Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Herald

My suggestion for those who find picking up every loot tedious.

Make all trash mobs drop gold 90% of the time.
8% items and 2% gems (socketable).

mini bosses drop lots of cracked gems.
big bosses drop full gems, rare items, gold, etc.

This way less trash loot to gather and more fighting.
Gold will be spent in outpost to buy item upgrades and enchantments, etc.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mines51 View Post
Zombies not carrying swords? I'm disappointed. We need more sword wielding zombies in the world. Skeletons can do it, why not zombies?
WHOA! whoa... hey lets not jump to conclusions here. Of course zombies can use swords. However, they can also carry swords they aren't using. You know, could be lodged in the back or something from previous combat.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Acolyte

Awesome...exactly what i wanted. Sword-wielding zombies are a must in any game. Would be nice to see some visible effects of impaled zombies even it they don't drop the weapon they were impaled with.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
WHOA! whoa... hey lets not jump to conclusions here. Of course zombies can use swords. However, they can also carry swords they aren't using. You know, could be lodged in the back or something from previous combat.
Ok, here's a question:

Will the zombie drop multiple weapons? Say we find the zombie wielding a sword, and we kill it. Will he drop said sword, as well as another sword, and maybe an axe? Also, what if he has a unique sword as well as a non unique sword? Will he equip the better of the two? (I'm really hoping for yes...)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Herald

Well, I kind of see it like this my character has an inventory, and he could have any kind of item in said inventory.

So, if my character is a measure of any other enemy in the game, then they would also have an inventory and carry weapons within it that I would not be able to see.

That's a more "I can do this why can't they?' Scenario, but if it's good enough for a game like Diablo I feel it should be good enough for any game.

Though I could understand if there was a higher attempt for the game to put-forth realism into the RPG concept, but with magic and how the game works in general that's just not necessary.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Lord Advocate

I think you are thinking about it a tad too hard...
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #27  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
Ok, here's a question:

Will the zombie drop multiple weapons? Say we find the zombie wielding a sword, and we kill it. Will he drop said sword, as well as another sword, and maybe an axe? Also, what if he has a unique sword as well as a non unique sword? Will he equip the better of the two? (I'm really hoping for yes...)
If the zombie is actually wielding a weapon, that weapon will drop. It might be a broken weapon, in which case it will vanish after dropping. There may also be a chance of generating miscellaneous items in addition to what is equipped, this could be zombie skin (although I have no idea why you'd want that), a potion, coins, another sword, a unique crossbow, some magic gloves, uber essence of uberness, whatever...

The system doesn't simulate the zombie having an inventory and being able to choose what to equip, although you can certainly imagine that it is doing that. Just be forewarned, zombies aren't known for their good judgment.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Herald

I think it's a valid comparison. I'm not the developer, I've never created my own game, but still think it unnecessary to limit yourself as a designer. Especially if that limitation is not needed.

Though, like I said maybe there's a sort of "this is realism" way of looking at it in terms of the RPG part of the genre.

Though I do like that they have decided to allow certain creature types drop more then just what is seen, this is a big leap forward in the lottery effect.

Last edited by Scryer; 01-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Praetorian

Lol, ok then. Thanks for the clarification Medierra.

I hear zombie skin makes for one wicked barbecue!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Seeker

my thoughts on trash drops, and drops in general:

-i don't mind "trash" drops at all really, mainly because a lot of items i want are either really expensive or i have need to loot/sell to save up enough gold for other things. ie: the services other merchants in the town offer, inventory expansion, etc. POINT IS: i enjoy picking up every item and dealing with the time/"hassle" of selling it all and hording gold. the gold in TQ specifically has ALWAYS come in handy, and I've never had TOO much.

-in TQ specifically (again) i noticed that i would 90% of the time find, in a monster loot drop, better items than the merchants offered, RIGHT around the time that i had enough gold to purchase them in the first place. it was almost like clockwork, to the point where i felt like it was almost pointless past level 10 to even buy anything from merchants other than potions and services. (example: i try my best to save up 10,000 gold for an awesome helmet, only to find a slightly better helmet on a dead enemy right as i finally collect 9,500 gold)

-it was frustrating at times when i would lay waste to a ton of enemies, see all of them physically drop weapons/armor, but only SOME of those items were able to be picked up. gold and potions, sure, but how many times do you remember seeing a sword or a bow drop, and when you hit Z (alt? lol) it wouldn't highlight or allow you to grab it.

-my only other thought that hasn't really been posted here is that if drops are going to be modified, which im cool with, then i hope it doesn't shift things too much, or accelerate the players completion time at all. i enjoy long games, but short games are only fun if i felt like i really worked to finish it. TQ's pacing was pretty spot on for a linear ARPG, in my opinion. i'm sure this will be considered in the overall scheme of things anyway though.

good topic guys.
Closed Thread

Tags
loot