Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Notices

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Supporter

Not to draw this topic out, since it does ride along the edge of the forum guidelines, but it's also quite true that if you look contextually at what you do in a game like diablo, and its successors, there's nothing really satanic about it. There's plenty 'demonic' perhaps, but only as swarms, and swarms (and swarms!) of enemies.

But it's the iconography that can be an issue, on the box art especially, which i'm sure has made a number of potential purchasers wary. When i was a a lot younger, picking up a copy of d1 was a bit of a risk, given how conservative my folks were. personally, i'm glad it ultimately didn't stop me from experiencing 2 (and now 3) well developed arpg's that have a rich, gothic storyline that were/are not as morally suspect as their advertisements may have suggested. (i had to make quick work of trashing the box and the disc cases, though, for d1 as i recall).

What's interesting about TQ's setting being relatively innocuous now, is that the greek gods, who were ultimately inherited by the romans, were in fact at odds with the early christians, and TQ's setting and topic may have been far more contentious to conservative elements in that time. History has a funny way of adjusting our viewpoints.

In any case, i think medierra's right in that it really is about one's sensitivity to iconography. My guess is that if one can handle TQ:IT and the sprint through the underworld to confront hades, then GD will probably be equally palatable.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Initiate

Occult reminds me a lot of Nature. It'd be really cool if they shared a similar implementation when it came to summoning, even if everything else is different. In fact, I wouldn't call Nature's wolves "pets" exactly - a "pet" is what the Liche King was to Spirit or what undead minions were to Diablo 2's Necromancer. I think you could blame that on how much support Nature's wolves got from skills and pet items - wolves were no longer just "feel-safe" minions, damage buffers or free DPS - for all intents and purposes, TQ's wolves were Nature's arms and legs. They were living nukes which were at their strongest when you controlled them manually or when you affected their behavior in a way that significantly increased their efficiency. You could even argue that the wolves were Nature class' default LMB - you could use them to scout, to draw away enemy units, to strategically attack key enemy units, to kite mobs, to draw the full brunt a boss-level nuke away from your character, or as a strategic nuke (by using Plague and retreating, giving your frail wolves precious time to do massive damage on enemy units chasing your character). All this on top of essentially being a kill-any-hostile-unit-near-me aura, which is more or less the default mode for summons in most games anyway.

In contrast the Liche King from TQ's Spirit mastery, despite having some of the strongest skills in entire the game (one can even argue that he's the most powerful pet in the game), is just a battle pet. Because of the way the Spirit class worked you could probably replace the Liche King with an aura or persistent effect that followed you around (attacking/debuffing enemy units) and you'd get more or less the same result (minus the coolness factor, of course). Diablo 2's Necromancer lacked even basic control over his pets. In essence his summons were just a wall of DPS that allowed him to fling a few spells over at the other side every once in a while.

Tags
classes, lore, masteries