Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we expand auto-pickup to potions?
Hell yes! My gimpy fingers can't click as well as they used to! 525 52.55%
No, that seems like a bit too much automation and would diminish the reward of it. 390 39.04%
Can't say I really care. 84 8.41%
Voters: 999. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Initiate

I'm all for features that mean less time spent in town and more time smashing monsters, and this seems like just the ticket. Potions should be a part of gameplay that becomes second nature - you check how many you have, use them when you need to, and forget about them the rest of the time. As long as there's not a total over abundance of them throughout the game it shouldn't matter whether we automatically pick them up or not. Hell, just turn it into a variable option for those who don't want it?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Initiate

Will it cause issues when playing with Friends ? For the potion split.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Minister of Information

You can trade potions. But I think you are asking if potions are auto-picked-up, if a player drops them. Am I right?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Champion

I think his question was who get's the potions. The people in the front will naturally get more potions than those in the backrow.

That being said wasn't the loot client-side? Or am I mixing this up with Diablo3.

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Initiate

It's definitely client side in D3. After playing the open beta weekend with some friends I have to say its actually quite liberating to not have to worry about lootiquite and I hope it's client-side in GD as well!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Lord Advocate

I think I read the loot drops in D3 are generated server side, but yeah, it's now specific per player.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Acolyte

Ah, so no more ninja-looting all uniques in Diablo?
One of the fun parts when me and my girlfriend were playing Titan Quest was seeing who could pick up the blues and purples the quickest. We'd share them ourselves, ultimately, so that was a lot of fun. In online environments, I can see how it can be preferable to have the loot divided up among the clients.

Maybe you can provide us with a set of options when setting up an online game that comes in the form of a checkbox, giving us the option to switch between the two?
Or even more sophisticated, an option in the form of a drop-down menu that sets from which item rarity it should drop client-side, for example, if you set it to epic, all normal, magical and rares will drop server-side and all epics and legendaries are distributed client side.
The only problem that leaves us with is if you're going to make relics/charms as well, there should be a separate option for that.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Initiate

I think auto-potion pickup as a toggleable option is a good idea.

Also, what would be good, from my previous experience of ARPGs - an option to filter certain items, namely potions, 'trash' loot, etc. Maybe it filters them out, maybe it just converts them to equivalent gold value (so you aren't missing out).

Having a screen filled with trash items you have to collect and sort is another monotonous issue in some games like this. So, a gold-conversion filter is a good solution that doesn't penalise you
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Initiate

Titan Quest was able to filter junk items out, and as Grim Dawn is built on the same engine, then I'd assume that it will have filters as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asundai View Post
I think auto-potion pickup as a toggleable option is a good idea.
Ok, out of curiosity, when is picking up a potion ever something you would not do ? Can't think of anything that is not extremely rare (as in, you resolve that situation in the same minute).

Tags
energy, health, loot, potions