Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Herald

I just want to say that it is very nice of you guys to be willing to donate your time to assist with translation.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Counsel

Just thinking of all the old nes/snes/genesis games that have been retranslated by fans because of how terrible the originals were.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Advocate

I would be willing to translate the unsophisticated, gruff Bostonian accented texts into proper English of the type spoken here in Connecticut - and, by extension, the majority of the erudite peoples of the USA. You will have to find someone else versed in "hickeese" however to translate for those troglodytes living below the Mason-Dixon line.

For those in other countries, consider this...an inside joke.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Man, I always know its going to be an epic when a post is personally addressed to me.

I think this generally makes sense though. I'd much rather we just do it through a community effort. The one issue that concerns me, which isn't as concerning after I thought about the extensive alpha and beta periods, is that we need to orchestrate it in a way that we can have finished localization files ready for all the languages prior to full release.

But yet, with fans getting updates of the localization text files throughout the alpha and beta, this might make the process a lot easier. We can always start out with that approach and then, if it isn't working, we could have it sent out. I feel like this will work though.
You tellUm Bro and if you want me to Break a Leg or 2 I WILL!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrus View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree with you Kurrus, you are viewing this issue of translation as a player more "hardcore"...not as a player more "normal".

The player "normal" the only thing that want when buying a interesting game is sit in front of his pc and play... reading the quest, books, habilities, dialoges, etc. in his own language.

Don´t have a translation in the release (professional or not) i a great mistake, and I can give you 2 examples of games that have been forgotten for the "spanish speakers" because its developer decided not translate:

*Divine Divinity: Not transaled, no many pleope know in Spain and Latin America.
*Dark Spore: I know the game is bad and online-singleplayer killed him, but came not translated into Spanish = not spoken about DarkSpore on the pages of Spanish games, and in fact nobody knows.

Honestly, do you think Diablo3 had the same success just out in English? Personally I trust in you crate, but some in the page-Esp TitanQuest are really disillusioned because first say that if you will do, and then change their minds. The translation EFGIS was one of the reasons that supported the KS.

I know that some translation of the community are very good, but me and other don't wants to waiting 1, 2, 6 months or 1 year after the release to play in their native language.

Take note: I talking about the text translation.

Last edited by Chronikuz; 05-29-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
I think that, in general, volunteers take more responsibility for their task than people that are paid - depending on how much effort they put in, ofcourse. After all, people who are not paid are intrinsically motivated. Why else would modders slave away hundreds or even thousands of hours unpaid?
Maybe that volunteers are just gaming while doing the assigned job? maybe, or maybe not, they take the task as a game, a fun, of couse a fun they like, but hard workers are everywhere, and is ridiculous to say that the most common think is a man who is paid for a work will not be motivated to do the best of his assigned task. I am a hard worker, out of "games world", and for example I have worked in an international event sharing tasks with volunteers, some years ago. I have not that remember of they as "motivated people", just people doing something they found funny.

Volunteers can be more interested in the final product of the task, but never, in my opinion, more motivated, as professionality is sinonimous of responsability for me, and sure for a lot of more people with really different works.

I think this is a too deep talk, related to a lot of situations in real live, not just translation tasks.

Of couse is possible volunteers would do a great translation.. but which volunteers would be choosen? what experience or studies they would have to prove? I hope it that would be the path choosen by crate, they will take garantees that the volunteers choseen will be really capacitated with studies and formation related with that task.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Man, I always know its going to be an epic when a post is personally addressed to me.

I think this generally makes sense though. I'd much rather we just do it through a community effort. The one issue that concerns me, which isn't as concerning after I thought about the extensive alpha and beta periods, is that we need to orchestrate it in a way that we can have finished localization files ready for all the languages prior to full release.

But yet, with fans getting updates of the localization text files throughout the alpha and beta, this might make the process a lot easier. We can always start out with that approach and then, if it isn't working, we could have it sent out. I feel like this will work though.
If i understand Medierra's quote, he appears to be saying that Crate will try to use volunteer translators from the community during the alpha and beta. Then according to the feedback from the community, decide whether professional translation services are needed. If professionals are needed, they will be hired at that point and hopefully in good time for the actual release.

Does this seem like a good plan?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by koovan View Post
If i understand Medierra's quote, he appears to be saying that Crate will try to use volunteer translators from the community during the alpha and beta. Then according to the feedback from the community, decide whether professional translation services are needed. If professionals are needed, they will be hired at that point and hopefully in good time for the actual release.

Does this seem like a good plan?
If you are saying that Crate will bring together a group of voluntary translators for under your supervision and control to prepare to be ready the version of GD in other languages, with a acceptable translation and if approved by Crate to the launch date, it will be a reasonable option. Although surely at least a professional translator must supervise and control the final work.

But if you are waiting for a voluntary group that after the release date of the game, translate by their self and own risk, the result will be disastrous. For example it should be noted Torchlight 1, that never had a spanish translation except one mod with a lot of errors and mistakes but do it by a great effort and good will of volunteers. (Many months later Runic do it in the disc version, but with many problems to install it in the digital version)

Like Titan Quest players of all life (a forum where members still playing it actively) we are waiting with craving the launching of Grim Dawn. We have supported (and we will continue supporting) the company and the game, wishing hopefully that will follow the tradition of the game that is recognized as the heritor. Not only by his pioneer design of Masters and Skills, if not also the carefully translation that characterized Titan Quest.

Pchead, Administrator of Titan Quest-Esp

Traducido gracias a la colaboración de Lord Sauron y Chronikuz.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Speaker

Medierra, we will have you atention please?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

I would think this still applies, I'm not sure what you want to hear?
Quote:

Closed Thread

Tags
translations