Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Supporter

Question favorite appearance

Hello everyone.

What are your favorite features and traits of the appearance of characters.In games,movies,cartoon movies,anime,manga,comics,cosplay and other.

Hair & beard or stubble & bald;horns & fur or hoof & tail;spikes & spurs or spandes & latex;grim & demonic or cute &angelic;realistic & brutal or surreal & ponies;muscle & fat or slim & skinny;armor & cloth or leather & dried heads;red &blue or yellow & green;mans & womans or something else...

Like:Masks of any forms and shapes;animated piece of equipment and limbs (while full or partly transformation)
Dislike:Showy and dappled appearance;many glowing objects on character.

Live in swamp.
Burn people.
Be badass.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Supporter

In computer games for characters i play myself I like to have a character that has a beard or a stubble. I know its a cliché in the gaming industry. Almost all main characters have a stubble lately. I personally have a heard time playing military type of character's.

On the other hand i really dislike playing an hermaphrodite character like in many Japanese games. You almost don't see if the character is male or female when you just look at the face (I do know you can see the difference when you look at the oversized boobs)

In the movies on the other hand I really like when a character doesn't have the usual hero look. I really loved Paul Bettany in Priest for example. I suppose that most of you people didn't like the movie (It was a flop in the box office) but i really enjoyed the movie for the main character and the computer animation/art.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardhora View Post
In the movies on the other hand I really like when a character doesn't have the usual hero look. I really loved Paul Bettany in Priest for example. I suppose that most of you people didn't like the movie (It was a flop in the box office) but i really enjoyed the movie for the main character and the computer animation/art.
Whoa! That's the first time I've ever heard anyone mention Priest. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Certainly better than most vampire movies. And yeah, Paul Bettany play that role very well.

As for my favorite character appearance in games. Can't say I'm really sure. Every game I play where the appearance is customizable ends up being a pointless time-sink. I spend 15+ minutes deciding exactly how everything should look, then after that much time in-game I don't even notice my character anymore. That goes even more so for games like Titan Quest (and therefor Grim Dawn). The faster the action, the less I care what the character looks like.

Come to think of it, my favorite character design in recent memory was John Rochard from the game "Rochard" (inventive name, right?). Kicking ass and taking names with nothing but his massive gut, and gravity-based weapons made that game pretty entertaining

Side-note: I played the PC version of Rochard. No clue how the PS3 version was.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Herald

I'm all for appearance customization, but I agree that facial details seem like mostly a waste of time - both for myself and for the developers.

Another problem is that I feel a character's animation set defines him much more than his actual design, so it's really jarring when you spend half an hour coming up with a really specific look that you're fairly happy with, but he moves like any other guy anyways. This is especially noticable in mmo's that have a really powerful character generator, but no matter how different your guy looks, he's still obviously built from the same template as the others by the way he runs and fights.