Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Initiate

Thumbs Up WASD Movement

Okay folks, don't get your panties in a bunch.
I would like to request WASD movement for those of us who want it. All those of you who want mouse-click to move, you can still do that and happily ignore the WASD option, okay?

Now, I don't mean WASD as in first person or even over the shoulder, as in an FPS or MMORPG. I mean regular old bird's eye view with WASD controls.

Like Alien Shooter employs, except in Grim Dawn it will also be possible to rotate the camera.

Personally I like to move with the keyboard and then use my mouse to aim with. It's a great way to play an archer or mage, without having to stop to shoot.

I find it annoying in many games that it's necessary to play tennis with the mouse pointer to run and shoot. First the pointer goes way over on one side to pick a place to run to. Then the pointer has to go all the way to the other side to pick and enemy to target, then - because the character has stopped to shoot - the mouse pointer must rapidly be brought over to the other side again to once more click to run. Eww..

With WASD movement, I can simply hold the D key, for example, to keep running right, and use my mouse pointer to aim at enemies on the left side. It's glorious.

Even if a slowdown was introduced to add some realism that it's not possible to fully sprint and cast/shoot at the same time, it would still make it much more pleasurable to play with a WASD movement scheme.

Before I close this post, once more, this is a request for those of us who ENJOY WASD movement. All those of you who love the mouse-click-to-move model, by all means, use that and stick with that. But don't use your love of that model to criticize this thread, okay? I'm sorry to be so preemptive about it, but I've seen this kind of WASD movement idea thread thoroughly trolled and derailed by mouse-click-to-move rabid fanboys on other forums.

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work! Grim Dawn looks to be awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Herald

I like it for ranged attacks, but I'm not sure how it would work for melee. I guess you could have a hybrid system where your character walks up to your cursor when you attack something (unless you make all the melee attacks aoe or something).

I'd imagine this is a pretty substantial change though, and not something that's added in just a day's work. I've only played one other game where they retrofitted wasd controls onto an existing click-to-move game, it took them 2 months and the result was so awkward and clunky due to the input having to be processed by the server/host that nobody used it anyway.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

I actually really like the idea of WASD movement in an ARPG as it could allow for some much more interesting combat, however, it isn't something that I feel we will be able to do in this game.

We do have a concept for a sci-fi ARPG 3rd-person shooter that we're dying to make and that would use WASD movement, so maybe someday.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Initiate

I remember another game, not sure if it was Titan's Quest or Diablo 2, but one of them actually had WASD retrofitted in by people in the community using, I think, something along the lines of autohotkey to map mouse direction to those keys.

Despite all the people saying "impossible" it actually worked. I know, because I played with it :P My sieve memory just can't remember which game it was.

It's a shame it won't be implemented for GD, but I did play TL and had no real complaints. I just like being spoiled and have my cake and eat it too.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra
The way melee combat and skills currently function isn't very compatible with this type of control. When we implemented WASD control in our prototype at ILE, it resulted in very awkward semi-broken combat and a bunch of non-functional skills.
read full post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I actually like the idea of WASD movements - not that I'd use it, but at least to try it out and see how it feels.

Oh well, mouse-point-click-move-attack seems to work fine. And since the character probably won't have to duck and cover (like in Space Siege), the WASD movements could be missed.

Last edited by yerkyerk; 02-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Counsel

I <3 WASD movement. I'm a huge ranged person and I totally agree tat it would benefit us =S

Oh how I wish it were possible to implement this in this game.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Acolyte

I agree with th wasd movement, I still have never made a melee character for TQ because I just love ranged attack, and having to hold shift to stop myself from running into mobs bugs me a bit, but if wasd isn't in this I wouldn't mind to much because can't really miss something you never had.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I actually really like the idea of WASD movement in an ARPG as it could allow for some much more interesting combat, however, it isn't something that I feel we will be able to do in this game.

We do have a concept for a sci-fi ARPG 3rd-person shooter that we're dying to make and that would use WASD movement, so maybe someday.
Use Spacesiege as your example of what not to do... its linear its mouse only and no matter what you do or how you enhance your player its basically the same game. The controls are horrible, you need to use the mouse to dodge and if they just added WSAD it might even be playable......

Now if you could have the style and variety of TQ in space with various landscapes and ships to plow though and explore.. THAT would literally be an instant buy from me. Infact i have so many ideas buzzing around i could write a term paper on it.

As for WSAD in grim Dawn, i think its rediculous... the shift key to fire/attack at will and a mouse will do everything you need... But...

WSAD Dodge Commands now that would be something it could benefit from, infact i think this should be a standard for all ARPG's
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Lord Advocate

"WSAD Dodge Commands now that would be something it could benefit from, infact i think this should be a standard for all ARPG's "

Not a bad idea...
Closed Thread

Tags
controls, targeting, wasd