Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
Am I the only one who thinks time travel is overdone and really, lazy? Storylines get so messy whenever someone decides to retcon something they didn't like, I'd rather they just didn't. It's really difficult to write a good storyline whenever you mess with this.
It depends on what they do with it. For the moment, it was an excuse to use the same level again: new enemies, same level design. In this case, it's lazy indeed.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Champion

That's a pretty lazy way to quickly create more content I suppose.

What I'm thinking of though is that writers tend to use time travel as a crutch. When they've written themselves into a dead end, introduce time travel, retcon everything. They never go to the logical extreme either, which would be an escalating series of jumps back in time, each one further back than the last. Eventually someone will break the universe, but for some reason very few writers are willing to go there...
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
Am I the only one who thinks time travel is overdone and really, lazy? Storylines get so messy whenever someone decides to retcon something they didn't like, I'd rather they just didn't. It's really difficult to write a good storyline whenever you mess with this.
I can see what you mean. The premise and the basic lore that was shared with us is what has got me intrigued. But of course, I am cautiously optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzzzz View Post
UI: simple and efficient tough it is lacking some info on the tool tips and the character sheet. For instance, you can't see your "ward" stats (same thing as Energy Shield in PoE) and when selecting a skill, you can't see the next step if you want to put a point in it. This is what bothered me the most because on top of that you can't cancel points invested. But, still in Beta, so ...
I think the tooltip thing has been loudly voiced already so they definitely are aware of it and likely will get it fixed soon. I also think the lack of diversity in monster models has been voiced. I do hope they fix the latter but to be frank before that I hope they fix the complete animation quality of the game. It still looks rigid to me personally.

--------
Mods-
Spoiler!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
I think the tooltip thing has been loudly voiced already so they definitely are aware of it and likely will get it fixed soon. I also think the lack of diversity in monster models has been voiced. I do hope they fix the latter but to be frank before that I hope they fix the complete animation quality of the game. It still looks rigid to me personally.
Nice to hear the community has the same feeling. And indeed, it's rigid and there are still some texture bugs.
One interesting mechanic I didn't mention: they included the little sister of "chance to crit" in defence: you have a chance to divide by 2 a hit coming to you.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Ascendant

Quote:
Nice to hear the community has the same feeling. And indeed, it's rigid and there are still some texture bugs.
One interesting mechanic I didn't mention: they included the little sister of "chance to crit" in defence: you have a chance to divide by 2 a hit coming to you.
Sounds nice

Also interesting video -

One gripe I have about the game is the health\mana globes. Personally would have preferred them to use something different than the Diablo styles globes (this is coming from a DII fan).

--------
Mods-
Spoiler!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Advocate

Thanks for posting that video - very interesting! I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this when it gets closer to release.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:24 AM
Praetorian

Does it have (or will get) 'local' MP (MP without closed servers) ?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Champion

The title of that video, new hammerdin, makes me slightly worried. The hammerdin was so overused I developed a severe dislike for it, back in the day. Mindless build, did everything with one button, everyone played it back on the D2 realms, so dull. Hope last epoch doesn't make that mistake...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 AM
Herald

Thanks for the link. I didn't completely grasp the depth of the crafting system. Now I have.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I didn't completely grasp the depth of the crafting system. Now I have.
You haven't.
All the crafting system is not implemented yet.

There will be the possibility to leave an item in an era with some catalyst and come back to pick it up improved in a future era.
There is no idea yet how much it will brings.