Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Praetorian

Default [Suggestion] Some Mythical Codex of Truths buffs

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8656

So, granted, this item did get a little more usable recently as a result of Gandarr having its cooldown slashed, but...I still feel like it could do with a few improvements, because I'm honestly struggling to find much of a reason to use it. At the very least, I feel like it should:
  • Have its Gandarr DA reduction mod turned into stackable -reduction instead.
  • Have +% cold/frostburn damage added.

The masteries that this item supports (Demo and Inquis) both already have access to Reduced target's Defensive Ability via Flashbang and Hagarrad's Biting Cold. Flashbang is a staple of almost every Demo build, so the likelihood of a Purifier needing this Gandarr mod is very slim indeed, not to mention that Flashbang's DA reduction is already 50 higher at only the softcap, and it lasts an extra second. True, this does mean you can invest less in Flashbang, but it'll still be worth putting some points into the skill line for Searing Light anyway, so you can't really escape wanting/needing it entirely.

Biting Cold is a similar story, what with its DA reduction being 50 higher even at the softcap. While I'm sure its not the only build out there that may want to use Gandarr, chances are a Purifier thinking about doing so is considering using the Rimetongue set. The star weapon of Rimetongue builds appears to be Mythical Crescent Moon, and this also happens to support Hagarrad, so its not like investing in Biting Cold is something you even have to really go out of your way for, since there's a good chance you might want to use it in your build anyway. Mythical Codex of Truths needs to compete with a second Mythical Crescent Moon (which admittedly is a little more difficult to equip for a non-Nightblade class, but still), and I don't feel like it does.

The skills that it boosts don't exactly help it be competitive either. Heavy Ordnance? A Mortar Trap build already has a number of other, possibly better options - Terrnox's Arcane Tome, Mythical Codex of Eternal Storms, Mythical Anderos' Amplifier, Dagallon's Other Gun.

Likewise, Storm Box has a bunch of options too, though I admit I've not fiddled around with those items too much.

Granted, casting speed and +1 to all Demo and Inquis skills is nice, but...regardless of that fact, I can't find much use for it, and from what I've seen not too many other people have either. But feel free to prove me wrong.

So yeah, I think that 200 DA reduction would be a more interesting prospect if it could be used on top of Flashbang/Biting Cold. Maybe the 200 figure might need lowering a little if that were to be the case?

+% cold damage of similar values to the current fire/lightning values would simply be a nice addition that makes sense, considering that the best Gandarr support in the game right now is a pierce/cold set.

inb4 Gandarr's skill type doesn't support stackable DA reduction or something
Old 01-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Champion

Wait... that codex just sucks... The active is worthless no matter how you look at it, bosses are not affected by it. It should be a HoG based item. I mean, Horn of Gandarr is not a good skill, no one actually picks it (and if they do, only to proc stuff), so it'd be nice to have something that enables the usage of HoG in general, not only for particular builds.

-2 sec CD to HoG, +WD would make it nicer, for sure.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:46 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER_NAME_01 View Post
Wait... that codex just sucks... The active is worthless no matter how you look at it, bosses are not affected by it. It should be a HoG based item. I mean, Horn of Gandarr is not a good skill, no one actually picks it (and if they do, only to proc stuff), so it'd be nice to have something that enables the usage of HoG in general, not only for particular builds.

-2 sec CD to HoG, +WD would make it nicer, for sure.
If they want the item to be based around Horn of Gandarr a skill mod that converts 100% piercing to fire would also be warranted.