SOLELY FOR HOBBY PURPOSES. I HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOING ANY SORTS OF PLAGIARISM, COPYCAT OR ANYTHING EQUAL TO THAT. I HAVE TRY TO PROVIDE EACH ARTICLES THEIR RESPECTIVE CREDITS TO ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED URL LOCATION, DATES AND AUTHOR NAME IF ANY. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE OWNER OF THE ARTICLE AND WOULD LIKE FOR THE CONTENTS TO BE TAKEN DOWN, YOU MAY CONTACT ME DIRECTLY VIA PM IN THIS FORUM, THOUGH I WOULD SUGGEST FOR YOU TO ALLOW THE ARTICLE TO BE USED IN THE MOCK MAGAZINE FOR FAN TO READ THEM. I HAVE NO ANY ILL INTENTION WHATSOEVER AND I AM NOT GAINING ANY PROFIT IN THE CREATION OF THIS MOCK MAGAZINE.

DOWNLOAD PDF

Open spoiler to show the cover!

Open spoiler to show the contents sample!

Now i have made each articles layout in 2-fold view (like above contents sample) to have more diverse layout design. For those who want to have 2-fold view in Adobe Acrobat Reader, simply enable the view in below instructions:
At menu toolbar > view > page display > Two Page View

Also enable this to avoid cover viewing first page as 1 content page
At menu toolbar > view > page display > Show Cover Page in Two Page View (enable this)

The options should be enable like in spoiler tag below

And apparently I don't know how to use spoiler tag with the show button lol!

OLD POST

Quote:
Hi guys, just a head up that i'm doing a bit of lazy works on past articles written about anything related to Crate or Grim Dawn since 2009 until recently. The works have been smooth so far but compiling all those articles is rather consuming and taking up my gaming time!

I tried to give proper credits to all original content's writer by providing mentioning clearly in the articles and also link to the original page.

Software i use is old copy of indesign CS3 i have laying around. I think i got this from my uncle in 2008 I my memory served me well. Installed once before and left it in the storage.

I have been using a mostly PC Gamer style of layout, coloring and style flavor. I don't have any experience of doing magazine editing so don't expect anything fancy from this mockup magazine . Just remember that it will be a lot of read for those who are, readers.

I intend to wrap the magazine before end of this month since if i drag more toward GD release, this will left in the dust in GD awesomeness. So far its already 49 page of full text wall. I might to a bit of history timeline to show where GD have been since 2009 up until now.

Here a bit of of unfinished works, cover and one articles for your taste. Only that i still haven't solve problem with visible frame line when printing to PDF. Can't seem to find good and free pdf printer for printing indd file. Anyone can suggest good utility software?

cover wip

sample page

Hopefully some of you can enjoy this as much as I did. Wait for the

Cheers!

Last edited by alexei; 12-22-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Update
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2  
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Wow, looks fantastic!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Wow, looks fantastic!
Hot damn thank you! Didnt expect out of all people for you to come and say that.

You just made me want to try harder to release better quality job.

Release date pushed back lol!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Emissary

oh see Incredible. good job!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Praetorian

That's awesome alexei. Looking forward to downloading this in its entirety in the future. Should be a fun read.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Herald

yes it looks really great. good job alexei
Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Counsel

Great work! Looking forward to it.

Hope you don't mind me pointing out a typo... in the Q&A sample page 4, 3rd last paragraph [Nathan], fair should be spelled fare.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Herald

Really nice work! Looking forward to reading your magazine. Btw, on the cover page - 'recap of gamatsura's' or 'gamasutra's'?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Praetorian

Nice Alexei, can't wait to read the magazine!
twitch.tv/dikkiedik92

My builds: https://goo.gl/TTGM9X
Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Praetorian

Many thanks guys for the words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
Great work! Looking forward to it.

Hope you don't mind me pointing out a typo... in the Q&A sample page 4, 3rd last paragraph [Nathan], fair should be spelled fare.
Hehe all the articles like i said is directly from the original articles. Must be typo from the post, and I don't intend to try correcting anything.

All the articles are available somewhere in the net. I'm just collecting them together and making this in one compilation, in nostalgic feeling that I have upon GD release next year. It's have been five year of long fun ride. And patience.

Some of the articles have been already disappeared due to expiry url. I'm lucky to be able to salvage few of them from wayback machine. I remember there's one interview with medierra by a student, of kinda game development course. Still can't find that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkel View Post
Really nice work! Looking forward to reading your magazine. Btw, on the cover page - 'recap of gamatsura's' or 'gamasutra's'?
That one is gamasutra it should be. Typo my bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
grim dawn, magazine, press, publication