Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Lord Advocate

Default Dreadline - A new ARPG game with a twist

I thought this one was interesting...it's a ARPG with a twist. Basically it's a mash-up between Freedom Force and Diablo and one of the guys behind the company was actually the lead programmer behind Titan Quest which is interesting for obvious reasons

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...its-dreadline/

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Oh thank goodness – I was just getting all cross about something entirely unrelated to games, and then games made everything better! There’s a team made up of developers formerly of Irrational, Harmonix, and Iron Lore, wonderfully called Eerie Canal Entertainment. And they’re making a game about monsters who travel through history to kill people. Where you play as the monsters. It’s called Dreadline, and it’s PC only. I want it. There’s a teaser and more details about it below.

I’m assuming the nature of the video has little to do with the way the game will play, since it’s to be an RPG/RTS hybrid. However, it seems you can expect the art style to be similar, as the engine they’ve created is designed around bringing artist Steven Kimura’s drawings to life. You’ll play as a team of monsters, who have a time machine, whose job it is to kill those who are doomed to die in history’s disasters. They explain it as,

“A Diablo/Freedom Force mashup, but faster and with more blood!”

Well, take a look. The last line might be the best line there’s ever been:

Eerie Canal recently formed in Boston, by Bryn Bennett (programmer on Freedom Force, lead programmer on Titan Quest) and Steven Kimura (2D artist on System Shock 2, artist on BioShock), names that reach as far back as Looking Glass really. Also on board are Arthur Inasi, an audio lead from Harmonix, Aaron DeMuth and Mallika Sundaramurthy, both former Harmonix artists. Which sounds good to me.

Last edited by Renevent; 05-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Praetorian

I was gonna say "yawn, i'm bored of kickstarter"

but wtf is this

interesting to say the least...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Praetorian

sounds good, where do I sign?

this might be an interesting game to play, going to keep my eye on it

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Lord Advocate

I think I gave some bad info on this...I'm not sure it's even a kickstarter...I think they are just independently developing it.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Praetorian

Yea it's not on KS ...yet
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Lord Advocate

LOL...probably right about that. Either way, if a mod reads this please take out the kickstarter bit from the title
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Done. It's looking pretty morbid. Could be interesting..
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Haha, yes, the Bang Camaro guys let us use their "Rock of Mages" song. If you didn't know, one of the lead guys in Bang Camaro, Bryn Bennett, was the Lead Programmer on TQ. He's actually trying to start his own company now as well. http://www.facebook.com/EerieCanalGames
So, I followed the link, went to http://www.eerie-canal.com/ and ended up on their Kickstarter project, which just started yesterday. According to the KS video Bryn left them for financial reasons, but anyway - you can pledge for this game now.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Praetorian

Need to see some more footage. This is too weird to form an opinion on. Got way too many questions unanswered as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Here is something to raise more questions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBf1kM0wBfg

This is the band of one of the artists. She is the singer but if you can get ~ 1min into the video, I wonder wtf happened to her voice.

Then, how is it that the "monsters" in this video game include a boy with a sheet and a cube?

Definitely an interesting group of individuals behind the game studio, but I wonder if they would not have had more success making a game that does not attempt to cater to a broader audience. I personally would be more intrigued by a death metal video game.
Closed Thread

Tags
crowdfunding