Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFrog View Post
I like the "challenge" idea of an area:

There are those games where you often meet areas with "orange" or "red" enemies and you think: i can't beat you yet but i'll be back!! This is a very cool way of communicating progress to the player.
If monsters auto-adapt to your level (or by your kill/death-ratio) you can never tell how good you really are (in comparison to what the designers thought you "should" be in this certain area of the game or in comparison to your buddy). It might be a good solution for the casual player who just wants to spend five minutes killing some random monsters without thinking about the meta-game at all.
But if you spend more time with your game and your characters, you want to have a tell whether you have a good build (skills, items etc.) or not.

For this, rather narrow level-ranges in the proxies are the way to go. But in this case you must indeed offer different routes through a level with various pockets of monster-levels. Otherwise you are quickly too strong or too weak for an area.

And: the range between strong and weak players are getting wider and wider if you don't implement counter-measures, making balancing a nightmare.

So, i'd think, a general monster-level cap is needed for each bigger map. Apart from that a usually good way to give the player a choice is the "big road" in the middle of the maps: monsters near the big road are easy (but don't drop very good loot). Left and right in the wilderness there are the vicious monsters with higher levels and better loot (to counter the faster progression for "roamers", the xp-gain from the harder monster is slightly less than from the ones near the big road)
Like this the "roamers" have more frantic and hard gameplay but better loot and the casual folks progress quicker through the levels (both character levels and map areas). Everybody wins.
Hi PinkFrog!

Are you the big TQ:It masteries maker PinkFrog? Welcome here !!!! I'm glad to see you again! With your join we get a strong supporter/modder.

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFrog View Post
I like the "challenge" idea of an area: [...]

For this, rather narrow level-ranges in the proxies are the way to go. But in this case you must indeed offer different routes through a level with various pockets of monster-levels. Otherwise you are quickly too strong or too weak for an area.

And: the range between strong and weak players are getting wider and wider if you don't implement counter-measures, making balancing a nightmare.

So, i'd think, a general monster-level cap is needed for each bigger map.
Did you read this? medierra wrote it more than 8 months ago. It feels like a good middle way.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWasp View Post
Hi PinkFrog!

Are you the big TQ:It masteries maker PinkFrog? Welcome here !!!! I'm glad to see you again! With your join we get a strong supporter/modder.
Yup, that's me sorry for late joining ^^

@ eisprinzessin: yeah i've read that prior to posting (as one should hehehe). I added the twist with the xp and the "big road" that makes orientation for both casuals and roamers easier... so it's building on what medierra said.
Closed Thread

Tags
difficulty, spawning, world