Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Classes, Skills and Builds

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you really like to play the class like this?
Yes! 6 19.35%
No! 12 38.71%
Depends on how the class would really work in the idea of developers... 10 32.26%
Maybe 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Initiate

Default Class idea - shields ON(ly)

As from the days of Dungeons and Dragons, looong time ago...
One day, a mighty warrior found a shield in the forest...
Rain started, he used his rusty shield to protect himself from freezeing, it was raining whole day and night, it was cold, but shield, shield protected his body!
Once upon a time, he found another shield, it was a little better then the rusty shield, and he was thinking, what if he uses 2 shields to protect him from snow, thunder, and other stuff going on in forest.
He tried it, and he survives!

After a long long time in the forest, a big big boss stood on his ground, and didn't give him to pass through. Mighty warrior took both of his shields, one in main and another in off-hand, and he was bashing the hell out of the boss!
Mighty warrior killed the boss, and got a pass to the dungeon!

OK, idea is to make a class which gets most buffs, skills, stats from the shields...
Actually it only fights with the shield, OK, maybe you can add a skill tree to some class (berserker, warrior, something like that) to go shield only, so he can use 2 bucklers, or one big shields like in medieval time, with the spikes, knives or such.

Or, you could combine a dagger or some other small weapon with the shield, so you actually fight with the shield that's equiped with other weapon...

I'd really like to see a class like this, because in many games you can use the shield only, but you don't get anything from it...

Adding some magic damage, electricity, lightning from bashing with the shield/s, piercing enemies with the end of the shield, and shields with the sharp parts, that would be really really cool and unique in the games like this today

I'd like to hear your ideas, and feedback to this
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Advocate

I see some high level shields coming. I don't know about viability however, although you could just put all of your points into Charge and I assume combat will have Shield Bash.

I found a loophole in fourth edition. OK, the Swordmage gets the best bonuses when wielding a light blade, wearing light or no armor, and having an open hand. But it is possible to also get a shield bonus if using a Spiked Shield which is considered a light blade. In such a way do I survive the harsh deserts of Athas.

Last edited by KondaImmortal; 09-23-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Minister of Information

Classes/masteries are supposed to have no item restrictions and hardly any weapon requirements. And you usually combine two masteries to get your final dual-class. In order for this mastery to fit in, it must not limit you to shields-only.

So, the mastery system is more a modular system. Provided there are sufficient shield attacks/skills, you should be able to create an extravagant build, which does not use weapon attacks. I think this would require one basic skill, which is available to you all the time. If it consumes energy and/or is less effective then regular weapon attacks, it would not be overpowered ... but can become the key for a viable shield build.

Some past feedback from people who I think would support your idea ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Another popular demand:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roros View Post
I could see dual welding being a little more economical since it ties into shields as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmidon View Post
Awsome. you guys should make duel weild shields i always wanted to try it in a game. but they never let you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9voltkilowatt View Post
And of course with the addition of dual wielding shields means a new sub-class of shield! Maybe a type that is more like a weapon but retains the ability to block, at least in some minor capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
I wanna dual wield [this shield]!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal Monkey View Post
Please tell me that dual wielding shields is actually going to be in the game though! I love shields!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahunt5714 View Post
Make Dual Wield Shields REALLY happen =)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Initiate

Wow man! You made my day!
Love it!
I hope they'll gonna implement something like that in future, I know that the game is not even in pre-alpha, and that's why are all here to give our ideas, so we can maybe see it in future!
Yes, combining masteries, having a basic attack with shields, and adding some skills which will be shields only, or some sort of stats like if you have shield equiped then bla bla bla... Also, this would be usable with other class build system, so as example if you use a sword and the shield...
But if you dual wield bucklers, then you could have like some sort of multiplier or something...
I'm not into the whole game system, as I heard for Grim Dawn like 2 days ago
And instantly loved it!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Initiate

I personally don't think that there should be that much shield support in this game (Because of dualclass-system). 1-2shield skills and A dualwield option however would be epic.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedarkeisbein View Post
I personally don't think that there should be that much shield support in this game (Because of dualclass-system). 1-2shield skills and A dualwield option however would be epic.
Maybe true, depends on designers/devs, I mean, if there won't be full class, it's OK, if there won't be a specific mastery tree, part where you can go, still OK, but I'd like to see that the specific class can use two shields, or one big shield to protect himself and to fight with it, and can take skill and passive skills that can be combined with the build like that
Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Initiate

shields only ,
Only if it would use shields to kill monsters fast becouse in titant quest defender was reallly anoying and borign and it took me forever to get with him to epic . few times longer then other classes.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Initiate

If it's like the Defender in TQ, no problem. It would even work very well with Rifles/Pistols I assume ;P A bit too modern but why not.

So if Masteries are not tied to items, theorhetically a Warrior can play with a shield as their offensive weapon, regardless of their ability to use it defensively?... And we can block with a blade too? (Sorry if this all sounds silly, I am just curious)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Initiate

I'm sorry this just sounds cheezy to me so I'll vote nay
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Champion

There are actually many things which can be implemented with shields regardless if they will double wield or not. Shields can block, counterattack, retaliate, charge, smite, even can be thrown like a battle boomerang disk (imagine a shield flying in a wide arc and crushing everything on it's path). Each of those skills could be active, passive and produce an effect on strike/on struck. It gives really wide range of combinations and could fill a totally defensive mastery.
However, about double wielding shileds... I really don't know. Munchkin in me anticipates it with an undying inspiration. However, there were no any real prototypes for this way of warfare. I bet it was for a purpose, not just because there were no any one that smart during those years. On other side, there were no real prototypes for shield charge and bash as regular skills as well. So... why not? I voted for the developers though It will be good anyway if and only if it will fit developers ideas. Otherwise it won't be worth of efforts.
Closed Thread

Tags
shields, skills, suggested masteries